Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Christine O'Donnell 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Christine O'Donnell
El Murato wrote:
And how can she remain partial to stuff like gay marriage etc where you can push for an agenda to ban them

Finally, a LEGITIMATE criticism of O'Donnell!

As far as I can tell, she is indeed an opponent of gay marriage, and that is unfortunate. And, again unfortunately, marriage in general is within state purview, so we can expect her to be in position to support a federal ban through a constitutional amendment - which, fortunately, isn't likely.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Cream of the Crop

Mr. Magnus wrote:

No. But she should then just go ahead and say that. I think if she just quickly said, "Yes, I did that and yes it was wrong but I'm a completely different person now blah blah blah" this would die. But her refusal to really acknowledge it has made it an issue.

I'm pretty sure she's done that by now. Again - we're talking about things that happened twenty years ago.
Mr. Magnus wrote:
This is a media issue, but that's the consequences one receives when one relishes when the spotlight is put on them (though now O'Donnell after this has said she's not doing any national interviews anymore). You can't accept to go on all the national shows and then have them not attack you over stuff like this. You may hate how the media works, but that's how it works.

And I don't think rational people should let this influence their votes. But people aren't rational so it will.

I'm sorry, no. The media didn't bring up this issue in this thread, Groucho, you and El Murato did. So you can't blame this particular attack on the media.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Krem wrote:
Again, as an aside, I find this incredible that everyone criticizing O'Donnell here is doing so based on her religious beliefs and her views on personal sexuality. This is an incredibly bigoted way to attack someone, and it says a lot more about your lack of tolerance than about O'Donnell herself.

Attacking her religious belief? I think its more of attacking her hyprocrisy more so than anything. Since she is using her religious belief as her main platform and as she was using as a weapon to attack democrats over family values, I think its more than enough for her past shenigans to be dusted off from the archives

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:40 pm
Cream of the Crop

El Murato wrote:
Krem wrote:
Again, as an aside, I find this incredible that everyone criticizing O'Donnell here is doing so based on her religious beliefs and her views on personal sexuality. This is an incredibly bigoted way to attack someone, and it says a lot more about your lack of tolerance than about O'Donnell herself.

Attacking her religious belief? I think its more of attacking her hyprocrisy more so than anything. Since she is using her religious belief as her main platform and as she was using as a weapon to attack democrats over family values, I think its more than enough for her past shenigans to be dusted off from the archives

So again I will ask you the same question: can nobody ever change their position on anything?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Cream of the Crop

Mr. Magnus wrote:
I was only highlighting that why it is an issue, not that it should be.

Fair enough, but my points remains: it wasn't the media that brought this issue into this thread. What started of as a discussion on Republican's chances to gain a Senate seat in Delaware has become a discussion about O'Donnel's dirty laundry.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Krem wrote:
So again I will ask you the same question: can nobody ever change their position on anything?

Yes but she only changed her views after she already had her fun sort of like George W with his strict run in Texas with the drug laws. Its not quite similiar to how someone changes their view on the death penalty or gun control

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Mr. Magnus wrote:
El Murato wrote:
Krem wrote:

Yes but she only changed her views after she already had her fun sort of like George W with his strict run in Texas with the drug laws. Its not quite similiar to how someone changes their view on the death penalty or gun control

Eh...lots of people change their views after "experimenting" with something.

I have no problem with people changing views after an experience but would have issue with those condemning those that use to live the same life style as they once had

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:17 pm
Cream of the Crop

El Murato wrote:
Krem wrote:

Again, her views on sexuality are just her views - she has repeatedly said that she does not seek to make them laws. Do you go around condemning every former drug user who is now trying to stop people from using drugs?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

If someone has an idiotic way of thinking in their OWN life, why would I want that person telling other people what to do?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

El Murato wrote:
Krem wrote:

President Obama has not pushed for getting rid of the Controlled Substances Act. Somehow, I don't think that makes him a hypocrite (though I wish he would make such a push).

I am not from Delaware, but my understanding is that the main issues in the Coons/O'Donnell match-up is the size of government and the economy, not social issues.

Chris Coons allegedly described himself as a "bearded Marxist" while in college, which is, to me, more risible than anything O'Donnell said about witches.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42534.html

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:32 pm
Profile WWW

Krem wrote:
Again, her views on sexuality are just her views - she has repeatedly said that she does not seek to make them laws. Do you go around condemning every former drug user who is now trying to stop people from using drugs?

