Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
Superfreak

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
Shack wrote:

Probably posturing to avoid being seen as a lame duck... but he'd probably have a better chance of winning than Harris

Expectations are being set way too low for both of them. Once they get through the always tough year one lens, they will look better. Biden is likable and has a number of positive things coming in year 2 and beyond, the economy is clearly roaring back. My thought is if he runs, he wins.

I am actually getting highly annoyed at the ridiculous coverage Kamala Harris has been getting. Nobody paid any attention to Biden, Pence, Cheney etc but because Harris probably has a future, some people are holding it against her that she has future ambitions but isn't acting like a shadow president. It is so similar to Hillary coverage in the 1990s. They really need to get over it. She is not being treated fairly.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:43 am
Hold the door!

Yeah for sure, by 2024 Biden will be one of the most popular presidents ever for sure! He'll surely be sentient by then

Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:18 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

All politicians are running for reelection until they're not.

As for popularity... I believe given not only the divided state of the United States, but also how most people on both sides of this divide are only interested in consuming likeminded news, ideas, etc., and only associate with likeminded people, that we're not going to have a popular president for quite some time. I can see a scenario of an unprecedented string of one-term presidents over the next several elections.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Biden is taking heat because he is at the top and whoever is at the top gets nitpicked to hell in years 1 and 2. He has no opposition to run against currently. Sure, if Mitt Romney ran in 2024, I bet he would beat Biden. But if its someone like Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz? They're not going to win.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
Biden is taking heat because he is at the top and whoever is at the top gets nitpicked to hell in years 1 and 2. He has no opposition to run against currently. Sure, if Mitt Romney ran in 2024, I bet he would beat Biden. But if its someone like Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz? They're not going to win.

Top candidates on Predictit

Donald Trump - 40 cents
Ron DeSantis - 26 cents
Nikki Haley - 7 cents
Mike Pence - 6 cents
Tim Scott - 5 cents
Mike Pompeo - 4 cents
Tom Cotton - 4 cents
Ted Cruz - 3 cents
Kristi Noem - 3 cents

I think the gap between DeSantis (might not run, isn't guarantee to be good if he runs) and Haley (looks like Romney voter type choice) should possibly be smaller

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 am
Keeping it Light

Excel wrote:

I can't see someone like Romney winning the primary.

Shack wrote:
Ron DeSantis - 26 cents

He's the best bet for republicans in the general right now, but we'll see, still so far away.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:03 am
Hold the door!

Republicans literally hate Romney. There's literally no way he could win a primary. And even if he did, only states I think he could win back are Arizona and Georgia. PA, WI and MI would for sure stay blue and NC would be at risk as well.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:11 am
Superfreak

zwackerm wrote:
Republicans literally hate Romney. There's literally no way he could win a primary. And even if he did, only states I think he could win back are Arizona and Georgia. PA, WI and MI would for sure stay blue and NC would be at risk as well.

If Republicans hate Romney, why did a Romney clone just dominate in Virgina? Some in MAGA hate Romney because he called Trump. People in the suburbs, who decide elections, love Romney. Romney won't run again but I bet he would do quite well.

Shack wrote:

Donald Trump - 40 cents
Ron DeSantis - 26 cents
Nikki Haley - 7 cents
Mike Pence - 6 cents
Tim Scott - 5 cents
Mike Pompeo - 4 cents
Tom Cotton - 4 cents
Ted Cruz - 3 cents
Kristi Noem - 3 cents

I think the gap between DeSantis (might not run, isn't guarantee to be good if he runs) and Haley (looks like Romney voter type choice) should possibly be smaller

I think DT support is a lot lower than people think. He is going to get pulverized beyond belief by the likes of Chris Christie and others if he runs again. The stench of the election aftermath is too intense. He has virtually no allies left in Washington, either as he has burned every bridge there is.

I don't see anyone on that list really challenging Biden in a general election.

stuffp wrote:

Shack wrote:
Ron DeSantis - 26 cents

He's the best bet for republicans in the general right now, but we'll see, still so far away.

I doubt Romney would ever run again. But if he did, I think he'd find a lot more support than people may initially expect.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Hold the door!

Excel wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

If Republicans hate Romney, why did a Romney clone just dominate in Virgina? Some in MAGA hate Romney because he called Trump. People in the suburbs, who decide elections, love Romney. Romney won't run again but I bet he would do quite well.

