Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
The Dark Knight

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
Excel wrote:
Court system is 3/3 with correct calls in Rittenhouse, Arbery and Smollet cases.

Ghislaine Maxwell just joined the list. Very good showing of the US justice system in recent weeks. :yes:

Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:46 pm
Hold the door!

Eric Adams seems like a step in the right direction away from the De Blaise back toward a Bloomberg moderate type of Democrat.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

The attempt to use J6 anniversary as part of an early 2024 campaign to score political points on Trump is pretty transparent. I think people would like them more if they spoke to them as humans rather than trying to get their future votes at all times.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:48 pm

But he is right

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:58 pm
Hold the door!

That tweet doesn’t even mention Jan 6th at least.

He is right that the election wasn’t stolen though. Doesn’t mean Biden is a better president

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:16 pm
Superfreak

He would not be doing this if more Republicans in congress were treating the January 6th attack as what it was. Dick fucking Cheney being the moral compass on this one is crazy.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Ted Cruz's theme song is the one from Hamilton about Never Gonna be President

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 am
Devil's Advocate

She is now a clear 4th on Predictit behind Biden, Harris and Buttigeig.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:25 pm
Keeping it Light

I don't think the Dems are in a very good position and I think they're running uphill in winning in 2024.

I think Hillary would be a better candidate for them then Biden or Harris, but I think they have their best chance with Buttigieg.
He just comes closest to the direction the party seems to want to go on, and I frankly think they have no or will not have a candidate that is going to win it for them, and just with Buttigieg getting the nomination I think they'll set themselves up better for 2028 and beyond.
Just take the loss in 2024 and look at it long term.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Eric Adams would be their best candidate down the road

Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:53 am
The Kramer

That story leaked before 2020 too. I think it's calculated move to make whoever the 2024 is look better by comparison. "At least its not Hilary."

Is it time for Michelle? I'd say use that card only if it looks like Trump will win again (which is almost a certainty.) Too bad Stacey Abrams is more interesting in staying local.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:51 pm
Superfreak

Why everybody acting like Biden isn't doing s great job so far? Economy is booming, hopefully covid going to end soon...his biggest scandal is ending the dumbest war ever? wtf.

If he doesn't run, Kamala has done excellent in interviews and speeches . Pete B will be primed by 2014. Bob Iger will have some free time. etc etc

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

7% inflation is his biggest problem with economy right now imo

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
That story leaked before 2020 too. I think it's calculated move to make whoever the 2024 is look better by comparison. "At least its not Hilary."

Is it time for Michelle? I'd say use that card only if it looks like Trump will win again (which is almost a certainty.) Too bad Stacey Abrams is more interesting in staying local.

I think Hillary taking 2020 off and trying to pull a 1960/1968 Nixon was the right move if she was planning to run again, especially if Trump had won 2020 she could have avoided the rematch.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Unless his age would catch up to him, Biden is going to run for reelection. Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, and any other household names just always get tossed around to create headlines. I even saw Dick Cheney's name floating around in news headlines as being a possibility in 2024. Yeah, no. Just buzzworthy names meant to increase traffic.

It's also interesting that Trump is coming out stronger and stronger for the vaccine and booster lately, recently calling Republicans who hide their booster status gutless (*cough* DeSantis *cough*). I think he can be "less Trump" himself and still not really lose many supporters, certainly not enough to lose the primary if he decides to run. I know he's been getting booed, but the majority will probably stick with him. This "new attitude" does suggest he's considering a run as more of a "moderate", but I still don't think he'll jump in. The biggest sore-losers rarely jump back into the game for fear of losing again.

Regarding all the criticisms against Biden... It's what people do. It doesn't really matter what the problem is, people just blame the highest authority they can. Some things can be linked to them, sure, but not absolutely everything is because of them either. And any good they do is just drowned out and ignored. This is basically why Congress so regularly flips in the first term of a new President. Now, the Biden Admin. has been pretty stupid with all their "we didn't anticipate [insert problem here]" comments. Most of the current problems WERE expected and anticipated. And any that weren't (probably none), should have been anticipated anyway. That's what leadership is suppose to do... anticipate and act before a problem occurs. Can't bat 100% at making sure everything's perfect, but should still aim for that 300+.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The Supreme Court shot down Biden's vaccine mandate, although healthcare one stays

This also emphasizes the Democrats big push to to end the filibuster is a waste of time. Even if by a miracle they made Manchin and Sinema (and probably a handful of other senators) budge on the filibuster after they refused to on Build Back Better, their idea to federalize election rules is another hail mary from there to pass Supreme Court.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:58 pm
The Dark Knight

Shack wrote:
The Supreme Court shot down Biden's vaccine mandate, although healthcare one stays

This also emphasizes the Democrats big push to to end the filibuster is a waste of time. Even if by a miracle they made Manchin and Sinema (and probably a handful of other senators) budge on the filibuster after they refused to on Build Back Better, their idea to federalize election rules is another hail mary from there to pass Supreme Court.

