Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Children of Men
I need to watch it again

I don't trust 16 year old Shack's movie taste :tears:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:41 pm
Extraordinary

WAITTTTTTTTTTT

you're not actually interested in post-structuralism, are you? You're just trying to get more posts in this thread!!! :mad:

:wub2:

:D

:thumbsup:

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

a bore with a slap in the face ending.

B- .. at best.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

bABALINA wrote:

B- .. at best.

Ignore him he's a lover of farm animals and possibly farmers.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:44 pm
Begging Naked

I guess I like it.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Box wrote:
Oh and by the way, Children of Men is one of the most Christian films I've ever seen. And I don't mean in the shallow new baby = baby Jesus thing. Its conceptualization of hope and redemption are profoundly Christian.

But Christianity's conceptualisation of hope and redemption wasn't exactly original. The themes represented in both the bible and Children of Men are themes that have existed in some form or another long before both works existed. How those themes are realised in both works, on the other hand, are very different.

Well, actually, the answer in both cases is pretty similar. Hope functions as a means of deferring the solution to one's current situation onto some future time, and in the case of Theo, quite literally in the afterlife (after his life).

I wouldn't particularly stress the Christian link were it not for the fact that Children of Men the film is based on a novel which is blatantly and emphatically Christian. Cuaron's CoM is a different work, of course, but residues of that element of the novel remain in the film.

More importantly, given its plotline in conjunction with its context, it's pretty much impossible for Children of Men not to be influenced by Christianity. Like all, and I mean ALL, apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic works, its basis is in Revelation, which, although it was in turn inspired by the prophetic writings of the Hebrew Bible, is unquestionably the central text of apocalyptic works, at least in the West.

The link, though, isn't merely one of indirect influence. Children of Men attempts, among other things, to provide a solution to humanity at a hopeless juncture in its existence. It doesn't really come up with a solution (it wouldn't be a masterpiece if it did), but it posits forth some kind of vague notion involving a sanctuary at sea called the Human Project. Having abandoned religion as a solution, it plunges back right into it. The idea of the Human Project, that something beyond the present whose existence activates hope within oneself, giving one a purpose to strive for, is nothing more than the concept of God re-named.

I do think comparing the film Children of Men to the novel is entirely unfair, just because of how completely different from each other they turned out to be. The film does everything in its power to distance itself from the Christian themes the book had, even going so far as to make a joke about the virgin birth.

As to the points made in your last paragraph, I'd again argue that it's another case of the film distancing itself from Christianity and God. It's easy to superficially take The Human Project as a metaphor for God, but I personally take it as a literal rejection of God. The film abandons God from the outset, and the source of the human race's eventual - possible - salvation (by way of The Human Project) turns out to be science.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
WAITTTTTTTTTTT

you're not actually interested in post-structuralism, are you? You're just trying to get more posts in this thread!!! :mad:

:wub2:

:D

:thumbsup:

It's half and half. I AM enjoying this particular discussion. But that's because I love Children of Men so. :)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:48 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Best depiction of a modern urban warzone goes to - Children of Men.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:49 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:

As to the points made in your last paragraph, I'd again argue that it's another case of the film distancing itself from Christianity and God. It's easy to superficially take The Human Project as a metaphor for God, but I personally take it as a literal rejection of God. The film abandons God from the outset, and the source of the human race's eventual - possible - salvation (by way of The Human Project) turns out to be science.

But science is nothing more than yet another hypostate for God.

And a pretty lame one at that.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Last edited by Box on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Best depiction of the future in general (IMO) goes to - Children of Men.

I think this thread deserves a poll. So as to collate people's grades of the film in an easily readable manner.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:

Even Quantum String Theory!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm
Extraordinary

I'm not arguing that CoM doesn't reject traditional notions of God. It's obvious to me, at least, that it does (and I like it more for that, ha!).

The problem is that it finds itself in a bind by doing so. I have to explain it in a round about way: Foucault criticized (implicitly) Barthes and others who celebrated the death of the author in the 1960s, because he argued that when they got rid of the author (and God is the ultimate author), all that they did was to defer the author's authority onto a transcendental anonymity.

Children of Men doesn't go quite that far, because it posits the Human Project as an alternative. But it's not, and it can't be. It's just another mask, like the traditional God, to contain that transcendental anonymity in such a way as for it to make sense to us. For all intents and purposes, it might just be God (even if it is there as a disavowal of God).

