Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
Counting in NJ is taking FOREVER.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Murphy should win fairly comfortably with around 52/53%, I'd think. Most of the red counties are ~90/95%+ reported, while the blue strongholds are around ~70/80% reported. So, presumably, Murphy will go up a couple percentage points.

But still a bit closer than expected. That said, it's still a good win for him since this will be the first time in 40 years that a Democrat Gov. in NJ has won reelection. So the state isn't as "safe" for Dems locally/statewide as Presidential elections suggest. Some reliably blue/red states in Presidential elections are often contested or even behave oppositely when it comes to local/state election results.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Some exit poll stats

18-29: McAuliffe 53-46 (Biden-Trump: 62-33)
30-44 Youngkin 51-49 (Biden-Trump: 59-39)
45-64 Youngkin 51-49 (Biden-Trump: 52-47)
65+ Youngkin 54-46 (Trump-Biden: 54-45)

White: Youngkin 61-38 (Trump-Biden: 53-45)
Black: McAuliffe 87-13 (Biden-Trump: 89-10)
Hispanic: McAuliffe 68-31 (Biden-Trump: 61-36)
Asian: McAuliffe 66-34 (Biden-Trump: 60-38)

College grads: McAuliffe 58-41 (Biden-Trump: 57-40)
Non college grads: Youngkin 60-40 (Biden-Trump: 53-46)

Youngkin did well with young people for a Republican and dominated with whites and less educated while Democrats minority performance is pretty good considering the thought in other places like Texas and Florida that hispanics are turning right

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:12 pm

This to me is a big sign to the GOP that Trump is not the key to winning, just to rallying the rural support

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:55 pm
Superfreak

GOP voters want Mitt Romney but with more backbone. That's really it. 2024 is an awfully long way away. Bill Clinton was in terrible shape in 93/94 before winning in an epic landslide in 1996.

Biden needs:
-final death of Covid
-Infrastructure and BBB bills passed
-$50k cancelation of student loans

and his popularity will explode. People like him and want him to succeed, but there needs to be action.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:49 pm

The key right now is the suburban vote which has shown a willingness to swing red and blue. This voting block seems to care most about crime, economic stability, education, a level-headed government, and the pandemic. They don’t care as much about immigration, social reform, libertarianism, guns, and other topics that the urban and rural blocks typically focus on.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:54 am
Sbil

I'm sure I've said this elsewhere but Terry McAuliffe ran a lazy and haphazard campaign too. His messaging was a lot of "Trump bad!" which, in theory, would work because Trump is widely reviled in Virginia.

However...Youngkin distanced himself from Trump and focused on education so that messaging didn't connect. It's baffling to me that McAuliffe, who was already a governor of this state and was by and large a successful one who didn't really piss that many people off, just seemed to leave education alone and let Youngkin run away with the messaging on it.

I'm just mad I have to hear about critical race theory for who knows how long. Can anyone actually explain what critical race theory even is? No one knows what it is! Including myself. Yet it's becoming this boogeyman to fear for Republicans.

I would love it if Youngkin actually governed this state as the sort of moderate he presented himself as in his campaign. Believe it or not to some of you, but I always considered myself a moderate Democrat and don't necessarily disagree with some moderate Republican fiscal issues (though, as someone who is expressly pro-choice and supportive of LGBTQ+ rights, I cannot get on board with their social policies).

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 pm
Hold the door!

Critical race theory has 2 definitions. The legal definition which is studied in law school which examines how race affects law. This is generally the definition democrats will cite.

The definition Republicans will cite is things like the 1619 project which teach that America was founded with the main intention of protecting slavery, all institutions in America were expressly created to disadvantage black americans, and the only way to end racism in America is with "anti-racism". Ibram X Kendi is the most prominent spouter of this.

I can't speak to whether this is actually taught in k-12 schools. as I do not look at curriculum at the thousands of schools across the US.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

An example of critical race theory https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-abo ... /whiteness

I don't have sympathy for the "Robin DiAngelo and Ibram Kendi aren't REAL critical race theory, only the original ones from the mid 1900s are" arguments from the left, anything that's talking about the US as a white supremacist country and internalized racism or whatever is clearly CRT adjace at worst.

