Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Glenn Beck, what? 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Glenn Beck, what?
Do I even have to point out that this is absolutely in no way, shape or form related to Beck?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:34 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Powered By Hate

What, Ugandan buttsex, the Tea Party or potentially violent people in the Tea Party? I used the Ugandan anti-homosexuality bill as comparison because Glenn Beck has never said anything overtly violent that I can recall, but he is very good at fanning the flames because his audience consists of very frightened, very angry people (and many of them have very, very good reason to be, honestly). Similarly, the American preachers that went to Uganda may never have said "kill the gays", but stirred the pot in very irresponsible ways for their own ends (ie exploiting a poor, desperate, AIDS-ravaged people's fears of the poo-poo-eaters).

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

It's a red herring. Nothing that Glenn Beck said has anything to do with Uganda's anti-homosexuality laws, so why even bring it up?

As for the subject at hand: do you have any shred of evidence that Glenn Beck supporters are more predisposed towards terrorist attacks than an average American?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Powered By Hate

Nope. No, you're right, nothing freaky about increases in militias, the skyrocketing Secret Service threats and founding father chic, or the TP-endorsed Sharron Angle's vague threat about Reid, and there's absolutely no way to correlate that to the Tea Party. Nothing has happened yet, so it is absurd to have a bad feeling that some TPer is gonna blow up. I should be eating out Pam Geller right now.

I never said violence was imminent or that we should be buying anti-terrorist kits, it's a social observation that raises personal alarm bells.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:47 pm
Cream of the Crop

Tyler wrote:
Nope. No, you're right, nothing freaky about increases in militias, the skyrocketing Secret Service threats and founding father chic, or the TP-endorsed Sharron Angle's vague threat about Reid, and there's absolutely no way to correlate that to the Tea Party. Nothing has happened yet, so it is absurd to have a bad feeling that some TPer is gonna blow up. I should be eating out Pam Geller right now.

I never said violence was imminent or that we should be buying anti-terrorist kits, it's a social observation that raises personal alarm bells.

I see. Nothing related to Glenn Beck, of course, you're just making a connection. And of course no evidence of impeding terrorist attacks.

Hey, just curious, when James Lee took Discovery Channel hostage, did you blame that on PETA?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Powered By Hate

Has PETA ever used violent rhetoric, even vaguely? Do they have a popular show on a news network led by a charismatic figure that routinely exploits the fears of angry, scared people?

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 am
Cream of the Crop

Tyler wrote:
Has PETA ever used violent rhetoric, even vaguely?

Yes, many times. And, by your own admission, Beck hasn't.

Tyler wrote:
Do they have a popular show on a news network led by a charismatic figure that routinely exploits the fears of angry, scared people?

This is relevant to the subject matter how?

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am
Profile ICQ WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Tyler wrote:
Has PETA ever used violent rhetoric, even vaguely? Do they have a popular show on a news network led by a charismatic figure that routinely exploits the fears of angry, scared people?

Doesn't Ingrid Newkirk have connections to ALF and ELF, who burn down buildings on college campuses, and doesn't she support "direct action" in freeing animals?

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Uh, yes, Beck has used violent rhetoric. I never said otherwise. http://mediamatters.org/research/201007270045

For the record, I already hate PETA and was actually not sure if they did, though they don't really drive political narrative much.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:50 pm
Cream of the Crop

Tyler wrote:
Uh, yes, Beck has used violent rhetoric. I never said otherwise.

Except that you did: Glenn Beck has never said anything overtly violent that I can recall

Where's the smoking gun in the Media Matters link? As far as I can see it's just a collection of out of context things he said and recounts of some acts of violence that aren't even connected to Beck.

Remember, your original thesis was that Beck's supporters are more inclined to terrorism than an average American. Where's the evidence?
Tyler wrote:
For the record, I already hate PETA and was actually not sure if they did, though they don't really drive political narrative much.

You're missing the point again. Are you willing to blame PETA for James Lee's actions?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:26 am
Profile ICQ WWW