Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
 2024 election - Second Republican debate 

Is Biden vs Trump 2 really going to happen?
Yes, it is inevitable 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
No - A rematch just doesn’t feel right! Something has to give 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

2024 election - Second Republican debate 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: 2024 election - Second Republican debate
Shack wrote:
Vivek was on one in 4th debate

I haven't watched any of the debates but from clips he seems very looney to put it nicely. Iowa should be a tough state for him too, I think, so hopefully a distant fourth/fifth place result there pushes him out. Christie will likely drop soon after Iowa and endorse Haley. Vivek won't though, and likely just support Trump. Only chance I see of Trump facing a challenge is if DeSantis would surprisingly drop out early after some poor showings and also endorse Haley, but seems a reach and he'd go back to supporting his orange buddy.

And if DeSantis and Haley are serious about wanting to be President, they're running out of time to take it to Trump. These little shade-like comments once in a while on the campaign trail or on the news isn't going to cut it. And largely ignoring his existence in the debates shows they have little confidence in taking him on, and thus not too serious about being President.

It's obvious that a vast majority of non-Trumpers in the GOP will support him once he's the nominee, the hardest among them probably taking the "Well, let's give him a second chance" nonsense approach. This includes DeSantis and Haley.

Trump picking DeSantis as VP feels unlikely. But DeSantis kinda needs it because his political career is in danger of being over after his term as Governor is up. It's why he's backed off and is just there to come in second by going after Haley. And Haley is possible as VP, and is probably the best choice, and I can see it happening given she has a long history of criticizing Trump only to praise him the next week.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Apparently there’s an archaic rule about a state not counting if both pres and vp are from there which Bush and Cheney got around in 2000 by making Cheney fake move, but in this era in a post losing to Trump the world is ending meltdown environment the Democrats would probably be looking for any legal way to disqualify him, so not sure I’d test it.

Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:02 pm

With Trump declaring he wants to increase the power of the president, is the GOP the party of state’s rights or just a line of people who want to suck Trump’s cock?

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:02 am

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I think its secretly just a performance for Trump himself so that he will make one of them his Veep. Except we all the know the veep is going to DTJR, so these debates might be the most pointless thing in election season history.

Honestly, he probably will do that. I mean he now wants to move his trials to 2029. Anyone not under his spell can see what he is doing.

Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:04 am
Devil's Advocate

Trump wrote:
So many people are asking what I thought of history’s lowest rated “presidential” debate, & how would I rate the players. It’s so easy to be a critic, but who on this subject would be better than me. To begin with, I thought Ron DeSanctimonious was terrible, with his bobble head facial movements & his walking on eggs, but that Sloppy Chris Christie was worse. He’s not fit, mentally or physically, to be President plus, he suffers from TDS, or Trump Derangement Syndrome, at levels not seen before. In other words, he is a “sick puppy.” On top of it all, his poll numbers are just 1%, in a class with “Aida” Hutchinson. He’s dead, but so is Ron, whose weird bobbing head and fresh mouth, make his high heels look good - He’s walking on eggs! Birdbrain looked different & lost, but I give her second place. Vivek WINS because he thinks l’m great. The biggest loser was Megyn Kelly, what the hell happened to her? She has lost whatever she once had, which wasn’t very much. Some things never change!

:lol:

Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:57 am
Superfreak

Megan Kelly was fantastic, actually. Trump no doubt had that statement written well before the debate took place. :funny:

Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:51 am
Superfreak

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
With Trump declaring he wants to increase the power of the president, is the GOP the party of state’s rights or just a line of people who want to suck Trump’s cock?

Basically, yeah, they want his load. There is no way a rational or sane person could watch a Nikki Haley or even DeSantis interview, and then follow up with a modern Trump interview, and think Trump is a better fit. Haley and DeSantis are digging their own graves by not going after Trump harder. DeSantis especially just looks so, so weak not going after him harder, it is what the base wants.

Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:53 am
Devil's Advocate

Colorado bans Trump, but have to think Supreme Court overturns it.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:44 pm
Superfreak

Why would SC overturn an individual state ruling which is, frankly, clearly in line with the law as written?

Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

Because verbally calling the election rigged isn’t the same thing engaging in “insurrection” and unlike Democrat judges who’s decisions going forward seem like they will all be based on whether they think the end result of it will be a net positive or negative for people making them essentially like a congressperson except appointed, with lifetime terms and with way more voting power, the Republican judges appear to approach their job as a straight forward one of interpreting what the words mean. Which is why the Roe decision makes sense because there is nothing about abortion in the US constitution and pro choicers using the the right to privacy part as justification isn’t any more convincing than pro lifers saying the murder parts means you can’t kill fetuses.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:37 pm

I think he needs to be ruled in a court of law of engaging in an insurrection before this ruling can take effect.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:27 pm
The Kramer

Was Nikki Haley refusing to acknowledge slavery as a cause of the civil war a major blunder? Or was it a positive, considering the type of people she is trying to win over?

Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

How about the establishment Republicans find a candidate in 2028 that's not someone who panders to civil war denying southerners, is pro censorship and has a Bush/Cheney war boner

Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:30 pm

I still much prefer her and her adherence to democratic standards than a populist clown

Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:52 pm
The Kramer

Haley seems to be making a blunder every day now, but once again, maybe the things we normies think are blunders are appealing to MAGA nation.

