Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Qeustion 

Post Qeustion
How does the ordering of the articles on the main site front page go? I read that it is organized in terms of ratings, high to low I would presume. However that does not seem to consistently be the order, on my page at the moment I see a rating of 7 above a rating of like 19. Is this a temporary thing that occurs for the newest articles? They shoot to the top of the page for 24 hours or something?
And for that matter, what does the rating signify or reflect? Does a user rating an article 3 stars out of 5 directly grant the overall rating 3 points or something?

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:16 am
The Wall

Post Re: Qeustion
Rating 3/5 = 60/100 for the general rating of the article. The general rating of an article is like a weighted grade made out of user's grades and writer's grade or something like that. That was the answer I got when I asked.

Also it wouldn't make sense for articles to be sorted by grade instead by their time of posting.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

For now, the articles are sorted by day. So an article written on the 24th will always be ahead of an article on the 23rd, regardless of score. This restriction will go away in time, but is necessary now due to limitations in finding fresh content otherwise.

As for the score itself, as be.redy said, it's a combination of multiple factors. A score is generated based on grades users give it, number of views, number of grades, number of comments, etc. The single highest factor is the grades users give to the article. This algorithm will be tweaked over time.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for clearing that up, was just curious.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]