Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Some updates on True Detective season 3 
Keeping it Light

Post Some updates on True Detective season 3
Quote:
After a stunning first season that gave us the existential buddy-cop pairing of Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Marty Hart (Woody Harrelson), a slow-moving, overly complex and critically panned (but actually not as bad as its reputation suggests) second season saw True Detective's ratings dip.

As a result, True Detective season 3 looked unlikely (really unlikely, actually – see below for more information on that) but recently, some key news reports have hit the trades suggesting that a third season isn't just possible, it's actually happening.

We've decided to play telly detective, and gather all the important info in one place.

So stop staring at those spirals in the sky and check out everything you need to know about True Detective season 3.

True Detective season 3 cast: Who's in it?

Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth in Marvel's Luke Cage
© MYLES ARONOWITZ/NETFLIX
This was the big news piece that got us hoping – Variety broke the news in July 2017 that Mahershala Ali, the Oscar-winning star of Moonlight, was in talks with HBO to join the cast of True Detective season 3. Which is obviously very exciting.

His involvement was officially confirmed later that month.

And Ali isn't just being tapped up to appear, he's going to be one of the leads. After experimenting with multiple leads in season 2, we wouldn't be surprised if showrunner Nic Pizzolatto went back to the dual-detective format of the successful opening season, or even opted for a solo detective.

Let the #TrueDetectiveSeason3 memes (in which tweeters post unlikely prospective pairings for the new series) begin!

True Detective season 3 release date: When's it coming back?

Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle in True Detective
© HBO
HBO still hasn't announced the third season officially, so your guess is as good as ours in terms of when it will air. What we do know is that Pizzolatto has teamed up with Deadwood creator David Milch to shape the season's narrative.

Two scripts are written – presumably as proof of concept – and Ali's being courted, so we'd say an official announcement isn't far away.

Let's hope the announcement is as lengthy and intricate as a Rust Cohle monologue.

True Detective season 3 Rust Cohle: Is McConaughey coming back?

Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle in True Detective
© HBO
When True Detective was announced as a concept, it was as an anthology series, in which the cast and cases would change from season to season, meaning that season 1's finale was definitely the last we'd ever see of Rust and Marty.

Or, um, was it? After the failure of season 2, we would totally understand if Nic Pizzolatto wanted to lean on the incredible characters he created in that perfect first season. And one of them is definitely keen to return.

"I've talked to Nic about it," McConaughey said. "It would have to be the right context, the right way.

"I miss Rust Cohle, man. I miss watching him on Sunday nights. I miss watching True Detective on Sunday nights... I was a happy man when we made that for six months."

You know, we miss him too – but not enough to tarnish his legacy with a lame ratings-boosting cameo. But it sounds like McConaughey would only come back if the concept was right, so if he is indeed announced as being part of True Detective season 3, it can only be a good sign.

True Detective season 3 'cancelled'? What happened there?

True Detective
© HBO
It seems strange to be even discussing the idea of a True Detective season 3, when the harsh reaction to season 2 made that seem impossible, before that instalment had even finished airing.

Last year, that decision looked official, as HBO moved Pizzolatto onto different projects under his development deal, including a Perry Mason reboot with Robert Downey Jr.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
Former HBO programming president Michael Lombardo was critical of True Detective season 2, even if he didn't call it an outright failure.

"Our biggest failures – and I don't know if I would consider True Detective 2 a failure – but when we tell somebody to hit an air date as opposed to allowing the writing to find its own natural resting place, when it's ready, when it's baked – we've failed," Lombardo admitted.

But something's clearly changed at HBO. Luckily, it looks like the channel, and Pizzolatto, are taking more time this time around.

"I have read five scripts for a third season," HBO programming present Casey Bloys told reporters in July. "I'm very, very impressed and excited about what I've read. I don't want to give away the storyline, but I really think they're terrific."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/true-detective/feature/a832605/true-detective-season-3-cast-release-date-rust-affleck/

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 am
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Some updates on True Detective season 3
The format is too good to give up. I want to re-visit Season 2 because I don't think it was as bad, it was just horribly convoluted without a clear-cut story to follow, whereas Season 1 was very clear what was happening, even with all the bizarre goings-on.

