Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 HEATH LEDGER JUST DIED 
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Post Re: HEATH LEDGER JUST DIED
What's great is there is a large motorcycle gang that follows those people around and protests them. They're pretty impressive and a hell of a lot nicer than the idiots from that "church".

Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

RIP Heath.

It's going to be strange to watch him in the new Batman movie.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I doubt they will be able to picket his funeral considering he will most likely be buried in australia.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:06 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Joe wrote:
That's truly disgusting and pathetic in ways one doesn't think possible :disgust: :disgust:

It's really sad, isn't it? I've read about several groups like this, taking religious intolerance to the extreme and basically shitting on the good memories or sacrifices of other truly decent people because it goes against what the group's religious creed. Never mind the fact that for most religions, the core fundamental is to love others unconditionally, treat others as you would like to be treated. The whole "he without sin cast the first stone" thing. :wacko:

The truly ironic thing is that Heath wasn't even gay. He portrayed a gay man. So they are accusing him of pretending to partake in a sin. I suppose anybody that has ever pretended to kill someone on screen should be "rightfully judged" as well for the perverse nature.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:06 am
Extraordinary

Ok, so I kinda finally came to my senses. I apologize to everyone as a group, and also specifically to O. I'll eventually apologize to Makeshift and Gullimont as well, though I'm too incensed at this very moment to do so. But, I'm genuinly sorry.

Edit: WTF am I talking about? I apologize to EVERYONE right now, you two too, Makeshift and Gullimont.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Box on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but getting all worked up over what people post on this site isn't worth the hassel. Especially over things like this.

Just my two cents.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:16 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

my guess he'll be buried in Australia. He was in Australia a lot over the past few months.

And those ignorant fucks don't have a presence in Australia anyway. I mean I'm sure there are extreme homophobes in Australia, but not to that scale fortunately.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:19 am
Forum General

I get what some posters said by pretending, if you really liked him, you should have heaped your praised him before he passed on and not as a last ditch effort before everyone forgets and moves on.
For some, maybe you did praise him but let's not exaggerate the greatness of someone just because they've passed. It's kind of insulting to heap praise on someone just because they're dead. It's fake.

Otherwise, rest in peace Heath Ledger.
Wish the best for his family and friends too.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

thompsoncory wrote:
I feel sick to my stomach...

That is DISGUSTING.

thats fucking disturbing in everyway possible, how can they protest a man's death

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 am
The French Dutch Boy

BK wrote:
I get what some posters said by pretending, if you really liked him, you should have heaped your praised him before he passed on and not as a last ditch effort before everyone forgets and moves on.
For some, maybe you did praise him but let's not exaggerate the greatness of someone just because they've passed. It's kind of insulting to heap praise on someone just because they're dead. It's fake.

Dude, it's not about "heaping praise" on him, at all. It's just about the genuine, even unexpected emotions we feel from his death. People are arguing that we have no right to feel this way, or by saying that we are "pretending", go so far as to imply that what we are feeling is not real and we're being silly and caught in the hysteria.

It's incredibly demeaning and assumptive. Notice that this thread is already extremely long - not every celebrity death causes such feelings. Like I said earlier, when old celebrities pass away, I pay my condolences but am largely unaffected on any personal level. In this case, with his age, his connection to my generation, and just what I feel about him as a person and an actor all around, have contributed to me reacting differently. I'm sad, and damnit, I'm allowed to feel that way.

This is the last time I ever start to open myself up even a little bit on KJ. I've learned to keep it off of here, for obvious reasons now.

Peace,
Mike

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:31 am
Forum General

I think one of the reasons his death is eliciting this response is, actually, his involvement with Brokeback.

For a lot of us, ever since Brokeback, he was kind of like that cool straight kid at school who didn't have a problem and hung out with the gay kids.

I think that has something to do with this hitting people on a gut level.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dkmuto wrote:
I think one of the reasons his death is eliciting this response is, actually, his involvement with Brokeback.

For a lot of us, ever since Brokeback, he was kind of like that cool straight kid at school who didn't have a problem and hung out with the gay kids.

By us, are you including yourself?

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

MikeQ. wrote:
BK wrote:

Dude, it's not about "heaping praise" on him, at all. It's just about the genuine, even unexpected emotions we feel from his death. People are arguing that we have no right to feel this way, or by saying that we are "pretending", go so far as to imply that what we are feeling is not real and we're being silly and caught in the hysteria.

It's incredibly demeaning and assumptive. Notice that this thread is already extremely long - not every celebrity death causes such feelings. Like I said earlier, when old celebrities pass away, I pay my condolences but am largely unaffected on any personal level. In this case, with his age, his connection to my generation, and just what I feel about him as a person and an actor all around, have contributed to me reacting differently. I'm sad, and damnit, I'm allowed to feel that way.

