Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Is the Afghanistan Surge gonna change something? 
The Original

Post Is the Afghanistan Surge gonna change something?
I dont see Nato etc starting to leave already in 18 months.
This is gonna take much longer. Lets make of 10 maybe 15-20 years. (after start 2001)
Discuss.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Post Re: Is the Afghanistan Surge gonna change something?

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Klassiker

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:36 pm
Extraordinary

The answer is no because we've changed all that we can change.

They have a puppet president, women and girls can go to schools, the drug trade is thriving and we have access or a route to some natural resources that we need to hog.

I wish we'd just gtfo of that country and leave'em alone and leave Iraq but the freaks in Congress are just backstabbing liars who didn't cut off funding for the war when Bush was in power and now just do nothing to prevent this from continuing. I just don't get this endlessness. Our troops aren't supposed to fighting wars like this.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 pm
Extraordinary

to think that after 8 years we're going to see a big change all in the next 18 months is stupid.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Does somebody exactly know how many troops the US has in Afghanistan now (without that 30000)

35000 for ISAF
30000 for Enduring Freedom
------

Can that be?

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:22 pm
Z

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is somewhat old but...

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-wo ... -fste.html

Quote:
Obama is studying classified recommendations on future strategy by war commander General Stanley McChrystal, who is widely expected to submit a separate formal request to increase the 62,000-strong US force.

This makes me think our forces there are nearing 100,000.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:06 am
Extraordinary

Maybe he's hoping they'll capture or kill bin Laden and then everyone will think it was completely worth it.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I don't think bin Laden is in Afghanistan, hehe.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Groucho wrote:
Maybe he's hoping they'll capture or kill bin Laden and then everyone will think it was completely worth it.

Does anyone really believe that killing or capturing bin Laden will be worth all that much in the grand scheme of things? Sure, he'll be brought to justice for his participation in 9/11, but other than that, it is not like it will curb much terrorism or pacify Afghanistan. Ho Chi Minh died in in the middle of the Vietnam War and the North Vietnamese still won and he was at least nominally in control of a country whereas bin Laden is not.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Caius wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Does anyone really believe that killing or capturing bin Laden will be worth all that much in the grand scheme of things?

Certainly. Some people are fascinatingly naive.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Does anyone really believe that killing or capturing bin Laden will be worth all that much in the grand scheme of things? Sure, he'll be brought to justice for his participation in 9/11, but other than that, it is not like it will curb much terrorism or pacify Afghanistan. Ho Chi Minh died in in the middle of the Vietnam War and the North Vietnamese still won and he was at least nominally in control of a country whereas bin Laden is not.

UBL is dead already and has been for a long time...

Afghanistan. This isn't a vietnam that's going to turn into a hybrid Chinese style govt/economy in 20 years. That country is backwards and always will be. Leave and let them have at it. Heck, let Packistan or Iran takeover that sick waste of land.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:17 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I haven't really know anyone who had been deployed over the past 8 years or so until this recent surge.

A friend in high school, 18, was recently deployed to Afghanistan last Monday. And my boss's daughter was told she'll be sent to Afghanistan today. The look on my boss's face at work today when she found out was pretty heartbreaking.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:16 am
Profile WWW
The Original

It seems that Karzai did say something today like "I think we will need another 10-15 years before we can take all military and police responsibility "

So there you have it. This gonna take some time.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]