Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Dr. Lecter's TV Shows Summer Catch-Up - Update #15 
Forum General

I recently finished Firefly. It was alright. The last few episodes are the best.

Don't know what to do next hmmm.

Join the Six Feet Under club.

Is what I say.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I never liked Six Feet Under to be honest.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

(How much did you watch, if I may ask?)

No, but, um...

Would you happen to be interested in comedies? Arrested Development, though now defunct, is pretty brilliant.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I dunno. 3 or so episodes here or there. It really just didn't... hmmm...

I have a tough time with television. It has to be rather fast paced to keep my attention or introduce the "mystery" angle. Interpersonal conflict is great if there is a larger agenda.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I recently finished Firefly. It was alright. The last few episodes are the best.

Yeah, I was only mildly entertained by Firefly. I really don't get the Joss Whedon worship. He makes shows that are entertaining, but nothing that blows me away. Maybe an episode here or there is above average.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:56 pm
You must have big rats

I haven't been able to watch a lot of TV stuff recently due to my Ultimate Movie Mayhem participation, but I still keep watching House on weekly basis. I'm up to the 16th episode now, 5 more since the last update. Vogler has entered the scene a couple of weeks ago. I don't mind him as much as many fans of the show do. He's an annoying character, but he is supposed to be annoying, so that works well. I'm pretty sure by now that the series won't significantly improve from now on considering how formulaic each and every episode is, but I'll still keep watching it simply because Hugh Laurie delivers one of the finest and most delightful TV performances I know. I like the interactions between the main characters...it's just all the far-fetched cases each episode that I am not a big fan of.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I definitely want to see Masters of Horror and Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I am just not sure whether I should blindly buy some episodes of the former. I many a lot of people here say it was mediocre, but the horror fan in me just has hard time believing it with all the talent involved.

Grades for the finished seasons from this thread:

The Shield Season 1 - A
The Shield Season 2 - A-
The Shield Season 3 - B+
"24" Season 1 - A-

Nightmares and Dreamscape you can easily pass on them. They are nothing more than the New Twilight Zone episodes. Masters of Horrors although could have better is worth downloading especially if you are a horror fan but I wont go out of my way to buy the individual episodes.

This show may interest you or maybe not, comes out in fall
http://www.marinadraghici.com/Dexter.html

Sort of reminds me of American Psycho

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:03 pm
Forum General

Update #11

I haven't been able to watch a lot of TV stuff recently due to my Ultimate Movie Mayhem participation, but I still keep watching House on weekly basis. I'm up to the 16th episode now, 5 more since the last update. Vogler has entered the scene a couple of weeks ago. I don't mind him as much as many fans of the show do. He's an annoying character, but he is supposed to be annoying, so that works well. I'm pretty sure by now that the series won't significantly improve from now on considering how formulaic each and every episode is, but I'll still keep watching it simply because Hugh Laurie delivers one of the finest and most delightful TV performances I know. I like the interactions between the main characters...it's just all the far-fetched cases each episode that I am not a big fan of.

Just wait until Three Stories, epi 21. Best episode of the series.

Personally, by halfway through season 2, the kids annoy me so much that I could barely finish out the season. Hugh Laurie is almost not enough of a reason to even stick around anymore. :(

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:31 pm
You must have big rats

Started the fourth season of The Shield and up to the 4th episode now. So far's it's excellent and certainly better than the third season. It's the second-best first third of the series, just behind the first episodes of the second The Shield season. Hopefully it can keep it up from now on. It's a shame and a disgrace that the series has never been nominated as Best Drama Series at the Emmys yet.

Also started the second season of "24", up to the 9th episode. So far, the main story, the opne revolving around Bauer and Nina is better than what the first season had to offer, but the subplots, especially the one featuring Kim that has nothing to do with the main storyline are flat-out bad. That makes the season so far slightly worse than the first one. Bauer is more badass in this one, though.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Season 2 of 24 has the infamous: Kim and cougar; Kim and cougar trap; Kim and creepy Kevin Dillon who now play Drama in Entourage; Kim and creepy, psycho guy who hired her as babysitter... :hahaha:

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:39 pm
Veteran

Glad to see you're lovin' The Shield, Doc....by far the most underrated show on television.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:41 am
Profile WWW
laneyboy

Season 2 of 24 has the infamous: Kim and cougar; Kim and cougar trap; Kim and creepy Kevin Dillon who now play Drama in Entourage; Kim and creepy, psycho guy who hired her as babysitter... :hahaha:

That was Kevin Dillon! :ohmy:

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:03 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Glad to see you're lovin' The Shield, Doc....by far the most underrated show on television.

