Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
Obviously the situation is more complex than any amount of simple gun reform can fix, but the fact of the matter is that we have a problem, yes a gun problem in this country. A large chunk of voters and politicians continue to dig their heels down on the issue and come up with excuses, but nothing is done.

Zwack does have a decent solution with the metal detectors and what not, which is not a bad idea actually. But the people who think arming teachers is the solution is clearly being played by the gun industry which is the saddest part of these debates

Wed May 25, 2022 5:38 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

If it comes to arming teachers, they best be getting their teacher's salary AND a police officer's salary (and all the benefits that come with that) if they're going to be teaching while putting their life on the line. What happens when an unstable student attacks their teacher to obtain their gun and shoots up the class because he was bullied? Sure, maybe he could get a gun somewhere else, but it's right there in the classroom for him to get now and removes any obstacles of getting one otherwise and getting it into the school.

And to put security officers/cops in every school (K-12) would require almost 100,000 bodies for just one officer per building. The school in this case even had one that let the murderer get by. For this to "work", I would imagine, what, 3-5 bodies per school (minimum? but even then, a school can be 50,000-250,000+ square feet), so maybe up to as many as 500,000 officers for this to be reasonable? The US has, in total, around 900,000 members in law enforcement currently.

The leading cause of death in children in the US are guns now, surpassing car accidents. We put a shit load of requirements, restrictions and regulations on vehicles to make them both more difficult to obtain and safer to drive, not to mention all the laws related for them as well, to help cut back on deaths. But guns? Nada. In fact, some states (Texas for example) have recently eased the requirements (to almost none) to obtain a gun.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed May 25, 2022 6:37 pm
Profile WWW

I think the ban of private sales and a system that tracks where every gun is should be implemented

Wed May 25, 2022 7:04 pm

I am now reading he used an assault rifle. Yeah, I am certainly on board with those being banned. Perhaps my strictest stance on guns.

Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 pm
Hold the door!

I am not for the government banning any specific type of gun unless it was illegal for cops/military/government to use the same gun.

Wed May 25, 2022 10:36 pm
Hold the door!

I think arming like one teacher per hallway with a concealed carry could work but obviously not every teacher having a gun and definitely not in view of the students where it can get stolen

Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 pm
The Kramer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Seems like most of the damage was done by a handgun that was stolen from his grandmother (this could be false information though.)
Yup this was false info. He had an assault rifle that he bought legally. This could have been prevented, but thoughts and prayers will have to suffice.

Thu May 26, 2022 1:14 pm
Hold the door!

Seems like most of the damage was done by a handgun that was stolen from his grandmother (this could be false information though.)
Yup this was false info. He had an assault rifle that he bought legally. This could have been prevented, but thoughts and prayers will have to suffice.

He still could have bought another gun. The type of gun means very little at close range like that

Thu May 26, 2022 1:19 pm
The Kramer

So assault rifles can't hold biggers clips, fire bullets faster and intimidate police ("good guys" with guns who were outside waiting during the 40 minute massacre) from coming in to intervene?

Thu May 26, 2022 1:38 pm

zwackerm wrote:

He still could have bought another gun. The type of gun means very little at close range like that

Except with a handgun he would have been far easier to subdue. Remember this guy holed himself up for nearly an hour in the classroom. He only gets to do that because he has a military grade weapon making him a far bigger threat to the police which did respond rather quickly. The more info that gets revealed on this situation, the more it becomes obvious that this could have been prevented.

I always say to wait for the information to come in before jumping to conclusions, and my earlier posts were more concerned with his motives, but I am starting to find this was could have been prevented.

Soon, I am sure conspiracy theories will mount.

Thu May 26, 2022 3:07 pm
The Kramer

Who can afford crisis actors in this economy?

Thu May 26, 2022 3:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The local law enforcement looks quite bad from this. From the wrong and/or conflicting reports, to the questionable handling of the situation, there appears to be little (nothing?) they did right here. Would be no surprise if future shooters look to this failed response as a means of encouragement to act sooner.

The Police Lieutenant even said the cops were reluctant to engage the shooter because they could have been shot or killed. What's even the point of responding then? Hopefully they live forever with regret and never get quiet night's sleep again.

Seems like the parents that the cops were arguing with outside the school would have been more effective in handling this than them.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu May 26, 2022 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, new info is making it seem like a police botch. Too bad the killer wasn’t a BLM protester

Thu May 26, 2022 11:13 pm
The Kramer

#BlueLivesScatter

Fri May 27, 2022 3:13 pm
Superfreak

Biden supposedly canceling $10,000 in student loans per person. Normally would be cause to rejoice but they have done such a horrendous job managing expectations that many on the left are upset. This is some pathetic handling by the Biden administration and Dems TBH. They're not even going to be able to brag about it because so many view it as not enough. This is comical.