This is the last time I ever start to open myself up even a little bit on KJ. I've learned to keep it off of here, for obvious reasons now.

Peace,
Mike

I wouldn't if I were you. So it may start some "heated" discussion once in awhile, so what? It's better that you open yourself up on how you feel about something than to hold back what you want to say. Few seem to do this, but it's always great when they do, so you do it too. :D

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Want to hear something creepy and kind of weird, guys? This paparazzi photo of Ledger was posted on the Crazy Days and Nights Blog (http://crazydaysandnights.net) yesterday.

My first reaction to it was: "Man, he does not look good at all. He should get some help." Totally forgot about it the next day, until I hear the news from friends. Holy shit!

I also received several calls, IMs, and Facebook messages from friends today regarding Heath's untimely death. One friend of mine even watched The Brothers Grimm for the first time this past weekend. :noway:

Last edited by rolandka19 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:44 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Nevermind noW!

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Last edited by Corpse on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:49 am
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

I always thought his tiny role in Monster's Ball was his best.

It was really the moment when it was like, "wow, this dude can act, he's not just the Knight's Tale guy".

I liked Heath, it's not really personally affecting me but I understand that it is other people. From a selfish perspective it's as if we lost someone more like the future Johnny Depps or Sean Penns or Russell Crowes or Christian Bales.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:02 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I've seen...

10 Things I Hate About You
The Patriot
Four Feathers [but I actually don't remember it]
Brokeback Mountain
Casanova [a good chunk of it]
I'm Not There

I've liked him in all those films. I really want to rewatch Monster's Ball seeing as I never properly watched it and don't remember Heath in it at all even though I hear his role is minimal.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:18 am
invading your spaces

Yeah, Heath's role in Monster's Ball given today's news is... interesting.

Probably not something you should see right now if you are really sensitive.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

RIP Heath Ledger.

His role in Monster's Ball was definitely one of the things that come to mind with this sad news.

Also he was the same age (28) as Brandon Lee when Lee died.

Heath Ledger as Joker:

Brandon Lee as The Crow:

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dkmuto wrote:

I thought about that alot throughout the day since I was baffled by how hard it hit me. And although it probably plays an important role, I find it more complicated than that... at least within myself. It's not like I feel like we've lost an "ally" and I'm so bummed. It's more like we lost this great guy who didn't care about risks, chose art and displayed his talent against risks and after all the attention was still humble about it. It's more like his taking on the role in Brokeback told us alot about the kind of actor he was and could be and not just that he became this icon in gay culture.

I also really enjoyed him in I'm Not There recently and loved the movie itself. Plus, I just watched Casanova last week which was probably his most light hearted/fun type film. So coming from seeing him in that role then hearing about this probably made a difference. And also I think baba had the closest reaction to mine and he's not gay. So I think it definitely plays a factor but not that big.

Anyway, I'm pretty much over the initial shock. But I know what's to follow, as it does with a lot of deaths... you get to thinking about him once in a while and realize he's not alive anymore, he's not gonna be making movies anymore, he's missing out on his daughter's life. You get bummed, you think about life, you move on.

As to all that nonsense that was going on in this thread... what's the point. Whether it's pretend or exaggerated, everyone always has the same sort of reactions when they hear people die. It was just multiplied by a certain amount because it was truly unexpected and a complete shocker. The fact that it became such a big deal is why just about EVERYONE commented and I think some people maybe started misinterpreting quantity for quality of sorrow. Bottom line is something like this actually jolts some people and has stronger effects on certain people over others.

andaroo wrote:
Yeah, Heath's role in Monster's Ball given today's news is... interesting.

Probably not something you should see right now if you are really sensitive.

Nah. I'm not sensitive in that way. And knowing me, if it did affect me that deeply, I'd probably want to watch it more because of that. Maybe it's just me and I have issues. but, like, sometimes when I'm depressed I actually pop in something like The Hours because I want to feel it deeper.

Anyway, life's too short to dwell on things like this. We love, we mourn, we live. I know the story is not gonna go anywhere for at least another week but I can't afford to be disturbed by it as much as I was today.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:48 am
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I feel sick to my stomach...

That is DISGUSTING.

It really doesn't surprise me. The thought had crossed my mind that there would be people out there who would feel he was being punished for his role in that film. What a bunch of sick, disrespectful morons. :disgust:

I think it's bull saying that people are so sad because he's in The Dark Knight. I thought Batman Begins was stupid and if it weren't for the great cast I wouldn't have cared about The Dark Knight. I planned on seeing it in theaters for Heath and Maggie Gyllenhaal, but there was still a chance I wouldn't have until DVD. Now I'll make sure I see it in theaters. Though I personally hate that his last role is going to be in this film as this character. He looks disgusting in it and I'd rather he being playing a role where he was recognizable. And my feelings about his death aren't due to some mass hysteria. I'll come out and say that I wouldn't give a crap if several different celebs died, like Britney Spears, for example. Brad Renfro's death didn't even touch me. It was kind of surprising, but that's it. I wasn't a big fan and he wasn't some great talent. But after Brokeback Mountain I loved, loved, loved Heath. His performance was so phenomenal and I was blown away. He became one to watch and I was looking forward to many more movies with him, hoping that someday he'd get an Oscar after being robbed of one for Brokeback. His character and his performance are favorites of mine. If he wasn't in The Dark Knight it would hit me just as hard. My grief has nothing to do with that movie. The only difference it makes is that I'll go see it now and support his final movie, even if it's not really my kind of flick.

