Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Children of Men
The Dark Knight wrote:
5. Pulp Fiction (1994)
4. Boogie Nights (1997)
3. Awakenings (1990)
2. The Crying Game (1992)
1. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

I have the same three films in my top 5, but I totally don't get how Crying Game and Awakenings is in there.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument basically comes down to semantics. That we can defer rationalisations of meaning and hope and all that guff onto other entities, but that ultimately we're just creating another word for the idea of God.

Which is an awfully theocentric POV, IMO.

You mean, Theo-centric? :funny: I'll stop now.

Em, yes. But that's the big problem that post-Christian/post-theocratic worldviews have to contend with. It's what makes Christianity especially so bloody stubborn. It can contain its opposite within itself with remarkable ease.

This doesn't mean, btw, that this excludes any reading of the Human Project which does not posit it as a substitute for God. It's just that it's impossible for it not to find itself in a paradoxical bind once you equate it with God. Once the connection is rendered explicit, I don't know how it's possible to disentangle them except to put it aside and move on.

It's simple to disentangle them. One (Science) puts the onus and responsibility on human knowledge and ability, the other (God) shifts responsibility on a higher, non-existent being with magical powers that don't conform to logic or the laws of nature.

Children of Men may promote the same central tenets as Christianity (hope, redemption) but it presents them in a wholly different, more 'down-to-earth' and realistic manner, utterly rejecting the larger idea of God as he/she's been presented in the past, and projecting the things he/she's superficially represented in the past onto human beings themselves.

I haven't seen the film since its initial run, but I recall the evidence for the Human Project's existence/foundation/everything being scant at very best. To me that doesn't differ much with the notion of god. I mean, I suppose there's a fundamental difference between just the notion of something being a "god" and being "human," even if it assumes god-like abilities, but then again, the story of Noah's Ark takes on on those same "human" traits.

Last edited by snack on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Joker's Thug #3 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
5. Pulp Fiction (1994)
4. Boogie Nights (1997)
3. Awakenings (1990)
2. The Crying Game (1992)
1. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

I have the same three films in my top 5, but I totally don't get how Crying Game and Awakenings is in there.

Awakenings is a terrific film. It's one of those that either gets you or it doesn't. I can easily see how some people might find it a bit overly-sentimental, but personally I wept like a wee girl. In a good way!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:29 pm
Extraordinary

But in the film the solution doesn't arrive. It's assumed that the Human Project will be able to save Kee and humanity at large, but that's outside the confines of the film.

You might say that the film puts its faith in science, but faith is all it has to work with. For all intents and purposes, science might just be a matter of faith (through the Human Project). I mean, we don't actually know what the Human Project is. All we have is the idea of the Human Project.

That's not enough to disentangle science, as represented in the film, from traditional theology.

Edit: I see that snack and I are getting at the same thing :thumbsup:

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Snrub wrote:
minneapple wrote:
Snrubby, a certain someone wants me to tell you that votes cannot be merged.

What votes?

Posts still can though, right?

Wow, I'm still so embarrassed that this thread already exists in the Everybody's a Critic section. The sooner this is merged, the better.

In the meantime, if everyone would post their comments here to be merged later, or alternatively post their comments directly in the Children of Men thread here: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24043&start=550, that would be much appreciated.

Okay, you're becoming more transparent so let me give some advice. Be adamant against merging the threads for now, and let this one get to a bunch more pages all the while you stoking debate as best you can. THEN give in and request it to be merged. That's your only hope for taking the lead from TDK in the critics section.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Gulli wrote:
Im sorry Box until the Human Project shoots lightening out of its ass and has an affair with Zeus's wife its not God :nonono:

That's in the sequel!!!

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument basically comes down to semantics. That we can defer rationalisations of meaning and hope and all that guff onto other entities, but that ultimately we're just creating another word for the idea of God.

Which is an awfully theocentric POV, IMO.

You mean, Theo-centric? :funny: I'll stop now.

Em, yes. But that's the big problem that post-Christian/post-theocratic worldviews have to contend with. It's what makes Christianity especially so bloody stubborn. It can contain its opposite within itself with remarkable ease.

This doesn't mean, btw, that this excludes any reading of the Human Project which does not posit it as a substitute for God. It's just that it's impossible for it not to find itself in a paradoxical bind once you equate it with God. Once the connection is rendered explicit, I don't know how it's possible to disentangle them except to put it aside and move on.