Shack wrote:

Donald Trump - 40 cents
Ron DeSantis - 26 cents
Nikki Haley - 7 cents
Mike Pence - 6 cents
Tim Scott - 5 cents
Mike Pompeo - 4 cents
Tom Cotton - 4 cents
Ted Cruz - 3 cents
Kristi Noem - 3 cents

I think DT support is a lot lower than people think. He is going to get pulverized beyond belief by the likes of Chris Christie and others if he runs again. The stench of the election aftermath is too intense. He has virtually no allies left in Washington, either as he has burned every bridge there is.

I don't see anyone on that list really challenging Biden in a general election.

stuffp wrote:

Shack wrote:
Ron DeSantis - 26 cents

I doubt Romney would ever run again. But if he did, I think he'd find a lot more support than people may initially expect.

Virginia is a relatively blue state, makes sense they would like a Republican who cozies up to the Democrats all the time.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:

He might end up a pretty big RINO in the end but I don't think he won by being a Romney clone, he leaned into the anti critical race theory type message while I associate Romney with being more of an economy guy who's pretty neutral on cultural issues

And until Biden proves that the current drop in popularity is just a down period before a rebound and becoming popular again, he can lose to almost all those candidates as they would just have to be OK if Democrats are unpopular enough by then, much like how Biden was just OK and won by people voting against Trump.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:59 pm
The Kramer

The "Pubs have moved on from Trump" beliefs are cute but with my eyes I see a world where anyone who stands up to him is being excommunicated from the "party." There are still people down in Dallas waiting for JFK JR (and apparently Michael Jackson now too?) to return from the dead and declare himself Trump's running mate.

It'll never happen, two parties being the perfect amount is the one thing Dems and Pubs absolutely agree on, but this is why we need the fatal four way system instead of all this duality.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:29 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
It wasn't just panicking. He was in serious danger if charging pedo dumbass reached him and took his gun. He has no obligation to just hope he just gets roughed up instead of killed with his own gun or beat to the point of brain damage. Moral is don't attack someone holding a rifle if you want to live
The moral should have been "don't drive across the country and instigate a war zone." But nope, in Amurica you have the right to stay silent and the right to make others stay silent forever apparently.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Biden proves that the current drop in popularity is just a down period before a rebound and becoming popular again, he can lose to almost all those candidates as they would just have to be OK if Democrats are unpopular enough by then, much like how Biden was just OK and won by people voting against Trump.

You're misreading the standard year 1 magnifying glass. The American economy is roaring, Covid will some day be over. There popularity decline will rebound whenever cover finally ends as the economy is looking great and will only get better.

zwackerm wrote:
Virginia is a relatively blue state, makes sense they would like a Republican who cozies up to the Democrats all the time.

Republicans need to flip blue states WI, PA, and MI in order to win.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Hold the door!

Excel wrote:
Shack wrote:
Biden proves that the current drop in popularity is just a down period before a rebound and becoming popular again, he can lose to almost all those candidates as they would just have to be OK if Democrats are unpopular enough by then, much like how Biden was just OK and won by people voting against Trump.

You're misreading the standard year 1 magnifying glass. The American economy is roaring, Covid will some day be over. There popularity decline will rebound whenever cover finally ends as the economy is looking great and will only get better.

zwackerm wrote:

Republicans need to flip blue states WI, PA, and MI in order to win.

The only reason Trump won those states is because of increased turnout in rural areas that won't turn out for a RINO

Plus Virginia is much bluer than those states. WI and PA are in the margin of error literally every election, along with "blue state" Nevada. Minnesota, New Hampshire and Maine have large rural bases that could swing them in favor of the Republican with an unlikable enough Democrat

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
[

US employment is still below pre pandemic levels and inflation is 6%, if people felt good about US economy Biden approval rating wouldn't be so low

Biden needs inflation numbers to go back to normal most of all. For Jimmy Carter they got worse and he got destroyed in 1980.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:34 pm
Superfreak

Inflation is inevitable with low unemployment and the resulting rising incomes. Its basic economics. The Trump brand just shoved "GOAT ECONOMY ATM!" down our throats while too many Dems are like "LETS DO EVEN MORE!!!". It's an epic messaging fail.

Also, the more I see from Chris Christie, clear as day he is running in 2024 and he is going to decimate Trump. It will likely be a hit job to help someone else rise but I wonder if DT really knows what awaits him.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
Inflation is inevitable with low unemployment and the resulting rising incomes. Its basic economics. The Trump brand just shoved "GOAT ECONOMY ATM!" down our throats while too many Dems are like "LETS DO EVEN MORE!!!". It's an epic messaging fail.

