Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
Democrats keep saying if Republicans are elected, it will mean an end to democracy. I'm not sure democracy means what they think it means.

It's democracy whether Republicans or Democrats are fairly elected

Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:47 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

So why then are republicans trying to pass laws to make elections less fair, lmao

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Populist outsider candidates getting elected is probably the purest form of democracy. What's anti-democratic is Wall St CEO funding elections or Zuckerberg and Bezos having much more influence on an election than Joe the plumber despite them all supposed to be having 1 vote. Normally the top 1% is going to be demanding much higher than 1% of the decision making process choosing candidates for an election or winners, because why wouldn't they? They have the power so they're going to use it. 2016 was the closest to their vote only counting as much as everyone else.

Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:50 pm
Devil's Advocate

Shack wrote:
Shack wrote:
Current prices on predictit for senate (roughly reflects betters predicted % of winning)

Colorado 86-13 Democrats
New Hampshire - 73-29 Democrats
Pennsylvania - 73-29 Democrats
Arizona - 62-39 Democrats
Georgia - 60-42 Democrats
Nevada - 52-49 Democrats
Wisconsin - 61-40 Republicans
North Carolina - 70-30 Republicans
Ohio - 73-28 Republican
Florida - 89-13 Republican

Current prices

Colorado 83-17 Democrats (+3 R)
New Hampshire 81-19 Democrats (+8 D)
Arizona 68-35 Democrats (+6 D)
Pennsylvania 66-36 Democrats (+7 R)
Georgia 52-51 Republicans (+8 R)
Nevada 57-45 Republicans (+5 R)
Wisconsin 72-32 Republicans (+11 R)
North Carolina 73-27 Republicans (+3 R)
Ohio 75-26 Republicans (+2 R)
Florida 88-14 Republicans (+1 D)

Utah and Washington are 88-89

Update (change from last time in brackets)

Washington 88-13 D (+2 R)
Colorado 86-15 D (+3 D)
New Hampshire 73-23 D (+6 R)
Arizona 54-49 D (+14 R)
Georgia 53-52 R (+1 R)
Pennsylvania 58-47 R (+20.5 R)
Nevada 68-32 R (+12 R)
Ohio 83-20 R (+7 R)
Wisconsin 84-13 R (+15.5 R)
North Carolina 85-15 R (+12 R)
Utah 87-13 R (+2.5 D)
Florida 93-8 R (+5.5 R)

Major turnaround in Pennsylvania with Oz now favored

Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:24 am
Hold the door!

My prediction is that Warnock wins the initial election with sub 50% of the vote and then Walker wins the runoff.

Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:23 am
Devil's Advocate

My main wish for the midterms was for Democrats to be gridlocked and buy 2 more years for people to snap out of the woke era. Since the House seems to be considered a near lock for Republicans and the Senate is at minimum in Manchin and Sinema range that seems pretty safe.

Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:27 am
Hold the door!

Abortion doesn't seem to be having a huge effect on this election cycle, if it did all the swing races should be leaning democrat and they're not

Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:01 am
Devil's Advocate

Gretchen Whitmer is in some trouble in Michigan. Aesthetically appealing race.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:53 am
Hold the door!

I expect Whitmer will win but it won't be by the enormous margin it looked like.

Too bad Mastriano can't catch on in the same way Dixon has.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:29 pm
The Dark Knight

Mastriano is probably the most extreme GOP candidate for governor in the country, being an openly proud racist and antisemite, so thank God he hasn't caught on.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Cynosure wrote:
Mastriano is probably the most extreme GOP candidate for governor in the country

Well Kari Lake is probably the most pure MAGA, there are different ways to define "extreme" though

Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:59 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah for instance, the right extreme is nazi, while the left extreme is equal pay for all, healthcare for all, the right to medical privacy, high taxes on the rich, etc etc etc

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

Chippy wrote:
Yeah for instance, the right extreme is nazi, while the left extreme is equal pay for all, healthcare for all, the right to medical privacy, high taxes on the rich, etc etc etc

So we can't say the left extreme is communism?

Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:19 pm
Hold the door!

Cynosure wrote:
Mastriano is probably the most extreme GOP candidate for governor in the country, being an openly proud racist and antisemite, so thank God he hasn't caught on.

Is Dixon not also pretty extreme? There was a reason she was so far behind Whitmer for so long.

I know hes very anti abortion, but how is he racist or antisemitic? I thought the abortion thing was the main thing people don't like

Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:52 am
Hold the door!