If the laws were harsh and gives the junkie the maximum sentence, yes I would be disturbed by the former junkie passing such a harsh law when he could at least symphasize that hes been there before

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:32 pm
Cream of the Crop

El Murato wrote:
Krem wrote:

If the laws were harsh and gives the junkie the maximum sentence, yes I would be disturbed by the former junkie passing such a harsh law when he could at least symphasize that hes been there before

Damn it, we are NOT talking about laws here. We're talking about personal choices. Is it that fucking hard to see the difference?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Krem wrote:
Damn it, we are NOT talking about laws here. We're talking about personal choices. Is it that fucking hard to see the difference?

You asked the question on the second sentence so I answered it. If she was so concern about personal choices, she wouldnt be making her campaign around personal choices that she made or of her opponent or democratic party by labeling them unamerican, muslim, anti-christian whatever you name it. Thats why this whole personal choice or past has come into play

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:54 pm
Cream of the Crop

El Murato wrote:
Krem wrote:

You asked the question on the second sentence so I answered it.

The question did not relate to laws; believe it or not, there are ways to discourage people from using drugs without making a legislative agenda around it. Likewise, when O'Donnell preached "purity", it was about advocacy, not about laws.
El Murato wrote:
If she was so concern about personal choices, she wouldnt be making her campaign around personal choices that she made or of her opponent or democratic party by labeling them unamerican, muslim, anti-christian whatever you name it. Thats why this whole personal choice or past has come into play

Except you did not bring up any of those issues, and chose instead to focus on her personal views on sexuality.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Extraordinary

Krem wrote:
I dunno, Mike. People have admitted to various things in the past, and got a free pass. I mean Obama admitted to using coke and that's kind of a non-issue.

And seriously, witchcraft? Doesn't like every college girl dabble in it at some point? And why would it even be an issue now?

None of these people got a pass from Limbaugh and Beck, that was my point.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I'm a staunch liberal... But I have to agree with Krem at this point.

I think that the left is working on overtime to destroy Christine O'Donnell because the idea right now because Democrats are working hard to stir up fear about the extremist Republicans in an effort to get all those 18 million first-time voters back to the polls. But a LOT of those people are not going to come back because of the enthusiasm gap. Sure, they passed Health Care reform, but at enormous compromises. When Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize, he absolutely scuttled Copenhagen in favor of sending 70,000 more troops back to a war that we are never, ever going to win.

That said, I really, really do not want Christine O'Donnell and her cronies to continue this trend of complete obstructionism. Obama's single biggest mistake was trying to live up to his mistake of ending bi-partisanship. The majority of Tea Partiers, who are nowhere nearly as big as the media would have us believe, will never, ever support a black president or the very concept of a truly liberal president holding office.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:57 am
Extraordinary

MovieDude wrote:
I'm a staunch liberal... But I have to agree with Krem at this point.

I think that the left is working on overtime to destroy Christine O'Donnell because the idea right now because Democrats are working hard to stir up fear about the extremist Republicans in an effort to get all those 18 million first-time voters back to the polls. But a LOT of those people are not going to come back because of the enthusiasm gap. Sure, they passed Health Care reform, but at enormous compromises. When Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize, he absolutely scuttled Copenhagen in favor of sending 70,000 more troops back to a war that we are never, ever going to win.

That said, I really, really do not want Christine O'Donnell and her cronies to continue this trend of complete obstructionism. Obama's single biggest mistake was trying to live up to his mistake of ending bi-partisanship. The majority of Tea Partiers, who are nowhere nearly as big as the media would have us believe, will never, ever support a black president or the very concept of a truly liberal president holding office.

Agreed.

As for the left working to make all Republicans look extreme -- well, yeah, that's politics. The GOP is doing the same thing in reverse, trying to tie every Democrat, no matter how moderate, with Nancy Pelosi.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dabbling in witchcraft would be irrelevant to her Christian supporters if done prior to her espoused conversion. It falls in line with the whole "sinner turned saint" angle that typically goes over quite well.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
It almost got me elected.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Argos wrote:
It almost got me elected.

You spelled "erected" wrong

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/2 ... 39131.html

oh my

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 pm
The Original

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/25/christine-odonnell-evolution-monkeys_n_739131.html

oh my

Best argument against evolution ever!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm
Extraordinary

Boy, that Christine O'Donnell wasn't kidding when she said she wasn't a master debator, was she?

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Ya, that debate was gold. I loved every second of it.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2