Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Cancellation/race/trans/etc. thread 
Top Poster

Post Re: Cancellation/race/trans/etc. thread
Tucker Carlson

Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

RIP Fox News

It would be such chaos if Tucker ran, but I think he hates DC establishment too much to work with them for four years.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:40 pm
Hold the door!

Don Lemon while we’re at it

Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 pm

For the best a proven in a court of law and facts liar has been taken off the air

Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

While it looks like Fox made a mistake buying into some of the Dominion theories in the few months after the election, I find CNN doubling/tripling/octupling down on Russiagate conspiracy theory for like 3 years to be more damning. Nevertheless both are reminders to be skeptical of the media when people's emotions are running high and looking for anything that confirms their biases.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:22 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Tucker getting fired is equally surprising and not.

He's a key figure in costing the network $787.5 million, which is probably only the beginning. There's a bigger lawsuit ongoing now ($2.7 billion) that, presumably, will cost Fox far more since it's more or less the over the same issue with the same (potentially more) evidence. If you're Smartmatic, you see Fox folding and willing to pay that money to Dominion versus taking the oath in a trial. You're going to pursue even more now, or even take it to trial. (I'd bet on a larger settlement though.)

As an employee, Tucker helped in costing his employer loads of money. For this reason, it's not surprising he was fired. (Although Fox is the main issue since they allowed their anchors to run these stories.)

On the other hand, it is because he's their biggest star. This will hit their ratings, and I doubt they'll find a replacement that draws quite as much. Now, I don't think Tucker is irreplaceable. Hiring another likeminded individual, just on a much shorter leash this time, will slowly draw people back, just not as high. Where are these "Done With Fox" people going to go? Newsmax? I think this is more of a short-term loss for Fox than a long-term one.

We also may not have got all the details on the Dominion settlement. Tucker getting the axe, as Fox's biggest draw, could have been part of too.

And Don Lemon getting fired isn't too surprising. It might be more surprising CNN didn't fire him earlier.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I’m not over 50 so I’m not the target demo for Fox but I’m certainly less interested in it now.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:25 pm

You seriously watched Tucker Carlson?

Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:56 pm
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
You seriously watched Tucker Carlson?

No, but I did see clips of him on other shows and he was certainly more interesting than any other Fox News people that get featured

Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

I never watched the full show but every few weeks I saw someone sharing a clip that hit for me. Definitely >>>> Hannity.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 pm

I try to watch as much diversity of opinion as possible. So I have seen plenty of Tucker. He is very conspiratorial based, like something you’d expect to see covering Bigfoot as if he were front lining the National Enquirer magazine you glance at when waiting in line at the local super market, but with a “gotcha” personality type reminiscent of his CNN days

Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:42 pm
The Kramer

Another eight people in Texas got cancelled for going to the mall today.

Sun May 07, 2023 1:24 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Apparently the videos and photos of the slain adults and children are gruesome. People missing faces, a child's brains on the pavement, etc.

I'm not looking them up and am grateful users on Twitter aren't retweeting them. I don't need to be reminded of how awful this has been for far too long.

However, I think it's time for the media to begin showing such images and videos (with permission from the families) on TV for everyone to see. They've shown some pretty graphic images and videos from wars or attacks overseas over the years, so let the American people see what's happening here too. When someone turns on their TV to the news in the evening, let them see a 5-year-old's head blown off on a shopping mall sidewalk. Let them ask themselves if it's worth the price of allowing anyone to own and purchase assault rifles.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 07, 2023 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

They can start by actually saying who the shooter is (seems like something that doesn't fit the narrative like a hispanic gang member)

Sun May 07, 2023 1:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Does it matter though? Maybe if mass shootings happened a couple times a decade or something, it might help in determining what made these shooters do it. Maybe they have things in common where it could be easier to target the issues that lead them to do it.

But when it's happening weekly and includes all kinds of different people and backgrounds across the country, I don't think it matters. The person's identity becomes rather moot.

The GOP has been on the "we have a mental health problem" the last year or so, and sure, I wouldn't argue that. (Funnily, they've done nothing to address this either, even cutting mental health costs and are generally against providing health care in general). But the Left's counterargument that the U.S. isn't alone in having mental health problems is also true.

So, what's the difference? Yes, the U.S. has an absurd about of guns, and you're being blind if you don't think that's a contributing factor in children being murdered. But is it anything else? Is it the more selfish culture? Is it the media/social media that's creating a tribal population where you're always right and everyone else is always wrong? Is it the high poverty rate (despite its vast wealth) vs most of the developed world leading people (children) down a troubling path?

And while mass shootings have been a problem for decades now, why have they gotten so much worse in the past 5-10 years?

Mon May 08, 2023 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's relevant to the gun debate because gun laws aren't going to prevent gang or cartel members from having them, in Mexico the ultra strict gun laws just make it so they're the only people who have them.

It's worth looking into their motive and certainly any time it's a story that fits the media's goal to divide people racially such a white person shooting minorities or a right winger, their focus will be on that, but if it's someone like Audrey Hale or a minority the story will be blaming it on the guns. Currently they're doing one of the funniest things they do which is to call a minority a white supremacist.

