Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Dr. Lecter's TV Shows Summer Catch-Up - Update #15 
You must have big rats

Have you seen any episodes of The Shield? If not, I strongly recommend you to at least give it a try, Archie. It took me about five episodes to really get into it. I started out completely hating Chicklis' character and wasn't sure where the whole thing was gping, but really, by the middle of the first season it really won me over. I would go as far as saying that it *almost* replaced Lost as my favorite current TV show and it actually will if the third season stays just as good until the end. It is really the most engaging, interesting TV I have seen in a while. There are many twists and turns and the whole thing is just SO much more unconventional in comparison to the whole crap of CSI, Law and Order etc. I never liked any of those, but The Shield is awesome.

The only reason I keep watching House is Laurie.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

No I haven't seen any. Maybe I'll try it one of these days but like I said I just can't stand the sight of Chicklis, regardless of if his character is great or not.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Riggs27 wrote:
Chris wrote:
So The Shield should be my next TV show? Or maybe 24? I can't decide between the two.

:nonono:

I have seen the first season of "24". It's great entertainment and all, but The Shield goes even beyond that and has shown a consistency in quality over three seasons that I have rarely seen before.

I'm up to the 8th episode of the third season now and it is still almost as good as the first season.

Maybe but I'm watching the 4th season of 24 right now and the show still excites me like no other.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Riggs27 wrote:
Chris wrote:
So The Shield should be my next TV show? Or maybe 24? I can't decide between the two.

I have seen the first season of "24". It's great entertainment and all, but The Shield goes even beyond that and has shown a consistency in quality over three seasons that I have rarely seen before.

I'm up to the 8th episode of the third season now and it is still almost as good as the first season.

Maybe but I'm watching the 4th season of 24 right now and the show still excites me like no other.

Because you need to watch The Shield like me, one episode right after the other! :D

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

11 episodes into The Shield's third season. Worst of the three so far, but still great TV compared to almost all other series and especially impressive for a third season. Got four more episodes left.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Riggs27 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Riggs27 wrote:
Chris wrote:

Because you need to watch The Shield like me, one episode right after the other! :D

That works much better with 24, too. It's almost impossible for me to only watch one episode per day.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:31 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I finished th third seasaon of The Shield in a long session last night. While it was a bit of a step-down from the first two, as far as consistency and overall quality goes, I can officially announce The Shield as my #1 current favorite series, even ahead of Lost and it should secure itself a spot on my all-time favorites list of TV series. It is just awesome. The final three episodes were great. I actually wanted to sleep, but just couldn't stop watching until I finished it. I love how there are little compromises during the show and not many clichés. There are plenty of twists and turns and no clear-cut good/bad characters. Just great overall.

On another note, after some deliberation, I added Invasion to my list. Even though it was cancelled, I read some interesting things about the first (and only) season, so I decided to give it a try. For now, I'll take a break from The Shield and start the fourth season in a couple of weeks probably. I'll focus on House, Invasion and "24" now.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

You're in for a fun time, heh.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 pm
You must have big rats

Well, time for another update.

I watched the 9th and the 10th episode of House. While the former was pretty much more of the same old stuff, the 10th episode ended up being my favorite of the series so far. Very well-executed, with a nice twist, touching and most importantly, it didn't follow the scheme of most House episodes. For those wondering which one it was, it was the one about the homeless woman whose family died in that car accident. Great ending too and it somewhat makes up for the unimpressive episodes before it.

I started "24" Season 1 tonight. I must say that I have already seen it once, but that was about three years ago, so I wanted to refesh my memory. I watched the first six episodes in a row and I must say that it was a bit better in my memory than I perceived it now. Maybe it's because I just remember all the twists that made it so much fun. It is still solid and Sutherland is awesome as Bauer. I'll wait and see.

Moreover, I updated my list of to-be-seen series in the first post. I added Invasion and Surface to it because the latter just started airing here in Germany and the fomrer had a pretty interesting plot. For now, I'll try to finish "24" within the next days and then go on to Invasion, Surface and House, M.D. In 2-3 weeks, I hope to start the fourth season of The Shield which, so far, is my best experience TV-wise this summer.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Even though I can watch "24" all day and all night, it's never as good as when you first see it, sadly.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:52 pm
Team Kris

Even though I can watch "24" all day and all night, it's never as good as when you first see it, sadly.

Yeah just look at those Friday reruns.

(Note: Heh. I thought I was hallucinating when I was watching them this Friday, I thought, gee... these episodes aren't in sequence! And why is it almost ending!!! Then I found out they aired Gregory Itzin's two episode submissions for the Emmys.)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:56 pm
New Server, Same X

Mr. X wrote:

(Note: Heh. I thought I was hallucinating when I was watching them this Friday, I thought, gee... these episodes aren't in sequence! And why is it almost ending!!! Then I found out they aired Gregory Itzin's two episode submissions for the Emmys.)

Really? Weird. I heard they were ending the reruns next Friday, which sucks.

Good news: We're under six months from Season 6. :biggrin:

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:00 pm
Team Kris

Christian wrote:
Mr. X wrote:

Really? Weird. I heard they were ending the reruns next Friday, which sucks.

