Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Sandman (Netflix) 
Hold the door!

Post The Sandman (Netflix)
I just read the graphic novel and the trailer looks like they captured it beyond the ridiculous amount of gender and race swapping here. Can't imagine how they tried to make it mainstream as the book is quite artsy.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:32 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Sandman (Netflix)
I'll watch this next week. I'm a big fan of the books, especially the later ones, so hoping that its both good and avoids the ever swinging Netflix axe.

Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:23 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I'll watch this next week. I'm a big fan of the books, especially the later ones, so hoping that its both good and avoids the ever swinging Netflix axe.

It adapts the first 2 volumes, Preludes and Nocturnes and The Doll House. so none of the later ones

Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:37 pm
Quality is a great business plan

I thought it was very good. Series is kind of 2 parts. 1st five episodes have a flow and then there is a stand alone episode and 7-10 episodes are part 2 where Sandman plays a secondary role. That said it was unique from atypical SH series. I think its successful enough to warrant 2nd season as well. The final scene did set it up for sure. Cast were great and I especially like Tom Sturridge as Sandman and Boyd Holbrook as the creepy Corithian.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:33 pm
The Kramer

Sandman race/gender swapped 80% of the characters, probably going for the all time record, but they still have The Corinthean out here looking like Orange Cassidy. :funny:

The series started off very rough. I almost quit it during the third episode, and had a whole bit about how this series was going to cause Disappointment to join the Endless. But I kept on knowing of the big moments coming up and it finally rights itself in episode 6, where they adapt two of the best comic issues (the one with Death and the one with Hobb.) The second part of the season, The Doll's House, continues on this path and works very well.

I'm wondering how many seasons they'll go with since it seems like its been fairly successful thus far. Obviously they set up Seasons of Mist for next time around, and I assume they'll do A Game of You as the second half of the season as they did this year. Do they then wrap it up with season 3, or stretch out Brief Lives into a full season and end it with the cliffhanger that leads into The Kindly Ones?

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:00 pm
Hold the door!

I think I read they did a 5 season treatment. But I can’t imagine them doing less than 4 seasons if they want to cover the standalone issues, which it seems they do.

My choice would be
Season 2 Season of Mists+Game of You
Season 3 Brief Lives+Worlds End
Season 4 The Kindly Ones+the Wake

They will probably do Dream Country +Tales in the Sand in Season 2 as well. They can distribute Fables and Reflections between season 3 and 4

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:14 pm
Hold the door!

2 part bonus episode adapting Calliope and Dream of a Thousand Cats woot woot released today!

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:44 am
The Kramer

Good timing, I'm cancelling netflix tomorrow and needed one more thing to watch tonight. :D

Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:19 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Mostly in agreement with Flava. First half was not as good as the second half, but I still mostly enjoyed the first half too. Really got going with the Death episode (who I thought was cast terrifically, she was wonderful I need more of her).

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:01 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Mostly in agreement with Flava. First half was not as good as the second half, but I still mostly enjoyed the first half too. Really got going with the Death episode (who I thought was cast terrifically, she was wonderful I need more of her).

She's from The Good Place

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:37 pm
The Kramer

I think Death has the most iconic look of any character from the books, so changing it was a huge risk. But yeah luckily the actress nailed it so well that there was no further questioning the choice.

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Just finished it (as well as the two-part episode 11), and I have to say it was probably as good as it could get. Very faithful, and takes the opportunity to expand on various characters.

Here's hoping Netflix doesn't cancel it now. Anything except Netflix announcing season two doesn't convince me it'll happen. It was worth watching, certainly, but I hate getting invested in a show and it's a one and done affair. If that happens here, it'll probably be the last time I even watch a Netflix show until its fate is known.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]