Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2020 WOKJ Movie Awards Brainstorming Thread 

What should the movie cut off date be.
February 28th - Same as Oscars 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
March 5th - Include Raya, Coming 2 America, Moxie, Boss Level and Spongbob 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

2020 WOKJ Movie Awards Brainstorming Thread 
The Kramer

Post 2020 WOKJ Movie Awards Brainstorming Thread
News of the World and Promising Young Woman both hit pVod today and unless I am mistaken, that's pretty much a wrap on 2020 movies.

Even though this was a terrible year overall, with most of the big movies departing for the greener pastures of 2021, I still think the show must go on. There was a lot of good stuff released this year, some of which probably would have been overlooked in a normal year rich with new releases. We have a Nolan picture, we have a Pixar, we have several (though not all) promising oscar contenders. There is plenty to make a quality ballot.

That being said, there are still many issues to address. Such as....

1) Do we extend the qualifying period like the oscars did?

-This is a Hard No from me as I think it is disrespectful to the films that actually came out in 2020. Nomadland, for example, chose to hold off its theatrical release until February, and thus became a 2021 film. However, I want as much participation as possible, and if someone really loves Nomadland or Minaru then go ahead and vote for it.

2) Do we only count US release?

-Usually this is the case, but again I want us to be as flexible as possible. So if you wanna vote for Demon Slayer go on ahead. If you wanna vote for Weathering With You, go on ahead. Films like Sea Fever and Yes God Yes were released at festivals in 2019, but didn't go to theaters (briefly) or ondemand until 2020, so they get to be included to.

3) Should Hamilton be included?

-Tough one, as this is tecnically a production that is five years old. Yet, if not for the D+ version, the majority of us would have never been able to see the show with the original cast, or possibly at all. Hamilton as a luxury is old, Hamilton for everyone is new. So I say yes, it should be included, and be counted as a Documentary. Will be open to discussion though cause I know Hamilton winning BP wouldn't be the ideal outcome...

4) Should the nominations count be lowered?

Last year we had 10 best picture nominations, and 5-7 for everything else. In this weird year I'd be fine with only having 6 BP noms and 4/5 for everything else, based on a yet-to-be determined voting threshold. We shall see what was the appropriate amount of support.

I'm probably forgetting some things that need discussing, so feel free to fill out this thread with any concerns or suggestions.

I'll host if nobody else wants to. Sometime in mid February maybe? I will need some help with corraling votes though, as my previous experience with hosting the KJ League proved I was not very good at that part. Is Stacey Abrams avaiable?

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: 2020 WOKJ Movie Awards Brainstorming Thread
I can help you with housing the awards Flava'd.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Hold the door!

Saw almost nothing this year so probably couldn’t vote in these. Literally saw like 2 movies I liked.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:38 pm
Wallflower

I honestly feel like it would be confusing not using the same deadline as the Oscars. When the Globes and Oscars are nominating so many movies such as Nomadland, Minari, Judas and the Black Messiah (probably), Malcolm and Marie, etc... it would confuse our participants if they were ineligible. Plus I think we can use all of the eligible movies we can get.

I wish Hamilton were not eligible. I think it's weird to count a filmed version of a play amongst films (so happy the Oscars smartly made it ineligible). If we are going to I say only in the documentary category.

I will be fine with nomination count being lowered. There are much less contenders this year.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 pm
Top Poster

10 nominations would be really fun and interesting to see what random movies make the cut,

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
I honestly feel like it would be confusing not using the same deadline as the Oscars. When the Globes and Oscars are nominating so many movies such as Nomadland, Minari, Judas and the Black Messiah (probably), Malcolm and Marie, etc... it would confuse our participants if they were ineligible. Plus I think we can use all of the eligible movies we can get.

I wish Hamilton were not eligible. I think it's weird to count a filmed version of a play amongst films (so happy the Oscars smartly made it ineligible). If we are going to I say only in the documentary category.

I will be fine with nomination count being lowered. There are much less contenders this year.

I am in agreement with this as well.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:39 am
The Kramer

OK I’ve been convinced. The ceremony will be in mid April, ideally about a week before the Oscars air on the 25th.