It's simple to disentangle them. One (Science) puts the onus and responsibility on human knowledge and ability, the other (God) shifts responsibility on a higher, non-existent being with magical powers that don't conform to logic or the laws of nature.

Children of Men may promote the same central tenets as Christianity (hope, redemption) but it presents them in a wholly different, more 'down-to-earth' and realistic manner, utterly rejecting the larger idea of God as he/she's been presented in the past, and projecting the things he/she's superficially represented in the past onto human beings themselves.

I haven't seen the film since it's initial run, but I recall the evidence for the Human Project's existence/foundation/everything being scant at very best. To me that doesn't differ much with the notion of god. I mean, I suppose there's a fundamental difference between just the notion of something being a "god" and being "human," even if it assumes god-like abilities, but then again, the story of Noah's Ark takes on on those same "human" traits.

Yes, but even the story of Noah's Ark is entirely dictated and controlled by God. Even though The Human Project is scantly referenced and seen, it's very much the antithesis of God as represented in the bible. The very name 'The Human Project' is a kick in the face to organised religion and the idea of a God, as it's essentially deifying humanity itself. In the film, people have stopped pinning all their hopes on religion and God, instead they're relying on humans.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
Gulli wrote:
Im sorry Box until the Human Project shoots lightening out of its ass and has an affair with Zeus's wife its not God :nonono:

That's in the sequel!!!

Speaking of which, what happened to the TV series that was supposed to be happening?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 pm
Extraordinary

The TV series is still scheduled to go, in 2009, per imdb.

What do you make of that? I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Part of what makes Children of Men the film so great is how tightly wound it is. Precious little is spared, and you see just enough of the rotten world to get a sense of living in it would feel like, but it's not quite overkill (in my opinion).

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
The very name 'The Human Project' is a kick in the face to organised religion and the idea of a God, as it's essentially deifying humanity itself. In the film, people have stopped pinning all their hopes on religion and God, instead they're relying on humans.

But what IS the Human Project? All we see of it is a boat, and that's that. I mean, it could be anything. Even Darth Vader and his posse.

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Archie Gates wrote:
Snrub wrote:
minneapple wrote:
Snrubby, a certain someone wants me to tell you that votes cannot be merged.

What votes?

Posts still can though, right?

Wow, I'm still so embarrassed that this thread already exists in the Everybody's a Critic section. The sooner this is merged, the better.

In the meantime, if everyone would post their comments here to be merged later, or alternatively post their comments directly in the Children of Men thread here: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24043&start=550, that would be much appreciated.

Okay, you're becoming more transparent so let me give some advice. Be adamant against merging the threads for now, and let this one get to a bunch more pages all the while you stoking debate as best you can. THEN give in and request it to be merged. That's your only hope for taking the lead from TDK in the critics section.

I thought I was being transparent from the start. :unsure:

Technically, CoM still has the lead, I'm just working on keeping it (it's getting close).

Anyway Archie, how are you? What have you been up to? Come tell me in the CoM critics thread.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:40 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
The TV series is still scheduled to go, in 2009, per imdb.

What do you make of that? I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Part of what makes Children of Men the film so great is how tightly wound it is. Precious little is spared, and you see just enough of the rotten world to get a sense of living in it would feel like, but it's not quite overkill (in my opinion).

I imagine whoever makes the TV show will miss the point entirely and make it a straight adaptation - like The Shining TV movie.

I.e., shit.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:
The very name 'The Human Project' is a kick in the face to organised religion and the idea of a God, as it's essentially deifying humanity itself. In the film, people have stopped pinning all their hopes on religion and God, instead they're relying on humans.

But what IS the Human Project? All we see of it is a boat, and that's that. I mean, it could be anything. Even Darth Vader and his posse.

We see people on the boat, which, to me, indicates that no supernatural force was involved. And again, the name "The Human Project" is extremely indicative of the idea that Cuaron wanted to enforce. Theo's a cynical character, overlooking the religious zealots that permeate the background. His faith and hope is ultimately in humanity itself. Humanity's ability to take care of itself. That's the myth he's chasing, and it's the myth the film ultimately presents as the solution.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Also, Box, I think we should try our best to refrain from engaging in Dark Knight thread conversations until we've finished this potentially endless debate. Or, at the very least, respond to said conversations in this thread alone.

For example:

Shack: I believe the Christian and Shakespearian allusions of Harvey Dent's character are overly simplistic and transparent.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:53 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Magnus wrote:
Don't most people on this forum love it?

I have it in my top 75. Fantastic film.

Your top 75? I demand to know the other 74 films that trump it.