And I think Vince Vaughn was distracting in his role. I can't pinpoint if he was bad or the character was written poorly, but any time he was on screen, the show dragged.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 am
The Wall

I never watched Season 2. I lost interest at the end of Season 1. It became a bit too by-the-numbers your usual serial killer show at that point. It never really lived up to what it promised in the first few episodes.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:35 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It will need more than just Ali. Hopefully they get John Travolta or Kurt Russell.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I liked Season 1 less than others and Season 2 more than others. Overall I'd be happy to see it back.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:58 pm
now we know

Post True Detective - Season 3

Seems to be relying solely on Ali. Looks good though.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Looks promising so far. I am very interested to see how this combination of Ali and Dorff works out as it seems like they will definitely be the leads.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 pm
now we know

Ali & Dorff are such a step down from Colin Farrell & Vince Vaughn and McConaughey & Harrelson.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Is anyone interested in reviewing True Detective Season 3's premiere?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 pm
Forum General

I don't know about a full review, but I will definitely post my thoughts on it afterwards. Really excited to see this show back btw.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Forum General

First two episodes were fantastic IMO. I am loving the fact that this already feels closer to the slow burn storytelling of Season 1, but in a much different way. I know shit is going to hit the fan sooner or later and when it does its going to be intense. I also knew Ali and Dorff would be great choices as the leads for this season and it shows.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 am
New Server, Same X

Fucking fantastic premiere. Perfectly captures what made the first season so special and so good. There are elements that are slightly derivative of Season 1, but in the era of reboots, it feels a bit like a reboot of the series that should be four or five seasons deep by now.

I don't like completely writing Season 2 off. I think the show needed a shift in tone, just as much as Season 3 needed to go back to the darker roots. But so many issues I had with Season 2 had to do with these scenes and moments that felt more like a parody of the show. I remember Colin and Vince sitting across from each other in a bar, the singer belting out a melancholy tune, and just thinking how laughably bad it was. But there was a lot of good in the season. Buried beneath the bullshit is a good, welcome change to the format of the show. And I'd kind of love to see Rachel McAdams star in a future season with a better storyline.

I'm only on episode one, but I love it. Mahershala Ali is terrific, and Stephen Dorff is solid so far. It's hard to be as good as McConaughey and Harrelson, but they're definitely up there, especially Ali.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

Outstanding premiere. This is what the show should be, mysterious, dark, internal

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:16 am
Keeping it Light

I started watching this last week, almost up to date, just the most recent episode I haven't seen yet. It's great so far.
Ali and Dorff are the right guys for this story, and I really like McNairy and Ejogo too. It's definitely back to Season 1's roots, with the 2-man detective team and it totally works. It's not as pulsating as S1, but a huge step up again from S2 (which I liked too btw). The 3 generational time line cleverly turns the pages of this story with each episode.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 am
Keeping it Light

So just finished and the last 2 episodes and the ending to the crime are less spectacular as I hoped. The acting remained top notch, the relationship between Ali and Dorff (though he looks a bit odd in old man's makeup), and Ali and his wife are great and just watching for it alone as well.
By the end I was more fascinated about that, how their relationships developed instead of how the crime was solved. An impressive showing of TV. Ali especially deserves an award for his role, he's better than I've ever seen him on the big screen.

A

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm
Forum General

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything stuffp said. The ending was a bit anticlimactic, but overall I really did love this show. Truly superb performances from Ali, Dorff, Ejogo and McNairy. Even Michael Rooker's brief appearance in the last episode was great. Seeing how the relationships evolved definitely became more interesting than the mystery itself after a while, but I loved how there was a big revelation at the end of each episode that only left you asking more questions. If Ali doesn't get some kind of awards recognition for this I would be really surprised.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 pm
Extraordinary

I'm rolling along with this finally and have been enjoying it for the most part. I'm at the part where the Indian is about to get confronted by the gang of white folks. Overall, I'm enjoying the story and actors. I'm not a big fan of the three time periods but I'm looking forward to this mystery getting solved hopefully.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu May 30, 2019 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]