Mon May 08, 2023 1:49 pm

Shack, wasn’t the gunman a far right nazi guy? I mean, what is your answer to the jarring upswing in Nazism on the internet? This isn’t a rhetorical question as I think you are right, simply enacting gun laws won’t solve all the gun violence, but what do we do about this movement that seems to pray on young men who are driven to fight what they think is the left’s attempts to bring the downfall of western civilization?

Mon May 08, 2023 9:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think they're basing that off on how interacted with some neo-nazi type guys on social media and has a patch that might stand for "Right Wing Death Squad". Not sure why these would be more meaningful than having gang tattoos. Some people appear to sharing pictures that look fake of nazi tattoos (unclear if it's him with no head in the picture).

The idea that a hispanic guy who killed a bunch of white people was motivated by white supremacy is obviously pretty ridiculous. He might have been a right wing guy but it's unclear if it was related to the shooting. The bad faith media just has to make everything about race and political views.

Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 pm
The Kramer

Is it so crazy to think that light-skinned nazi latinos would think themselves better than darker skinned not-nazi latinos?

Mon May 08, 2023 11:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

I know exactly who the little fascist club is on right wing social media and imo they're motivated by masculinity more than race. Their leader is a guy named Bronze Age Pervert who wrote a manifesto a few years ago with a bunch of wannabe Nietzeche nonsense comparing men to animal kingdom. The trans debate is more relevant to them than BLM, because it fits in with their views that animal male essence is being cucked while they advocate a return to chiseled chads and traditional female roles. Someone like this shooter being motivated by this would make sense, but the insistence to keep compared people to Hitler style nazi-ism and to keep trying to make everything about race distracts from discussions about this.

Mon May 08, 2023 11:17 pm
The Kramer

Racism, sexism, transphobia, religious persecution - who cares? Its all the same thing. The Nazis killed millions of white people too. It was more about making the world racially/ethnically/culturally "pure" in their eyes and thats all I see from these assholes and much like nazis they seem to think killing people is an acceptable means to an end. That's why I posted it in this thread.

Today we've got another incident. It's not the same thing, and was thankfully non-fatal, but it just goes to show how the extemism on one side of the politicsl spectrum is much more harmful than the other side. Some young girl was playing hide n seek and just happened to run by the wrong guy's yard. He sees her shadow and starts blasting, hitting her in the head. Again, thankfully, it wasn't a fatal shot, but I'd bet any amount of money that this guy thinks cancel culture is the biggest problem in America.

Tue May 09, 2023 3:09 am

Shack wrote:
I know exactly who the little fascist club is on right wing social media and imo they're motivated by masculinity more than race. Their leader is a guy named Bronze Age Pervert who wrote a manifesto a few years ago with a bunch of wannabe Nietzeche nonsense comparing men to animal kingdom. The trans debate is more relevant to them than BLM, because it fits in with their views that animal male essence is being cucked while they advocate a return to chiseled chads and traditional female roles. Someone like this shooter being motivated by this would make sense, but the insistence to keep compared people to Hitler style nazi-ism and to keep trying to make everything about race distracts from discussions about this.

Okay, but you understand the problem then as well. How do you address this?

Tue May 09, 2023 7:57 am
Sbil

Corpse wrote:
Apparently the videos and photos of the slain adults and children are gruesome. People missing faces, a child's brains on the pavement, etc.

I'm not looking them up and am grateful users on Twitter aren't retweeting them. I don't need to be reminded of how awful this has been for far too long.

However, I think it's time for the media to begin showing such images and videos (with permission from the families) on TV for everyone to see. They've shown some pretty graphic images and videos from wars or attacks overseas over the years, so let the American people see what's happening here too. When someone turns on their TV to the news in the evening, let them see a 5-year-old's head blown off on a shopping mall sidewalk. Let them ask themselves if it's worth the price of allowing anyone to own and purchase assault rifles.

I don't want to see those photos/videos any more than anyone else but I totally agree with you. I am horrified every single time a massacre happens and our legislators do absolutely NOTHING about it. Nothing.

And I don't think anything is going to change until more of the American public starts seeing the horrific, graphic firsthand evidence of what is happening.

Tue May 09, 2023 9:42 am
Sbil

Shack wrote:

The idea that a hispanic guy who killed a bunch of white people was motivated by white supremacy is obviously pretty ridiculous.

It's worth noting that, among the 8 victims, 3 were members of a Korean American family (parents and son, their other son survived but is seriously injured), 2 were elementary school age Hispanic sisters, 1 was a Hispanic man, 1 was an Indian American woman. I believe only 1 victim was white.

So I don't know what his true motive was but you're also not arguing in good faith.

Tue May 09, 2023 9:48 am
now we know

Corpse wrote:
However, I think it's time for the media to begin showing such images and videos (with permission from the families) on TV for everyone to see.

Doesn't that just lower people's threshold for deeming it unacceptable though? If I'm seeing pictures and videos on the daily of people's guts out and brains strewn across the sidewalk I'm going to be pretty desensitized to it all. It then removes another barrier for the people that are close to doing something serious.

A cart blanche approach to gruesome imagery is a pretty risky move just to hopefully force the hand of pro-gun people to see the side effects of their staunch beliefs, wouldn't you say? Especially considering you just know these people won't back down, they'll just find new ways to condemn the violence but still support gun ownership.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next