Feel free to list them one by one in separate posts.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:

We see people on the boat

They could be angels!

Your argument is persuasive, and I don't really have anything to counter it with. But I think we're both right, which is the reason why I said that the film finds itself in a bind re: The Human Project. It's just a matter of perspective, if you will, and not much else besides.

All this means is that we can go back and forth for dozens and DOZENS of pages.

:)

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

1984 > Children of Men....yes I went there.

College Boy Z

Snrub wrote:
As for you, Zingaling, I've just about given up on you. While taste itself is entirely subjective, I think I can honestly say that you have none when it comes to film.

Heh, okay?

If I actually cared what anyone on a movie forum filled with film snobs thought of my taste in film, I guess I'd be upset by that? But, honestly, I don't. For the record, I find CoM to be a solid film (B-ish); I just cannot understand the love for it. I'm not alone in that sentiment either, so...whatever. But at least it's closer to it than The New World. You or anyone else thinking that my taste sucks is irrelevant to me because, frankly, I think the same about most of you (that some people here are farrrr too involved in dissecting a film instead of trying to enjoy it for what it is, and stuff like that). :thumbsup:

That said, I still like you, Snrub. Chill out, though. I'm allowed to not like (or like less, because I still enjoyed CoM) what you do like.

Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Also, Box, I think we should try our best to refrain from engaging in Dark Knight thread conversations until we've finished this potentially endless debate. Or, at the very least, respond to said conversations in this thread alone.

For example:

Shack: I believe the Christian and Shakespearian allusions of Harvey Dent's character are overly simplistic and transparent.

Yeah, which is too bad because I wanted to write my review for the film after seeing it tomorrow. Guess I can do so here :whistle:

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

It was my favorite film of that year, above Pans and Departed, it is probably in my top 5 favorite films of all time.

Absolute masterpiece.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Eagle wrote:
It was my favorite film of that year, above Pans and Departed, it is probably in my top 5 favorite films of all time.

Absolute masterpiece.

Join the debate in the critics forum, then! Any debate! Initiate one!

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Also adding to Snrub's post, the title Children of Men can kind of be seen as a play on "Children of God"

Honestly, I think you could see it from both sides, as seen by the fact that the origin of the baby is never explained. For a person of faith in CoM's future, the baby could be seen as a modern day blessing of god, a jesus and saviour of the human race. For someone like Theo, who doesn't trust giving the baby to the world because he doesn't trust the idea of a baby saviour to override natural evil human behaviour, or doesn't believe in god because of the mess the non-fertile world turned into under his watch, the baby does not belong to god, it belongs to his mother and should grow in private in the seclusion of a group that believes in his humans first side. The movie never really specifies whether the baby is an act of god or just scientific luck, and leaving it up to interpretation and discussions like these debating the two sides of the science-god coin is just the point.

Or something like that.

edit: Box beat me to it :mad:

Last edited by Shack on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:01 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
As for you, Zingaling, I've just about given up on you. While taste itself is entirely subjective, I think I can honestly say that you have none when it comes to film.

Heh, okay?

If I actually cared what anyone on a movie forum filled with film snobs thought of my taste in film, I guess I'd be upset by that? But, honestly, I don't. For the record, I find CoM to be a solid film (B-ish); I just cannot understand the love for it. I'm not alone in that sentiment either, so...whatever. But at least it's closer to it than The New World. You or anyone else thinking that my taste sucks is irrelevant to me because, frankly, I think the same about most of you (that some people here are farrrr too involved in dissecting a film instead of trying to enjoy it for what it is, and stuff like that). :thumbsup:

That said, I still like you, Snrub. Chill out, though. I'm allowed to not like (or like less, because I still enjoyed CoM) what you do like.

You'd be allowed to not like what I like if what you didn't like had any rhyme or reason to it, but frankly your taste baffles me. I imagine you're the kind of guy who pretends to like critically panned films just to go against the grain.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 pm
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
Also adding to Snrub's post, the title Children of Men can kind of be seen as a play on "Children of God"

It's a quote from the Bible.

Quote:

Oh, that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
- Psalms (ch. CVII, v. 21)

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Snrub wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:

Heh, okay?

You'd be allowed to not like what I like if what you didn't like had any rhyme or reason to it, but frankly your taste baffles me. I imagine you're the kind of guy who pretends to like critically panned films just to go against the grain.

Hardly. I like tons of critically acclaimed films. I don't prefer them always over other films, but I do like tons of films that are considered great films.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next