Fri May 27, 2022 3:38 pm
Hold the door!

Source? I see articles saying he wants to but nothing saying its confirmed

Fri May 27, 2022 3:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

Not sure if he has the power but the numbers being thrown out (everyone up to 150k per year salary) is too high. It'd one thing to bail out the ones working at Starbucks, but making everyone else (via inflation) pay for the student debt of someone making 100 thousand per year is stupid.

Fri May 27, 2022 3:58 pm

I get that a lot of students were taken advantage of by money lenders and it is having a profound impact on our economy, but I am not sure I am on board with student loan forgiveness, but I do understand its purpose beyond being a handout

Fri May 27, 2022 4:03 pm
Hold the door!

I would never vote for student loan forgiveness but I have purposefully waited to repay my loans until they are due in case this happened.

It's not fair to people who didn't go to college or who already paid off their loans, but I'm not letting everyone else take advantage.

Fri May 27, 2022 4:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It should have been done in his first year, yes. I could also support a sort of bracket system that excludes wealthy families and helps poorer people more, but even then, college loans are still ridiculous even if they don't hurt one person as much as another. So, I'd be fine if it was a blanket forgiveness as well. $10,000 is a little weak though. I don't trust the government to really be able to work out a percentage share system, say... up to $10,000 as a minimum OR 50% of your loan debt, which is an average of ~$18,000, as that'd help the especially impacted people here with the mountains of worth of debt.

Being upset that something is being done to help others but not you is weird though. I get wanting it too, sure, and missing out on it may be unfortunate, but it'll help a lot of people and helping people is good. If anything, be upset with prior presidents, leaders, etc., who never acted on it.

If it was announced that all mortgage loans (just an example) were forgiven the day after I decided to pay off the final couple years off in a lump sum or something, I wouldn't be pissed. I might wish it had been done earlier, obviously, but I'd be happy for all the people it would help out since it's a burden lifted off their shoulders.

Fri May 27, 2022 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Student loan subjects the epitome of the theory vs. reality argument dynamic.

Theory says don't take out loans you can't pay back and you should be the one who suffers due to your own decision making mistakes.

Reality is that the number of people directly affected is so vast, and the number of people indirectly affected is so insanely large, the problems its caused pretty much have to be addressed at the federal level in some way. The effects of this on birth rates and the housing market alone should cause serious concern for everyone.

This is also one of the few issues where there difference in position by race is crystal clear and anyone in support of actions that truly help level playing field should be on board with reasonable loan forgiveness in conjunction with some effective preventative measures.

Fri May 27, 2022 5:01 pm
Superfreak

Corpse wrote:
If it was announced that all mortgage loans (just an example) were forgiven the day after I decided to pay off the final couple years off in a lump sum or something, I wouldn't be pissed. I might wish it had been done earlier, obviously, but I'd be happy for all the people it would help out since it's a burden lifted off their shoulders.

You would also be happy about your current home value about to skyrocket.

The governments failure to properly regulate these types of mass borrowing means they need to intervene to correct it down the line. Pretty basic.

Fri May 27, 2022 5:02 pm

Excel wrote:
Student loan subjects the epitome of the theory vs. reality argument dynamic.

Theory says don't take out loans you can't pay back and you should be the one who suffers due to your own decision making mistakes.

Reality is that the number of people directly affected is so vast, and the number of people indirectly affected is so insanely large, the problems its caused pretty much have to be addressed at the federal level in some way. The effects of this on birth rates and the housing market alone should cause serious concern for everyone.

This is also one of the few issues where there difference in position by race is crystal clear and anyone in support of actions that truly help level playing field should be on board with reasonable loan forgiveness in conjunction with some effective preventative measures.

This is where I am. So many get lost in the theory that they ignore the reality of the problem we are facing. But I would worry that in this current market, such a feat would not bode well for inflation.

Fri May 27, 2022 5:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
Corpse wrote:

The governments failure to properly regulate these types of mass borrowing means they need to intervene to correct it down the line. Pretty basic.

If the goal is for the next generation to not go into student debt for arts degrees as much, doesn’t it send the wrong message to relieve the current one’s debt?

Fri May 27, 2022 7:29 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Excel wrote:
Corpse wrote:

If the goal is for the next generation to not go into student debt for arts degrees as much, doesn’t it send the wrong message to relieve the current one’s debt?

A fair nitpick of an inevitably imperfect but still 100% necessary federal government response.

Sorry but a lot more people will be negatively affected by further inaction than by sending the wrong message to future failed artists.

Fri May 27, 2022 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 186  Next