I view CRT as basically race Marxism. When Marx wrote it in the 1800s he lived in a country with 99% the same race but class was everything, whereas in modern day US class doesn't have as big a hook but race does. Therefore in American version instead of bourgeoise it's white people and instead of proletariat it's black people/minorities. Otherwise it's a similar oppressed vs oppressor playbook that has proven to be extremely effective in the past.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

So, inflation... Congress absolutely needs to increase the federal minimum wage this session. This has taken an absurd amount of time to address. Unfortunately, if it does happen, it will only be raised to more or less to get back to the already too low levels before this year, but it's causing significant problems for people right now where even getting back to the status quo is needed.

I am barely getting applications (1-2 a week when I used to get 5-6 or so), and have only successfully hired three people since August because the wage/salary is too low. (Five, technically, but two quit after a few weeks.) All but one store is understaffed from people quitting (can't always blame them). Ohio is $8.80/hour (rising to $9.30 next year), West Virginia is at $8.75/hour, and Pennsylvania (where we're struggling most) is still at the ridiculous federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. I am generally allowed to do $9.50-$10 for OH, $9.15-9.25 for WV, and $8.50-9 for PA (which I had to fight a bit for from $8/8.25) for clerks based on the store location. This is for hourly workers. Salary positions (managers) is more determinant on experience and store location, but generally works out to between $13-15 an hour.

Prices for pretty much everything are well beyond where working 35-40 hours a week on $8-10 an hour can manage anything but the cost of the essentials (housing, utilities, food, transportation), and even then, some cuts/sacrifices need to be made. I'd gladly offer to hire people in at $10 (which I have been for OH for awhile) or $11/12 an hour, but until the minimum wage goes up to those levels, it's not permitted.

When I go to the grocery store now, once every 2 weeks, we used to pay between $100-125 on groceries every two weeks or ~$200-250 a month. Buying the same or similar items in the same quantities has reached $150-200 every two weeks or ~$300-350 a month. We've made adjustments and gotten to the low range of that. Water prices are going up (26% in my area), natural gas is suppose to soar soon (just in time for winter, yay).

We're comfortable and can manage fine, but someone working for $8-10 an hour are already struggling pretty badly now, and it's only looking to get worse in the coming months. More people are going to be quitting lower-wage jobs, and businesses are going to suffer, making it more difficult for everyone.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Vote on the Infrastructure Bill is happening. Going to be close, but I presume Pelosi knows she has the necessary Republican votes to offset the sure No votes from the Democrats. 5 Dems have voted No so far, while 7 Reps have voted Yes.

EDIT: 228-206. 19 total crossover votes: 13 Republicans (Y), 6 Democrats (N).

GOP YES votes: Katko, Bacon, Van Drew, Young, Upton, Kinzinger, Gonzalez, Fitzpatrick, Reed, Gabarino, Malliotakis, McKinley, and Smith of New Jersey,
Dem NO votes: AOC, Omar, Bush, Bowman, Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib

Should have happened by now, but at least this part is over with. Now to see what happens with the BBB bill.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Corpse wrote:
Vote on the Infrastructure Bill is happening. Going to be close, but I presume Pelosi knows she has the necessary Republican votes to offset the sure No votes from the Democrats. 5 Dems have voted No so far, while 7 Reps have voted Yes.

EDIT: 228-206. 19 total crossover votes: 13 Republicans (Y), 6 Democrats (N).

GOP YES votes: Katko, Bacon, Van Drew, Young, Upton, Kinzinger, Gonzalez, Fitzpatrick, Reed, Gabarino, Malliotakis, McKinley, and Smith of New Jersey,
Dem NO votes: AOC, Omar, Bush, Bowman, Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib

Should have happened by now, but at least this part is over with. Now to see what happens with the BBB bill.

:funny:

What are these people thinking? Assuming it was mostly symbolic but they're all on record as having voted against the infrastructure bill.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:49 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

To their constituents, it's probably a safe vote. And if the BBB plan is gutted to irrelevancy by the Senate, it'll be a "we told you so" moment for them to use and explain why they voted no here since both bills were intended to be voted on together for that reason.

Besides... 200 Republicans just voted against the infrastructure bill. It passed with 69 votes on the Senate, a very bipartisan vote for modern day politics. 94% of House Reps voting against it looks pretty bad. (Expected...but bad.)

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:40 am
Profile WWW

This is a modern day political miracle that something like this has finally passed after what, 50 years?