Definitely. One of my all-time favorites by now...even ahead of Lost which I love a lot.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:42 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Got to the 10th episode of The Shield Season 4. It's just excellent, certainly the best since the first season. Glenn Close is very impressive and Anthony Anderson as Antwon Mitchell is the series' best villain so far, even outshining Season 2's Armadillo. I think another thing that I like about this season is that it kinda puts most of the side characters (Danny, Julien etc.) more in the background and focuses on the Strike Team, getting straight to the point without many subplots. Chiklis is flawless. Very interested how this season will turn out. It still has a shot at beating the first.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:46 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, I finished the fourth season of The Shield and what can I say...it rocked! It was the second-best season so far, narowly edging out the second and just a bit behind the first. It were the flawless performances by Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson (!) as the series' best villain (beating Armadillo). Chiklis was as great as ever and I still just admire this show for being completely in the rgey area. There is barely any black/white here, any good or bad. Pretty much every single character on this show is bad and dirty in one way or another, yet you feel sympathy for most of them, even the biggest assholes (like Shane). Great screenwriting I read that Forest Whitaker stars in the fifth season and since I like him a lot this makes me look forward to it more than ever. However, I will abstain from watching the 5th season until my exams are over which'd be in mid-October. I've had my The Shield dose for now and it still remains the best show currently on TV from all those I am watching.

Up to the 18th episode with House. One of the scenes in the 18th episode (House dreaming about ordering Vogler's coffin) had me laughing so hard that my throat hurt. Otherwise, it remains decent but unremarkable as usual, completely carried by Laurie's fantastic performance.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

I just finished season 4 as well. It was great. I loved Glenn Close as the captain, especially in that last episode.

Now I'll have to wait for season 5 to come out on DVD before I see anymore of the show. Or if they show a marathon of season 5 before numero 6. :sad:

:glare:

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:06 pm
Squee

To be punny, The Shield is a criminally overlooked show at the Emmys. Of course, that's what the emmys are all about, overlooking good shows.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:08 pm
Extraordinary

Almost none of subplots in 24 worked very well over an entire season, part of reasons why Season 4 was the best (before Season 5 arrived).

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Sorry, didn't get a chance to update earlier due to lots of studying and all that jazz over the recent weeks.

In any case, I finished the second season of "24" and actually watched the entire third right after that. I have heard from many that the third season is the weakest of them all and I disagree. I fidn it to be almost on par with the first, really. The second is slightly worse than the two due to the Kim sublot. This is how I perceived the series so far:

The first season was the most balanced of the three. It had just the right amounts of suspense, twists and decent-great episodes. It also has the single best episode of the whole series (the finale). The second one had the best main story/conspiracy of the three. The main plot with Bauer is really my fave in the second of all three. However, the annoying and unnecessary Kim subplot lowers the overall quality. The third season has the best villain to date and it has the biggest number of single great episodes, though it is not as balanced as the first season. I loved how merciless and cruel the third season was. Barely a single character ended up not damaged in one way or another by the end of it. It is really good, the only letdown is that once Stephen Saudners is captured the interest in the final two episodes is just somewhat lowered.

In any case, I intend to start thew fourth season in a few weeks when the exams are over and Uni starts again.

Tonight, I'll be seeing that House episode - Three Stories...

Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:55 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Don't expect too much, it's the worst episode so far this season. Sela Ward was really bad, IMO. It was an important episode and they fucked it up.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Don't expect too much, it's the worst episode so far this season. Sela Ward was really bad, IMO. It was an important episode and they fucked it up.

Uhhh... It was the best episode of the series.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:14 pm
You must have big rats

I thought it was very good. Not the best of the season probably, but among the Top 3 or so.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Riggs27 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Uhhh... No it wasn't.

Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:21 am
Profile WWW
Squee

jujubee wrote:
Riggs27 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Uhhh... No it wasn't.

Sorry, she's right, and you're wrong.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

WRONG!

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next