Drag is basically blackface but for women. An over the top exaggerated caricature of all the worst qualities people perceive women to have. It should be frowned upon in the same way

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:30 am

Considering the people who do drag are themselves marginalized people…I think you’re missing what is wrong with Blackface

Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:28 am
Hold the door!

Aren't women supposed to be a marginalized group as well, according to progressives? Everyone not white, male and hetero is marginalized.

There are straight drag queens, but its largely gay men making fun of a demo that they by default know less about than the rest of the population, as the rest of the population either is a woman or dates women.

Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Drag queens aren't making fun of women, dude. WTF? And saying gay men know less about women than others? What in the world? If anything, straight men like yourself know less about women than any other group. Being sexually attracted to women certainly doesn't mean you, by "default", know more about them. :funny:

You seem to have no knowledge of this whatsoever. Do you even know someone who dresses in drag? Have you even been to a drag show? You're very out of your element here.

Also, unless you have an interest in drag, which is fine, duh, why do you even care about this? Go find a hobby to waste that time and/or spend it on something that effects you instead, maybe?

Stop fishing for something to argue about that makes you uncomfortable. Go enjoy something and stop finding a more things to be "concerned" or worried about. How exhausting. Maybe go tan your balls? Hear it's the manly thing to do now in some circles.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I have seen videos of drag shows online. What is the point of drag if not to present an over the top and ridiculous caricature of women as ditzy and overly sexualized that could be offensive? Do they think they're giving an uplifting and positive view of women.

I would agree that being attracted to women doesn't give you insight on them, but being in a relationship or marriage with one certainly does.

My only other guess would be that certain people find male burlesque performances attractive. Other than humor at the expense of women or arousal, what pleasure is found in drag?

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:14 pm
Devil's Advocate

In a vacuum zwackerm is right but I think because the ultra misogynists are these wood chopping guys who would never be caught dead wearing drag, it helps prevent it from getting as insulting as the worst blackface.

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:23 pm
Hold the door!

Why are some polls marked (R) and other polls marked (D)? is that the political party of the pollster? if so, how does that affect a random poll unless they go out of their way to poll people of their own party, defeating the purpose of the poll

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

zwackerm wrote:
I have seen videos of drag shows online. What is the point of drag if not to present an over the top and ridiculous caricature of women as ditzy and overly sexualized that could be offensive? Do they think they're giving an uplifting and positive view of women.

I would agree that being attracted to women doesn't give you insight on them, but being in a relationship or marriage with one certainly does.

My only other guess would be that certain people find male burlesque performances attractive. Other than humor at the expense of women or arousal, what pleasure is found in drag?

My suggestion (and to many): Get off the internet. Go out in life and talk to people, and go experience things for yourself.

Quick example: The far-left is quick to dismiss religious conservatives as wackos, but I know many religious individuals, have attended church services, and know from first hand experience that labeling all of them as such is bullshit. Many disagree with things like abortion or same-sex marriage, but they can still be kind people. Not all, of course. There are extremes who turn those disagreements into hateful speech and actions. You just need to avoid them when possible, and if they encroach, shut it down.

If you lack knowledge on a group of people or a subject manner, go immerse yourself with those people and/or that topic. Don't presume it's what you think it is. So many are at fault of this. Don't go based on what you see in online fantasyland or what you hear others around you talking about. That's all secondhand experience at best, downright false information at worst.

Do to a drag show. Ask a performer your questions. There are extreme people in every group that others latch onto as a representation of that group, which is wrong, and is only exemplified in the social media age. There are fun, loving, kind people in every group, including drag performers. The drag queens I know (or knew before moving to the boondocks) are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Just like the older woman down the road I talk to, exchange stories with, share food with (or my husband's soaps he enjoys to make), who goes to church every Sunday and votes Republican most of the time.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I would love to meet a drag queen if I could do so outside of the context of a drag show.

The best answer I've gotten is that drag queens enjoy breaking barriers between male and female, which I can understand. But why would they not dress like that in their day to day life, and only to perform then if they enjoy a feminine self expression?

Dylan Mulvaney inspired this line of questions. Even transgender people are calling out his expression of femininity as offensive

Last edited by zwackerm on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

zwackerm wrote:
Why are some polls marked (R) and other polls marked (D)? is that the political party of the pollster? if so, how does that affect a random poll unless they go out of their way to poll people of their own party, defeating the purpose of the poll

Can you show an example?

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:42 pm
Hold the door!

Shack wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Can you show an example?

Trafalgar Group is (R), Impact Research is (D), Rasmussen is (R), Center Street PAC is (D), etc.

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 186  Next