Good news: We're under six months from Season 6. :biggrin:

Yeah I think when the ratings dropped to under 2 million they decided to air the submissions for the supporting players. Since Kiefer submitted the first hour as his tape, they're not airing it again. I'm pretty sure next week they'll air the Jean Smart submission tapes, which appropriately, are the final two hours of Day Five.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:03 pm
You must have big rats

Been watching "24" the whole night, heh. I'm up to episode 14 now (1 pm - 2 pm). It is somewhat improving, but Joey is right. It is just not as good the second time around because I know the major twist at the end and see the whole series under a different angle now. Still, there were two really awesome episodes and the acting is all-around admirable. At first I wasn't fond of the whole subplot with Palmer and his son, but it rew on me now. The series is also pretty much the most suspenseful thing I have ever seen on TV. Kim's and Teri's rescue is awesome. Overall the first season is in the B+/A- range for me.

I have seen the pilot for Invasion yesterday and up until the final ten minutes I found it really crappy and dull, but the conclusion left me quite intrigued, at least intrigued enough to watch the next couple of episodes. Anyone else here saw the series?

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I watched "Invasion" on a Saturday night, and it seemed like a decent weekend show. Once I watched the next episode on the following Wednesday, I lost interest.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:31 am
You must have big rats

Finished the first season of "24" tonight. As I said before, knowing the one big ending spoiler since I have seen it a while ago, certainly jindered my enjoyment a little bit because I knew what would happen. Moreover, I noticed that the whole Palmaers subplot drags the flow of the story down a little. There were a few things besides that which I didn't find necessary. Nevertheless, it is a very well-made show and Kiefer Sutherland is the man! Even though I knew what would happen at the end, the season's finale is still one of the most gripping and superbly executed TV episodes I have ever seen. Suspenseful all the way through and with a perfect ending. I have seen the alternate ending that was filmed and, man, I'm so glad that it's not what they decided to go with.

Moreover, I have seen the pilot of BAC's new midseason series, Traveler and I can almost assure you, this is going to be another hit for ABC if the seires can keep up with the excellent pilot. It's fast-paced, celever and definitely wants you to keep watching. Bring it on!

Furthermore, I have seen the 11th episode of House tonight and after this episode and the last one, I can definitely say that the series is way on its way towards improvement. However, I still have that "Volger" stuff ahead of me which (as I read here) is supposedly pretty terrible. The series is definitely not as funny as it was at the beginning anymore, but the drama works well and Laurie can more than pull it off.

Now that I'm done with "24" for a while (till I buy the second season), I'll concentrate on House and Invasion which is hopefully better than many claim.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Hey Arthur, I've seen the whole season of Invasion recently, and would gladly recommend you to stick with it until the end. It's a quite decent show, and for me miles better than Threshold (guess for now comparable with it), and on par or slightly better than 4400 (which I need to see more, have to get Season 2, Episode 6+all later episodes).

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:28 am
New Server, Same X

Does "Invasion" end on a cliffhanger, or does it wrap up well enough to invest the time into it? I wouldn't mind watching the episodes I didn't see (all except the first two, pretty much).

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:50 pm
Story arc for first season finishes well, gives one cliffhanger for future episodes, but one where you know the outcome, and that is not really connected with what we've seen before. So, I'd say, it wraps it up well enough.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:11 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

It's a pity that they decided to cancel INVASION as I think it's a series that improves as it goes on. Right now they are showing episode 15 of 22 here.
Next week season 5 of 24 starts in Spain. I cannot wait any longer as it has become my favorite TV show ever, although like with Star Trek, I think the even seasons are better than the odd ones. Let's hope that season 5 breaks that curse. :happy:
HOUSE is one episode away from finishing its second season, and I'm hoping they continue soon with the second season of RESCUE ME.

Those, Lost and all 3 CSIs are basically the TV shows that I follow.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:39 pm
Oh, I think the curse for 24 is indeed broken. To me, it was magnificent. Although, I've seen only two seasons (4, and 5) with a bit of season 3 episodes. Glad you like Invasion Mr. Price. :)

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:51 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Have you seen the Masters of Horror and Nightmares and Dreamscapes series, Nebs? Those are the ones I'm most excited about from shows that haven't been released here yet. Although it seems that those are better described as mini TV movies than as a TV series.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:02 pm
Still not, but have my eyes set on some episodes that sound interesting. That's from Masters of Horror. As for NaD, haven't even heard of it before just now. But glanced a bit better this forum and saw Archie's thread about it. Guess King can't hurt. ;)

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:18 pm
You must have big rats

I definitely want to see Masters of Horror and Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I am just not sure whether I should blindly buy some episodes of the former. I many a lot of people here say it was mediocre, but the horror fan in me just has hard time believing it with all the talent involved.

Grades for the finished seasons from this thread:

The Shield Season 1 - A
The Shield Season 2 - A-
The Shield Season 3 - B+
"24" Season 1 - A-

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I recently finished Firefly. It was alright. The last few episodes are the best.

Don't know what to do next hmmm.

I hated Invasion, at the end of every episode they built up to this huge revelation, and then because it was TV they dashed it.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next