Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 36

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Excel wrote:
There are too many raving reactions from normal people and a bunch of top tier critics seemed to really enjoy it.

What you think of as a normal person is not a normal person.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 pm
Superman: The Movie

Excel wrote:
Just an FYI - "random people" are all 99% of reviewers are to 99.999% of movie goers.

But it's Cjohn at BOF and he's legit.

I say the following as someone who is going to see the movie tomorrow and still hopes to really enjoy it - Two days ago, did you think you'd have to resort to posting a review from someone like Cjohn (who is legit...maybe even too legit and not a rando with a similar hardon)?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of hate against this film on KJ, but don't care, I totally loved it
It was superb, of course there are some plot holes and flaws, nothing is perfect, but the execution, action, story and character development worked perfectly for me

Will see this again on Friday to give it a final grade, but so far it'd be an A/A+, call me a fanboy or whatever, but this is a great product....., most of you hate Snyder, but he, together with Terrio made a superhero masterpiece....... this thing is spectacular.

So sad it's being underrated and trashed by most critics, however GA will response differently, they will either like it or be divisive due to its final scene :D

Long Live DC, and gimme The Justice League of America film!

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:47 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Idk how the heck he thought that was fucking Cyborg in Batman's nightmare lol

I would assume because of the very mechanical looking suit. But it was still clearly Flash.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:36 am

Brian wrote:
I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of hate against this film on KJ, but don't care, I totally loved it

Actually, I think this will be one of the few places where you'll find people who liked this film. My Facebook Group is already tearing it apart and KJ is more DC leaning than Marvel.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Magnus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

The Marvel films have likable characters. The DC films, so far, don't. That's the difference. People are more lenient when they actually like and are invested in the characters in the film.

the difference is that MCU (and most big-budget blockbusters) doesn't aspire to be dramas. MoS/BvS do and failed. People are tougher on films that attempt drama and fail rather than films that don't care.

You both bring good points

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:20 pm
Extraordinary

Tearing it apart? Like what is so atrocious to tear it apart about? Are these comic book/into entertainment news people in your group or general audience people?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:21 pm

nghtvsn wrote:
Tearing it apart? Like what is so atrocious to tear it apart about? Are these comic book/into entertainment news people in your group or general audience people?

It is a Facebook Group called Movie Talk. They are casual movie fans, much like me. Not that we all share the same opinions. Kinda like here.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 pm
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

The Marvel films have likable characters. The DC films, so far, don't. That's the difference. People are more lenient when they actually like and are invested in the characters in the film.

the difference is that MCU (and most big-budget blockbusters) doesn't aspire to be dramas. MoS/BvS do and failed. People are tougher on films that attempt drama and fail rather than films that don't care.

They think through DC films in ways they would never think through a marvel film, point blank.

W.B. should sue. #Trump

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:01 pm
Pure Phase

I hope they put this before the movie:

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm
Extraordinary

One thing about the actual 'fight'

Spoiler: show
I was really surprised that Superman didn't want to fight Batman but need his help to get his mother. He tries to say something at first but he certainly could've tried harder and be like "uh dude Lex is blackmailing me to kill you I need your help" as opposed to saying "dead already' line. It kinda took me out of the fight. I am keen to rewatch the film to see if I missed something though

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

^
Add to that the final fight Batman isn't doing much other than running. I really wanted him to hold on this own.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:37 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jack Sparrow wrote:
^
Add to that the final fight Batman isn't doing much other than running. I really wanted him to hold on this own.

What would you like for him to have done? He had one weapon that could've fought Doomsday, and he used it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:54 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am not sure what he could have done and I haven't read the JL comics enough to add anything from those. Its just my feeling, its not bad in any sense and seemed more logical to me in the movie. Just that as a Batman fan I wanted him to do more, he is the only "human" in the team but he is also the smartest but somehow that doesn't seem to be used in the movie outside of the planned BvS fight.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:36 pm
Quality is a great business plan

I kind of liked it. its definitely an improvement over MOS which was tiring to watch on screeen. Batfleck was terrific as batman and bruce wayne. There is not enough time for his backsstory except the opening montage around his parents death which was ok. Superman/Zod scene from Bruce wayne view was great. The batmobile scene was absolutely fantastic. it all built up to the big fight which was ok. The climax with doomsday was saved by wonder woman. The cameos of other JL members minus flash did not work.

Overall B+. Might see it again just for the batman scenes.

I still hope they fire snyder and get a better director for JL. The actors are ok. it just needs a director who can keep a coherant narration.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:34 pm

I'll expand on this when I get home, but I'll say this, and I say it without any irony or sarcasm -

I'll take Superman IV: The Quest for Peace any day of the week over this. ANY. DAY.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Jmart wrote:
I'll expand on this when I get home, but I'll say this, and I say it without any irony or sarcasm -

I'll take Superman IV: The Quest for Peace any day of the week over this. ANY. DAY.

Nice!