Meanwhile, Trump on the Iowa shootings: its horrible but we have to get over it.

I have a feeling Get Over It is gonna be said alot during his second presidency.

Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:42 am
Devil's Advocate

Trump, DeSantis and Vivek supporters are all in agreement that Haley sucks. So the scenario where it comes down to Trump and Haley like everyone dropping out and supporting Biden against Bernie in 2020, works out perfectly for Trump cause instead of everyone getting behind the anti-Trump candidate, they'd get behind the anti-Haley candidate.

Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:11 pm

I think traditional Republicans would rather vote for Haley. It is the newbie GOP supporters that don’t like her that probably would have voted Democrat in the 2000s and 90s

Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:56 pm
The Kramer

Trump crushes Iowa with 51% of the vote to no surprise. DeSantis beating Haley is a huge blow to her campaign.

Remember when Trump lost the Iowa caucus to Ted Cruz in 2016? Also remember when people were trying to convince us he wouldn't just steamroll his way through the primaries as if Pubs even had the ability to vote for anyone else? Lol.

Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:25 am
Devil's Advocate

Vivek drops out. Successful VP audition.

Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:07 am

Interesting data from the exit polls shows that half of Haley’s supporters would vote Biden over Trump if that ended up being the match up. Makes sense as Haley supporters are much more level headed than the growing insanity growing within the GOP over the past decade. Trump is such an obviously bad choice

Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:53 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Biden v Trump again just further pushes people to the extremes. Not saying Biden is an extreme candidate by any means, but he's been painted successfully as such and having Trump as his opponent will do it.

It'll come down to turnout again. I mean, it usually does, but it's even more important when there are very few undecided voters. Neither Biden or Trump is really going to be able to convince voters from the other side over to them, so lighting a fire under their voters asses to drive turnout is key. Trump is able to do this effectively, whereas enthusiasm is generally low in rallying behind Biden. However... Trump is such a polarizing figure, those unenthused by Biden and don't want a return of Trump will come out to vote for Biden as a means of preventing that.

At least, that's more or less what happened in 2020. 2024 feels like it'll be that same idea on steroids. I don't think overall turnout will be as high though. There will be those in the middle just sick of this shit who stay home. The extremes sides will just grow and be more annoying at best, dangerous at worst. (Note that what is considered "high" in the US is still pretty crappy turnout overall.)

Neither DeSantis or Haley are going to stop this either. DeSantis may have placed 2nd in Iowa, but it was close and certainly not the numbers he wanted considering how much money and time he spent in Iowa. If he can't even get half of Trump's votes in a state he was fully committed on, he's not going to do it anywhere else really.

Haley has maybe a very slim shot left if she upsets Trump in New Hampshire and goes onto winning in South Carolina as well. (Needs both, not either/or). Both are big asks, even if polling has her competitive in NH, but she at least has more of an opportunity than DeSantis does. If she can manage to win both NH and SC, then perhaps she'll make enough gains among independents and moderates (and get the No Labels members endorsing her and not aiming to run third party) to run competitively on Super Tuesday.

Whatever happens, I hope come 2028 things begin to cool down and get back to boring politics again.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:20 pm
Profile WWW

Biden is boring politics though. He is painted as extreme because the GOP’s method of campaigning is on pushing grievance politics. We’re in such a hellscape in terms of political discourse in this country that milk toast Biden who actual has a lot more in common with conservatives that is given credit is somehow extreme.

Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Biden is boring politics, but the right doesn't think so and the current political climate is pulling everyone into the more extreme. If a moderate D or R takes a view that doesn't align with the more far right/left views of the party, their party labels them an extremist for the opposite party. Anyone who is less likely to take sides end up being called a RINO or DINO.

Everyone wants to make every person and issue a right or wrong, black or white thing. And if you even make the slightest attempt to find a middle ground or compromise, you're seen as the devil working for the "other side." We see this most prominently in the US House right now. It's no surprise a record number of members (mostly in the GOP) are retiring this year.

And not taking a side, or not leaning far enough to either the right or left, sets you up to be targeted. Whether it's to smear your name or to even primary you, trying to stay somewhere in the middle right now is proving very hard to do for your political future.

That's what I mean by 2028 hopefully being the end of this and we can go back to where having a different view on an issue or just not an extreme one doesn't draw so much hostility. Boring politics. Because post Trump and Biden (at no/little fault of his own), I think it'll be a good opportunity for a reset of sorts. It's not clear where either party goes in 2028 or beyond right now, so hopefully some form of sanity comes back to government.

Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I don't think politics will seem normal until the unwokening happens

Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:49 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

"Unwokeness" won't go away until people stop labeling everything they disagree with "woke." There are certain topics that are fair to discuss, sure, but it's moved beyond those to include anything.

Rumors are that DeSantis is expected to drop out either today or tomorrow, ahead of the New Hampshire primary, to avoid an abysmal performance (polls have him in the single-digits) and to endorse Trump ahead of it. Dunno if he's going for the VP position, but he'll want to be kissing Trump's ass for a cabinet position at the very least because his political future after his term as Governor is up in Florida looks dim without it.

His campaign has got to be one of the worst in recent history. Promising name coming out of 2022, large war chest and good polling in early 2023, and then just an utter collapse that began the same day he announced his candidacy on Twitter.

Glad he's (presumably) out of the race though.

Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next