Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 What should NBC do with thursday nights? 
Draughty

Post What should NBC do with thursday nights?
NBC is getting clobbered on Thursday, any ideas? Move Deal or No Deal to an hour earlier? Or put Studio 60 on at 9 eastern? I lean towards that their only chance is to focus on comedy since that offers something CSI and GA doesn't. ER is doing alright in the ratings, it seems, though personally I'm tired of it being around.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Personally, the only show on NBC I care about is The Office, so as long as they move it to a spot where it can get good ratings, I'll be happy. And Thursdays is not it. I think NBC is still trying to hold on to the 90s when they owned Thursdays with comedy. But whoever had the idea of moving Deal or No Deal to 8 and putting the Bob Saget show at 9 had a good idea.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:31 pm
Superman: The Movie

I'd keep it exactly as is for now. ER is fine. Deal or No Deal is doing decently. The only thing that is concerning is Ugly Betty beating Earl and The Office. I really don't think Betty is going to consistently beating these two shows, at least by that margin. WOM has been all over the place. If Betty continues to get those staggeringly high numbers (And the only reason it did well is probably because of the constant ad's run during Grey's, etc.) then I like Mr. X's idea of moving Earl and The Office to Wednesday nights.

As long as The Office and Earl aren't cancelled, I'll be happy.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't think NBC could really do anything to get more or better ratings than it does on Thursdays.

ER is doing fine. Deal or No Deal is the PERFECT show to put up against Anatomy and CSI. It's reeling in 10 million viewers a week and that's not bad at all against the combined 47 million viewers CBS and ABC are pulling in.

I only wish their comedies were a bit stronger but they don't really have anything else.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:57 pm
New Server, Same X

8-10pm: My Name is Earl, The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs
10: Law and Order (doesn't matter which one)

Thursday:
8: The Biggest Loser
9: Deal or No Deal
10: ER

Loser and Deal are far from compatible, but they fit better than Earl/Office and Deal. On Wednesday, they could try their hand at a new comedy block.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:58 pm
Forum General

I've always had problems with 2 hour comedy blocks.

It seems like they can really hit it good (old nbc thursdays, old abc tgif, cbs' mondays this season) but I feel sitcomes and comedies just aren't strong enough nowadays to really anchor a big block of scheduling time.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:22 pm
Forum General

I've always had problems with 2 hour comedy blocks.

It seems like they can really hit it good (old nbc thursdays, old abc tgif, cbs' mondays this season) but I feel sitcomes and comedies just aren't strong enough nowadays to really anchor a big block of scheduling time.

In terms of popularity, yeah, probably not.

But in terms of quality, The Office, My Name is Earl, Scrubs, and 30 Rock would be the best grouping of comedies since NBC's comedy heyday. (Granted, I haven't seen 30 Rock yet, but I'm willing to go out on a limb.)

I don't know if NBC would be willing to do such a thing, though. Office, Earl, and Scrubs have all pulled moderate numbers throughout their runs but nothing big enough to anchor a night.

If 30 Rock does well, though, hmmm...

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I don't get why they put the family game show Deal or No Deal on at a relatively adult time slot, and the adult comedy shows Earl and Office on at the family hour. It seems backwards.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Move Earl and the Office to tuesday night, those are the two best comedies and its getting slaughtered thrusday night. I think that time slot is dead for NBC so they may as well air some of those reality crap like Fear Factor,Apprentice,and DEal or No Deal. Tuesday is where they can win the war with Law & Order and Earl/Office

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:31 pm
Sbil

I don't get why they put the family game show Deal or No Deal on at a relatively adult time slot, and the adult comedy shows Earl and Office on at the family hour. It seems backwards.

Probably because they didn't want Earl/Office to get totally slaughtered by Grey's and CSI.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Forum General

Move Earl and the Office to tuesday night, those are the two best comedies and its getting slaughtered thrusday night. I think that time slot is dead for NBC so they may as well air some of those reality crap like Fear Factor,Apprentice,and DEal or No Deal. Tuesday is where they can win the war with Law & Order and Earl/Office

Yeah, after Dancing with the Stars is over and House goes to 9, I think Earl and Office would do great at 8.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:14 pm
Sbil

El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:

Yeah, after Dancing with the Stars is over and House goes to 9, I think Earl and Office would do great at 8.

What would they do with Friday Night Lights then?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:21 pm
Forum General

jujubee wrote:
El_Masked_fuerte_grande wrote:

What would they do with Friday Night Lights then?

Well, why don't we wait and see how the premiere does and see if we even need to worry about that.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:10 pm
Forum General

Thursdays used to be owned by NBC. Then CBS claimed it. The tide may turn to ABC or may sit at a good rivalry for a couple years.

NBC just has to wait till it's the right time. CSI can't last forever ;)

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:25 pm
Draughty

By the way The Office has been big on iTunes. The premiere episode was the most downloaded TV show for the whole of the last week, edging out GA. Which makes me wonder if a significant part of it's audience is just not bothering it tune it in and is catching it later on itunes? I know one or two people here do that but I wonder how common it is.

Right now as I type this the numbers 1 and 3 most downloaded TV shows on itunes are Office. (GA is 2). Could that be affecting the ratings in a bad way or is it all good?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

By the way The Office has been big on iTunes. The premiere episode was the most downloaded TV show for the whole of the last week, edging out GA. Which makes me wonder if a significant part of it's audience is just not bothering it tune it in and is catching it later on itunes? I know one or two people here do that but I wonder how common it is.

Right now as I type this the numbers 1 and 3 most downloaded TV shows on itunes are Office. (GA is 2). Could that be affecting the ratings in a bad way or is it all good?

Check out the current top 100 downloaded shows... The Office basically DOMINATES the entire chart. All3 seasons I believe!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:53 pm
Extraordinary

I sometimes think that NBC would do well by putting reruns of the Cosby Show, Friends, and Seinfeld on Thursday's... :tongue:

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I wonder why NBC has never debuted any new sitcoms, that was what Thursday nights for them was, and now they have none. Not single camera shows like Office and Earl, the multicamera Friends/Will & Grace -esque ones. I mean, they don't have ANY. Joey was their last attempt, and honestly I think that was never going to be succesful with how bad it was, so why not.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 pm
Begging Naked

Multi-camera shows aren't too popular with Adults 18-49 anymore. CBS Mondays may have the only hit comedies, but they all skew pretty old (Sans How I Met Your Mother).

As for Thursdays, NBC should just give up on the night. They made a big mistake last season by moving Earl and Office when they were so young, counting way too much on them to bring Thursdays to their former glory. Instead they lost viewers in the transition that probably aren't coming back. NBC should've just kept them on Tuesdays, AI be damned.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]