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (never thought I'd begin my review bring up this movie) is considered one of the worst comic book movies ever made because of its incompetence. The film is littered with poor special effects and horrible logic gaps (people can breathe in space!). But it was earnest. Gosh darn it, it was earnest.

I'd rather take earnestness over ugliness and joyless everyday of the week. EVERY. DAY. As I bet you could guess, those two words are how I would describe Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. And to make matters worse, this movie is supposed to set up an entire series of films. By the end of this one, I couldn't care less where this series goes. I am intrigued by the upcoming Wonder Woman film though. She's one of the LONE bright spots. But when she shows up, you just want to cheer. Sadly you don't though. You've already seen it in the trailer and the movie treats it as a "meh" moment.

Plus sides: The actors bring what they can to it. And if you want to get absolutely shitfaced, drink whenever God or the name Martha is mentioned.

*½ (D+)

The crowd left at the end (about a third) was pissed there was no after credits scene. On the bright side for the film, that means these people either liked it, have been trained to wait for another scene, or both.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Jmart wrote:
And if you want to get absolutely shitfaced, drink whenever God or the name Martha is mentioned.

And drink at least double when it comes up at the end of the titular fight. Honestly, I almost felt embarrassed for being the only one in the sold-out theatre who was snickering at that moment.
A crazed psychopath who is (somehow) hellbent on killing the titan who indirectly caused the deaths of some of his workers suddenly stops JUST BECAUSE THEIR MOTHERS HAPPEN TO HAVE THE SAME NAME? Like, we all get that there's no way Batman is actually going to kill Superman, but really? Seriously? You can apply all the lazy symbolism that you want (Bruce is traumatized by his parents' deaths, sympathizes with the possibility of someone else losing a parent, yadda yadda), but it's still such a laughably dumb anticlimax that it feels like it should be in a How It Should Have Ended parody.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:58 pm
Cream of the Crop

Despite being cluttered with action, Batman v Superman is surprisingly dull. The only thing worse than the hokey melodrama is the misfire comedy of wink-wink shoutouts to character history. One battle you can't tear your eyes away from is the bad-acting shootout featuring Affleck v Cavill. This is dire. *F*

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:12 pm
Extraordinary

I watched it again and wasn't sleepy this time. I blame the 10pm screening time. This time it wasn't slow aND held my attention throughout. I still enjoyed this and was very much entertained. First viewing I thought they could have cut the peeks at the other meta humans but I liked that scene better this time. I really like the soundtrack and I like how it's so connected with man of Steel and just lends right into it. Maybe because mos has grown on me so much is another reason I enjoy the movie. My final grade will be

A

I'mean lookinget forward to the other films so hopefully this film can survive the negatives.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Webslinger wrote:
Jmart wrote:
And if you want to get absolutely shitfaced, drink whenever God or the name Martha is mentioned.

And drink at least double when it comes up at the end of the titular fight. Honestly, I almost felt embarrassed for being the only one in the sold-out theatre who was snickering at that moment.
A crazed psychopath who is (somehow) hellbent on killing the titan who indirectly caused the deaths of some of his workers suddenly stops JUST BECAUSE THEIR MOTHERS HAPPEN TO HAVE THE SAME NAME? Like, we all get that there's no way Batman is actually going to kill Superman, but really? Seriously? You can apply all the lazy symbolism that you want (Bruce is traumatized by his parents' deaths, sympathizes with the possibility of someone else losing a parent, yadda yadda), but it's still such a laughably dumb anticlimax that it feels like it should be in a How It Should Have Ended parody.

I don't get how it survived the first draft let alone make it in the actual movie.

And all that talk about Chris Terrio coming on board...right out the window.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

More thoughts

Take it away from Snyder. The man can paint a pretty picture (and then set it in the dark rendering it useless), but he's a shit storyteller and he has a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes Batman "Batman" and (and more importantly to me) Superman "Superman".

Get George Miller. Hell, even bring Bryan Singer back. Or maybe they can get that Robert Schwentke guy who just directed Allegiant. Almost anyone would be a better option.

And I know I said all the actors were fine, but the more I think about Eisenberg, the more and more I dislike his performance. I was one of his few defenders going in too, but his Luthor is really nothing more than an odd mix of the Riddler and the Joker.

Africa - This whole storyline screams of Snyder trying to be like Nolan and just not getting it. He's clearly trying to establish that his world is gritty and realistic. Why else would you include point blank shots to the head (albeit off screen). And none of it gels with the rest of the movie. Then again, not much else gels together in this movie.

What does Batman stand for at this point in his career? The branding is cool, but he doesn't seem to have much of a problem killing willy-nilly. I'd like to know because the movie doesn't even bother going into it. "Twenty years of seeing good people turn bad..." but fuck principles.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Jmart wrote:

The Quest for Peace is shit, batman and robin level shit fo sho.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

BJ wrote:
Jmart wrote:

The Quest for Peace is shit, batman and robin level shit fo sho.

Yeah. It is. :|

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next