Before even coming online and sharing my grief with others I was devastated. When I came home and my dad told me I couldn't believe it. I was in denial that it could even be true. It felt like a bad dream. But it is true, and I've never been as upset over a celebrity death. This one couldn't have been more unexpected.

I think Dkmuto is right. For me at least, it is his involvment in Brokeback Mountain that is why this death has affected me as much. Had he not been in that movie and I hadn't seen how talented he really is, then I wouldn't have been as big of a fan or this upset. Before Brokeback Mountain I didn't think he was all that special.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:45 am
Cream of the Crop

No offense, but I think it's kind of snobbish of you to say that he's NOT showing off his talent in The Dark Knight. Never mind the make up, the PERSONALITY is incredible. The way he talks, walks, and acts is simply perfect. Even if you don't like Batman or the Joker, you have to at least recognize that his talent is on full display with the Joker role. He completely disappeared into it, which is not easily said about plenty of other high profile actors out there. The "it's not my type of film" excuse is a shitty one for dismissing someone's acting. If that was the case, I would dismiss every other role by Ledger because none of his previous roles were "my kind of film." But I've watched his movies and I appreciate his acting ability. I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't let your pre-determined dislike of Batman movies cloud your judgment of his performance. While you may not like it, the rest of society will remember him both in Brokeback AND The Dark Knight. TDK will be an iconic role for him and was going to be one regardless of the unfortunate circumstances.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:|

:(

What's happening to these young actors?

RIP Heath.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

redfirebird2008 wrote:
No offense, but I think it's kind of snobbish of you to say that he's NOT showing off his talent in The Dark Knight. Never mind the make up, the PERSONALITY is incredible. The way he talks, walks, and acts is simply perfect. Even if you don't like Batman or the Joker, you have to at least recognize that his talent is on full display with the Joker role. He completely disappeared into it, which is not easily said about plenty of other high profile actors out there. The "it's not my type of film" excuse is a shitty one for dismissing someone's acting. If that was the case, I would dismiss every other role by Ledger because none of his previous roles were "my kind of film." But I've watched his movies and I appreciate his acting ability. I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't let your pre-determined dislike of Batman movies cloud your judgment of his performance. While you may not like it, the rest of society will remember him both in Brokeback AND The Dark Knight. TDK will be an iconic role for him and was going to be one regardless of the unfortunate circumstances.

You are projecting YOUR opinion, and you haven't even seen the fucking movie, so how about if you quit telling everybody else how brilliant his Joker is and how everybody will put him up on a pedastal. Number one, he doesn't even look like the Joker. Number two, Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger aint. There's a reason that Jack is Jack.

I got the feeling from your last post that you were nothing but an idiot, and this post just confirmed that notion.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Magnus wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Warner Bros has a really delicate tightrope act to balance.

We don't even know how The Joker is resolved in the film, if he's even resolved. Any ADR work that needs to happen. How do you market his role, do you even market it? What does it mean for the 3rd film...

This is bigger than Richard Harris and Harry Potter. Or Oliver Reed and Gladiator, or even Brandon Lee and The Crow.

I know this sounds trivial but its a business but more importantly, well to me anyway, its his legacy and probably his final role (assuming the Gilliam role is too incomplete).

I think you still market him, espically if the studio/filmmakers are confident that he is that amazing. Nothing can bring him back now. But his performance in TDK could potentially change his legacy forever. And if the filmmakers/studio are confident that his performance can be that legendary, then market the hell out of it. They shouldn't have to hide his talent. If anything, they need to show everyone just how much talent was lost.

Yeah, but what if his performance really isn't as legendary as WB makes it out to be?? Do you still give the guy a fair critique of his role or simply a free pass cause of his death?? Will Nolan insert in the credits "In Memory of Heath Ledger" or not change a thing?? Also, FOX(Which is almost as bad as TMZ) is reporting that a source close to Ledger says he was taking alot of sleeping pills cause he was so engrossed in the role of the JOKER that he practically lived it 24/7 and it helped him sleep an hour a day.. Was their alot of pressure from the Batfans and pressure in general for him to outdo the role that Jack Nicholson flawlessly did or what?? I mean, leave it to fanaticism in this day and age for stuff like this...

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next