Also, the more I see from Chris Christie, clear as day he is running in 2024 and he is going to decimate Trump. It will likely be a hit job to help someone else rise but I wonder if DT really knows what awaits him.

Didn't Christie get killed by Trump in 2016? His corruption stuff ended his future presidential chances imo

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Didn't Christie get killed by Trump in 2016? His corruption stuff ended his future presidential chances imo

Christie's appeal is similar to Trump that he knows the MAGA crowd was/is looking for a "fighter" candidate who is unafraid to throw haymakers at those they feel deserving of them. Christie obliterated Marco Rubio in that fashion in 2016. It is becoming very clear in Christie's recent media tour that he is not afraid to go full more after Trump and as an administration insider, it hits a bit harder than others. It will be very different than Jeb Bush trying to wrangle with him.

Christie seems to blame Trump'd wrecklessness for Christies own Covid battle which makes personal. But more over, Christie has been pushing a new angle which is that Trump's basic incompetence and lack of discipline is he lost the White House, senate and house to the Dems in just 4 years. Christie was shoving the horrendous Republican political results of the Trump tenure relentlessly on his Axelrod interview. It is a unique angle.

I don't think he will ever have a shot at winning, but he could play an impactful role in the narrative during the primaries and help cut Trump down to size in a way that never happened in 2016. Christie as the tough-talking bulldog backing a ticket lead by a more calm, traditional candidate could very effective.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:13 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
Shack wrote:

Christie's appeal is similar to Trump that he knows the MAGA crowd was/is looking for a "fighter" candidate who is unafraid to throw haymakers at those they feel deserving of them. Christie obliterated Marco Rubio in that fashion in 2016. It is becoming very clear in Christie's recent media tour that he is not afraid to go full more after Trump and as an administration insider, it hits a bit harder than others. It will be very different than Jeb Bush trying to wrangle with him.

Christie seems to blame Trump'd wrecklessness for Christies own Covid battle which makes personal. But more over, Christie has been pushing a new angle which is that Trump's basic incompetence and lack of discipline is he lost the White House, senate and house to the Dems in just 4 years. Christie was shoving the horrendous Republican political results of the Trump tenure relentlessly on his Axelrod interview. It is a unique angle.

I don't think he will ever have a shot at winning, but he could play an impactful role in the narrative during the primaries and help cut Trump down to size in a way that never happened in 2016. Christie as the tough-talking bulldog backing a ticket lead by a more calm, traditional candidate could very effective.

He's unpopular with the Trump base, at the same time I think being a blustery Trump like guy personality wise also turns off the people who'd want a safe establishment candidate, whereas someone like Haley basically has the personality of the audio book recording of a textbook so it could be a good fit to run against Trump in the primary as the "normal, electable candidate" who will promise to end socialist economic policies. Maybe the weaker Biden looks the more the Republican voters would be tempted to play it safe with an uncontroversial candidate and just take the win vs rolling the dice with Trump.

I also like Tom Cotton is a sleeper, he is pretty conservative but strictly on appearance level I like the idea of an intimidating 6'5 dude with serious type demeanour in terms of someone that could be sold as presidential. Maybe if he greys out by then as well.

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:25 am
The Kramer

Fair is fair, and since I criticized Trump's partial travel ban I'll do the same for Biden's. We've learned, twice now, that once we discover a new strain it has probably already made its way into Europe. So do a full travel ban or none at all.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:49 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Pretty much agreed. Canada has reported its first case(s) now, so cases being reported in the US are imminent.

Japan just announced a temporary ban on all foreign visitors. They've handled the pandemic very well throughout (slow vaccine rollout aside) with little restrictions and zero lockdowns within the country, and are down to miniscule COVID cases of 10-20 a day in Tokyo and 100-200 a day nationwide, sometimes even less (73 yesterday). Not taking any chances of letting a new variant potentially mess all that work up.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:41 am
Superfreak

Court system is 3/3 with correct calls in Rittenhouse, Arbery and Smollet cases.

Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:07 am

The Court system is the best and most functional part of our government. Primarily because it does not cater to political parties.

Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:45 am
The Kramer

Of course it is. Even if it is legal to drive across the country and put yourself in a position where murdering someone is the only way to "defend yourself", Rittenhouse was only able to prove his "innocence" because he had a high price lawyer paid for by his fellow Trumpers. If not for that he would have probably taken a plea deal like all other poor people do.

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 186  Next