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:38 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's great, but also underwhelming. We waited so long like you said, that $1.2 trillion (even assuming the bulk actually goes towards real infrastructure repairs/improvements) is less than half/barely half of what's been calculated to just "fix" infrastructure over 10 years. (And honestly, with extreme weather becoming more common, that figure is likely to grow substantially higher as a result very soon.)

Don't get me wrong. Glad it passed. Very long overdue. It'll help. But it's sort of a down payment bill of the total amount. A similarly sized plan, or larger, will need to be implemented relatively soon.

It's baffling, really, that the government doesn't just spend something like a couple hundred billion or so every ~10 years to keep up with it so it doesn't become such a costly investment all at once. That said, we're really a country that behaves reactively to nearly every problem, so not too surprising.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Take this is an example to mitigate the constant flooding in New York or other coastal areas/areas in floodplains. This massive tunnel system "only" cost Japan/Tokyo a little over $2 billion (USD). There are probably other examples from elsewhere in the world, though not as advanced, but I'm most familiar with Japan.

Why can't the U.S. build something similar at ~$2 billion each in New York, New Orleans (a literal bowl of a city), or any other low-lying coastal areas or cities prone to flooding? They're flooding constantly, costing WAY more in damage than these fixes would cost, and it's only going to become more frequent and worse. Japan/Tokyo have saved huge sums in flood damages (90%) due to this system.

Nearly every major hurricane is costing the U.S. up to $40-60 billion, or more, now (Harvey in 2017 cost $90 billion. Remember Houston?). Not all of that is from flooding, but most of it is. It's pretty late to invest in mitigating these damages now as they're getting worse faster (Tokyo's flood system began in 1993 and took 13 years to complete), but isn't spending a couple or a few billion per heavily impacted city/area now more cost efficient if it reduces the damages even if just by half?

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

What. In. The. Fuck.

Thankfully, Twitter has said it violates their terms (he's killing AOC), but better, they're looking to suspend him.

But beyond that, he's using the original music... Japanese companies are very strict with their copyrights, so he'll have to deal with that once it reaches them

But beyond THAT... I'm assuming this dude hasn't even watched or read Attack on Titan, at least past a certain area, because this DEFINITELY isn't the message he thinks it is. Not even a little. Quite the opposite.

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:24 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Shouldn't AOC file a lawsuit ? He's clearly threatening her.

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:39 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

She should. And the GOP should reprimand him, but they won't.

The US Congress, the House in particular, has almost transformed into a High School environment. A dozen or so (maybe closer to two-dozen) children have taken hold of the House GOP in recent years (like the few bad kids taking over a classroom with a nervous teacher not caring/or afriad to discipline them), especially in the past 4 years or so.

Marjorie Taylor Green recorded herself with goons in tow calling AOC names and harassing her through the mail flap on her office door. Not unlike a spoiled teenage girl in High School who bullies the unpopular girl in the bathroom or gym class for a cheap laugh to mask her insecurities.

And this Paul Gosar fellow behaves like a 12-year-old boy who just discovered how to use photoshop and installed a cheap video editor so he could make a "cool" anime video of himself (and friends) harassing (killing) people they don't like to seem "tough."

Just two examples. Not even mentioning Matt Gaetz here for creating a scoring system of females he and his GOP colleagues bang, thinking they're the studs all women want.... The younger, the more points you get. And some GOP Representative released the phone numbers of their 13 colleagues (some of which are receiving death threats) who voted for the Infrastructure Plan last week.

I guess that's four examples, so there you go. There are many more.

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Is Kyle Rittenhouse the MAGA culture's OJ? Simpson?

Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:19 am

Flava'd vs The World wrote:

Is there a verdict?

Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:23 am
Hold the door!

No because we know he killed those people and it wasn't murder.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:27 am
The Kramer

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:

Is there a verdict?
Just basing it on the split reactions. No matter what you think about self-defense laws, the fact is that if Kyle Rittenhouse had stayed at home that day, instead of crossing state lines in pursuit of violence, then those people would not have gotten shot and nobody would have died. If he's not guilty of murder then it should be manslaughter. I don't see how there's any denying this, yet the MAGA crowd is rooting for him anyways because he is one of their own.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm
Devil's Advocate

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:57 pm
Hold the door!

"If such and such had stayed home they wouldn't have been in a bad situation" could be applied to any situation outside the home

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 186  Next