Anyone else in favor of 10 nominees? I have ten I could place, but I figured most wouldn’t. Catch up on those films everyone.

And thanks for helping with the votes Cap. :thumbsup:

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes 10 nominees will be fun. We know only a few of them will be in running contention but it will be fun to explore.

I was anyways planning to run this so just counting things takes a good lot off my plate :thumbsup:

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:20 am
Wallflower

I'm ok with 10. I've certainly seen enough movies. Not as many I'm passionate about as usual but I could still make a top 10. Plus by then I'll have seen more anyway. I feel like I'll love Saint Maud and that's finally coming out in the US so it will be nice to see that before this.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm
Wallflower

I just tallied how many 2020 movies I've seen and there's been 83 so far. More than I thought there would be.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:40 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This thread for now will be moved to The Water Cooler (by sometime Sunday). Please make sure you join us there for more updates and we will also have the FYC thread featured soon as well.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I think I’ve seen ten movies total.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 am
Cream of the Crop

I've seen about 40, but most of them were trash and don't deserve a vote.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:03 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Steve wrote:
Easy solution here: watch more. :P

Palm Springs and The King of Staten Island would be my top picks for everyone. Actually watch as many comedies as possible. They filled the void left by all the departing high profile films.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:01 am
Indiana Jones IV

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Steve wrote:

Palm Springs and The King of Staten Island would be my top picks for everyone. Actually watch as many comedies as possible. They filled the void left by all the departing high profile films.

Hahaha, yes, fair point. I'm up to 12 now ;)

Tops for me so far are Soul, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, Palm Springs, Social Dilemma. But also, at this point New Mutants is in my top 10, so I should probably try to see more before the deadline.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:00 am
Wallflower

Steve wrote:

I watched Palm Springs the other night. Loved it. Also watched and loved Banana Split. Would recommend that. Both are two of my favorite comedies this year.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:52 pm
The Kramer

So Hamilton got nominated at the Globes. I like that, but I don't like that it got nominated for acting. So let's split it up.

Hamilton can be eligible for:

Picture
Direction
Cinematography
Editing
Sound Mixing
Documentary

Hamilton will not be eligible for:

Acting
Writing
Original Song
Set Design
Costumes

This way we can honor the people who made this version of Hamilton while keeping those who worked on the broadway version in the past.

Or is that too confusing?

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I would rather not have it competing all together but I like the way you framed it. Its a great play but I would not be nominating it for anything.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:14 pm
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I would rather not have it competing all together but I like the way you framed it. Its a great play but I would not be nominating it for anything.

This. The Oscars rejected it. Be like the Oscars. :P

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:18 am
The Kramer

The oscars deadline is February 28, but I’m gonna set ours at March 6. Unlike the academy, we like comedies and animation here at KJ and I hope Coming 2 America + Raya will help our users fill out a top ten that’s to their satisfaction.

Heck I’d even be willing to include Godzilla v Kong on the 31st if it helps. We could hold the ceremony until the 24th of April, the day before the oscars, if needed (and possible.)

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 pm
Teenage Dream

The oscars deadline is February 28, but I’m gonna set ours at March 6. Unlike the academy, we like comedies and animation here at KJ and I hope Coming 2 America + Raya will help our users fill out a top ten that’s to their satisfaction.

Heck I’d even be willing to include Godzilla v Kong on the 31st if it helps. We could hold the ceremony until the 24th of April, the day before the oscars, if needed (and possible.)

I would just stick with the Oscars eligibility period of January 1, 2020 - February 28, 2021.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:20 pm
Keeping it Light

I also like the Feb 28 cut-off.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 pm
Wallflower

I definitely like the idea of having the ceremony the day before the Oscars.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:13 am
The Kramer

I just think that including Raya and C2A will increase participation and many users will struggle to make a top ten without them. Plus both movies would be screwed by the time next years awards roll around. I dunno, I’ll be democratic and side with a strong majority (if there is one) but I really think it’s the right thing to do.

And to show my willingness to compromise, I’ll boot out Hamilton in favor of these two. :P

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:25 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'm with Flava'd on the cut off. Don't think we will get 10 movies otherwise.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next