Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 4643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Is Ilhan Omar secretly hotter than AOC?
What? You’re crazy 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Always has been 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Boebert ftw 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
Superfreak

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
JB's covid test website/USPS team up is a towering, gigantic success.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

Corpse wrote:
Sinema can be replaced. AZ is a competitive state that should become slightly more favorable in the coming years. She's by far the most disappointing of the two, not really negotiating or announcing where she stands most of the time. I don't know if I'd say I'm in favor of the party challenging her, it depends on how the national map looks by that time (e.g. assume that the seat is lost either way and if it can be picked up elsewhere before considering a challenge there), but it's a reasonable option to consider.

If a progressive beats her than they would likely lose to Republicans, while if someone equally as conservative as her and Manchin beats her, it's pointless other than getting rid of her out of spite. So they would have to find someone moderate enough to win, but willing to go along with all the progressive bills and filibuster reform type moves they want. Seems like a hard thing to combine.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

In a few years a more liberal candidate may be viable in a state like AZ. But yeah, a challenge against Sinema now is probably unwise unless, as I said, the national map looks strong in favor for them overall, making a loss there of smaller consequence.

This comparison isn't quite the same, but it's similar (in it being a questionable/dumb decision) to MAGA trying to primary Murkowski up in Alaska. She's a shoe-in to keep her seat (Republican) until she retires. Why risk a Democrat winning it by primarying her with some baboon (doesn't take much to win a primary these days) on the ticket that will struggle in the general instead? Murkowski almost always votes with her party. She mostly votes in opposition only when her vote won't change the outcome (like all politicians do when they have the opportunity and it plays well back home). It's stupid trying to unseat her. (She lost her primary challenge from the Tea Party, if you recall, and still kept her seat as a write-in candidate.)

In general I'm not really in favor of primary challenges. Sometimes, sure, but they're largely being used to just get rid of (or at least attempt to get rid of) anyone who isn't on board with the loudest voices in the room (how many Republicans is MAGA trying to primary this year, for instance? I feel like it's in the dozens). Politics has just become far too polarizing with the extremes running wild.

Term limits would probably help this (and so many other things), but that's never going to happen. The Senate will magically vote 100-0 to keep that from changing.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Not sure there's enough people buying the "voter ID is racist" thing instead of just making it more transparent to anyone who didn't realize that already the Democrats use racism as a crutch whenever they want to pass something, and make them more annoyed at them for making it the number 1 priority instead of other issues. Maybe if CNN and MSNBC ratings weren't down 90% without Trump they would have helped find a way to explain how it makes sense when black people follow the exact same voting laws as white people. If they stepped away from the race card and played it as "We want every single person above 16 in the country to vote, the more participation the better!" type of thing, I think it would've been an easier message to sell.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:40 pm
Hold the door!

Breyer is retiring. Good move, since the Republicans have a very good chance to retake the senate this year and block any nominations in 2023-24

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

Obviously unlikely, but Harris to Supreme Court, and then getting a do-over on the VP/2024 Biden replacement (Buttigieg?) is an interesting idea.

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:03 pm
Superfreak

This idea that people hate her is a myth made up by Republicans terrified of what they perceive as formidable political future. Harris was an insanely effective fundraiser, aced her big speech and handily won the debate vs. Pence. Why would Biden replace her?

Also, of all the big issues out there, Biden MUST do something consequential about student loans. The backlash from his base if he fails to do this after 2 years of campaign promises will be severe. Climate and everything else is nice but it is clear there is a personal dynamic to student loans unlike the others.

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
This idea that people hate her is a myth made up by Republicans terrified of what they perceive as formidable political future. Harris was an insanely effective fundraiser, aced her big speech and handily won the debate vs. Pence. Why would Biden replace her?

I believe her approval rating is lower than Biden's and is coming off primary performance that was almost impossibly bad.

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Excel wrote:

I believe her approval rating is lower than Biden's and is coming off primary performance that was almost impossibly bad.

VP approval ratings are obviously not accurate for a variety of reasons and her primary performance doesn't change any of the points I made?

I am not a Kamala fan or hater, simply an observer here. She is the GOP's heir to Hillary in terms of preemptive strikes due to fear of her political future, seems very obvious.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 am
The Kramer

So we're just gonna have eight supreme court justices until a Republican wins the white house again?

But yeah, adding more justices to balance previous injustices is evil communism!!! #RepublicanLogic

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:01 am
The Kramer

I mean it makes total sense that the party who lost the white house and lost the senate and lost the house of representatives should still have control of everything. Exactly what you'd expect to see from a healthy democracy.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:10 am
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
So we're just gonna have eight supreme court justices until a Republican wins the white house again?

But yeah, adding more justices to balance previous injustices is evil communism!!! #RepublicanLogic

I don't think the Republicans can block this one with Democrats having 50 votes, Manchin and Sinema could block if it they wanted though.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:19 am
Hold the door!

Yeah they should have no problem replacing Breyer. Wouldn't shock me if Collins, Murkowski, Romney, etc. voted in favor as well.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:32 am
The Kramer

Why would Manchin suddenly play ball? He gains nothing by supporting whoever the pick is. Delaying the vote and making it all about himself will only increase his popularity with Republicans and thus increases his electibility when he officially switches his party next election cycle.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:37 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

"We didn't know exactly how bad it was until after it happened." - Pittsburg Fire Chief on the bridge collapse this morning in Pittsburg.

He basically just quoted the U.S. country motto for everything in recent years (if recent = multiple decades).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

Apparently here in my hometown, right-wing Nazi sympathizers posted Nazi flags? “Let’s Go Brandon” and “Vax all
Jews” from the highway bridge near where I live.

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:27 pm
The Dark Knight

How idiotic. Not only was Israel one of the first countries to launch mass vaccination, but Jews (outside of the Haredi) are also the most pro-vaccine religious group in the US and one of the most vaccinated. If conspiracy there was with the vaccine, it seems they've done everything backwards. But you unsurprisingly can't expect much intelligence and rationality from neo-Nazis.

Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am
The Kramer

The guys that hung those signs are gonna be so happy when Trump pardons them in 2025.

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:53 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's Florida. Pretty ideal location for neo-Nazis to thrive and survive right now. The state is becoming a chaotic survival of the fittest, sue your friends and neighbors if their opinion is different than yours, and shoot a stranger if you feel offended landscape.

There's even a don't ask, don't tell bill (the "Don't Say Gay" bill), and a "White Comfort" bill (putting a ban on white people who feel bad about racism) making their way through the legislature.

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

After saying its unfair to be tried by black prosecutors, Trump has asked to be returned to that beautiful, beautiful house "which just so happens to be white."

Dogwhistles appear to be gone for now and he is speaking directly to his base.

But Trump definitely is not a racist. That's just the media being unfair to him.

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:51 pm

I think Trump feels he has 2024 in the bag. He might be his own undoing again though.

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:43 am
Hold the door!

God I hope he does not run. He'd do better than in 2020 but I just don't see him flipping 3 states.

Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 am
Hold the door!

Whoopi is officially suspended haha.

Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

Giuliani being on the Masked Singer and two of of the judges Ken Jeong and Robin Thicke walking out when it got revealed is hilarious

Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:30 am

I would have too. Proud of them for have a backbone.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 4643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 186  Next