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post-Structuralism....what is that?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm
Draughty

bABALINA wrote:

B- .. at best.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Gulli wrote:
Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:

Even Quantum String Theory!

Especially Quantum String Theory :ninja:

MadGez wrote:

Profile WWW
Too Brilliant for Introductions

Snrub wrote:
I think this thread deserves a poll. So as to collate people's grades of the film in an easily readable manner.

The poll is simply a repetition of the one of the critics forum, though.

Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
I need to watch it again

I don't trust 16 year old Shack's movie taste :tears:

What he said.

But replace the 'h' with an 'n' and the capital 'S' with a lowercase one.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:57 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
I'm not arguing that CoM doesn't reject traditional notions of God. It's obvious to me, at least, that it does (and I like it more for that, ha!).

The problem is that it finds itself in a bind by doing so. I have to explain it in a round about way: Foucault criticized (implicitly) Barthes and others who celebrated the death of the author in the 1960s, because he argued that when they got rid of the author (and God is the ultimate author), all that they did was to defer the author's authority onto a transcendental anonymity.

Children of Men doesn't go quite that far, because it posits the Human Project as an alternative. But it's not, and it can't be. It's just another mask, like the traditional God, to contain that transcendental anonymity in such a way as for it to make sense to us. For all intents and purposes, it might just be God (even if it is there as a disavowal of God).

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument basically comes down to semantics. That we can defer rationalisations of meaning and hope and all that guff onto other entities, but that ultimately we're just creating another word for the idea of God.

Which is an awfully theocentric POV, IMO.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Eventine wrote:
Snrub wrote:

The poll is simply a repetition of the one of the critics forum, though.

(minus the F)

It is?!! Oh my god, I didn't even know there was a critic's forum! I guess the mods will have to merge this thread with that one whenever they spot it. Oh my, what a fool am I.

Ah well, no harm no foul.

That said, I'd still love to hear what you thought about Children of Men, Eventine.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:05 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument basically comes down to semantics. That we can defer rationalisations of meaning and hope and all that guff onto other entities, but that ultimately we're just creating another word for the idea of God.

You mean, Theo-centric? :funny: I'll stop now.

Em, yes. But that's the big problem that post-Christian/post-theocratic worldviews have to contend with. It's what makes Christianity especially so bloody stubborn. It can contain its opposite within itself with remarkable ease.

This doesn't mean, btw, that this excludes any reading of the Human Project which does not posit it as a substitute for God. It's just that it's impossible for it not to find itself in a paradoxical bind once you equate it with God. Once the connection is rendered explicit, I don't know how it's possible to disentangle them except to put it aside and move on.

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

The Dark Knight wrote:
I dont know, I think we need a grade higher than an A.

I agree, but I am unsure of how adding such a grade will ultimately affect the eventual merge of this thread with another, already posted review thread, should one already exist. So I have decided to keep it mostly the same as this hypothetical thread's poll.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:10 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Im sorry Box until the Human Project shoots lightening out of its ass and has an affair with Zeus's wife its not God :nonono:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:11 pm
Town Bike

Snrubby, a certain someone wants me to tell you that votes cannot be merged.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:

You mean, Theo-centric? :funny: I'll stop now.

Em, yes. But that's the big problem that post-Christian/post-theocratic worldviews have to contend with. It's what makes Christianity especially so bloody stubborn. It can contain its opposite within itself with remarkable ease.

This doesn't mean, btw, that this excludes any reading of the Human Project which does not posit it as a substitute for God. It's just that it's impossible for it not to find itself in a paradoxical bind once you equate it with God. Once the connection is rendered explicit, I don't know how it's possible to disentangle them except to put it aside and move on.

It's simple to disentangle them. One (Science) puts the onus and responsibility on human knowledge and ability, the other (God) shifts responsibility on a higher, non-existent being with magical powers that don't conform to logic or the laws of nature.

Children of Men may promote the same central tenets as Christianity (hope, redemption) but it presents them in a wholly different, more 'down-to-earth' and realistic manner, utterly rejecting the larger idea of God as he/she's been presented in the past, and projecting the things he/she's superficially represented in the past onto human beings themselves.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

minneapple wrote:
Snrubby, a certain someone wants me to tell you that votes cannot be merged.

What votes?

Posts still can though, right?

Wow, I'm still so embarrassed that this thread already exists in the Everybody's a Critic section. The sooner this is merged, the better.

In the meantime, if everyone would post their comments here to be merged later, or alternatively post their comments directly in the Children of Men thread here: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24043&start=550, that would be much appreciated.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next