Imo they know that and are just playing it for their voters. Nuking the filibuster would actually mean risking a future republican president being able to do a lot more politically on the federal level, and unlike Biden said president wouldn't have the Supreme Court blocking many of his decisions.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:24 pm

Supreme Court is not a part of the two party system. There is no such thing as a Republican or Democrat Supreme Court.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:31 pm
Hold the door!

No but there are judicial activists (the dem appointed ones), originalists (Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch) and disappointing squishy Republican appointed judges with no backbone (Kavanaugh, Barrett and Roberts)

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:25 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Supreme Court is not a part of the two party system. There is no such thing as a Republican or Democrat Supreme Court.

No, but there are conservative, moderate, and liberal appointees. And while the Constitution is open to interpretation, as it should be and was intended to be to allow future generations to make the appropriate changes as time goes on, it can be manipulated to work more in tow with one of the other branches. (Just look at 2016.) An ideal court will be balanced, but when it becomes firmly conservative or liberal, it creates the opportunity to be abused.

And a 6-3 court is no longer balanced, or, if you want, it's at its absolute limit. And if it happens to become a 7-2 court, it can hardly be used as a body to rule without prejudice. It just becomes a means to an end to justify political agendas.

And it becomes dangerous for the separation of powers to operate as fairly as it can. When one branch struggles or outright fails to act as intended as a result of a break in the check-and-balance system, the other two are more prone to being abused or fail as well, causing the entire system to breakdown. I think the discussion about democracy in the U.S. on the cusp of failing soon are currently premature, but if it's the Cliffhanger game in The Price is Right, the mountain climber is nearing that peak and needs a dead-on price guess soon.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 am
Profile WWW

zwackerm wrote:
No but there are judicial activists (the dem appointed ones), originalists (Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch) and disappointing squishy Republican appointed judges with no backbone (Kavanaugh, Barrett and Roberts)

Gee I wonder where your bias lie.

It frustrates me when judges like Barrett and Roberts actually try and be objective, but when they do, people get mad that they aren’t politicians with agendas.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 am
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Gee I wonder where your bias lie.

It frustrates me when judges like Barrett and Roberts actually try and be objective, but when they do, people get mad that they aren’t politicians with agendas.

Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch follow the Constitution far closer than the other Republican appointees. Roberts may as well have been appointed by a Dem .

A supreme court should not have nearly as many 9-0 rulings as this court does. Only milquetoast rulings no one cares about will have so many. Roberts, Barret and Kavanaugh are more concerned with the "reputation of the court" and "precedent" rather than the constitution.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

The only thing missing on Supreme Court is an actual center left-ish Democrat, the three they have seem like far left. But Roberts is basically the center left so that makes it 4-5 which is not a bad split. And others like Kavanaugh (who voted for healthcare mandate) are not that far off from Roberts.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:26 pm

I always have been an independent voter and thus like when Judges don’t fall in line with the mindless talking points of current politics. It is why even despite my disagreements I like Senators like Romney, Manchin, and the late McCain.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:42 pm
Hold the door!

Calling to primary Manchin and Sinema is handing 2 senate seats back to the Republicans on a silver platter.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Sinema can be replaced. AZ is a competitive state that should become slightly more favorable in the coming years. She's by far the most disappointing of the two, not really negotiating or announcing where she stands most of the time. I don't know if I'd say I'm in favor of the party challenging her, it depends on how the national map looks by that time (e.g. assume that the seat is lost either way and if it can be picked up elsewhere before considering a challenge there), but it's a reasonable option to consider.

Manchin cannot. There's no moderate Dem. in the state with a big enough name. And no one left of him will stand a chance. It'd be a waste of money and time. He's literally the last Democratic holdover from a formerly very blue state. For starters, he's not going to lose a primary race. And once he's gone, a Democrat is incredibly unlikely to hold a Senate seat in WV again for decades/generations to come. Just got to deal with him.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 186  Next