Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Favorite Films That (Likely) Wouldn't Get Made Today? 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Favorite Films That (Likely) Wouldn't Get Made Today?
I was re-watching Heathers for the first time in over 10-years, and all throughout I just kept thinking that, "no way would this get made today."

I still love the film (and love the musical, which could also have issues being made today), but with how society has shifted on bullying, sexual assault/unwanted advances, teen suicide, homosexuality, and school shootings since 1989, I can't see a situation where this film gets made today. It's a black comedy, of course, but even then, it has quite an abrasive tone. I was curious on how younger first time viewers viewed the movie, and most of the reactions I watched or read were overall uncomfortable and unaccepting. The school shooting issue, in particular, is much, much different today than in 1989, and would understandably leave a young person today very uncomfortable.

So, what are some of YOUR favorite films that (likely) wouldn't get made today? I'm sure we can come up with a list of common films to include here, but try listing your favorites instead of just naming films.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Favorite Films That (Likely) Wouldn't Get Made Today?
Peter Pan 1953, Indians are probably some of the most racist characters to be put to screen.

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:45 am
On autopilot for the summer

Wasn't Heathers a TV show recently, and Peter Pan is always adapted. Of course times and climate will change and different things will be updated but I don't see any issues with either of them.

This is a pretty interesting topic, I would think of it more just in the sense of genres. In the 80s you had a shit ton of Star Wars, Raiders, knockoffs that got a lot of greenlit that would never happen today. Same thing with a lot of Westerns because the demand is no longer there.

I think I'll just keep to something simple and say any Kevin Spacey movie. You couldn't make them movie with him, and yet they'd be instantly inferior without him in them. I definitely was thinking about that the other day when I recently saw LA confidential and Usual Suspects.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

While some version of it could get made, I always thought Mean Girls had to be one of the most quickly outdated movies ever technology wise, no texting (they're calling each other over landlines?), no social media or internet at all if I can remember, it was made right before the wave of everything changing for high school girls culture. By 2009 the movie probably is reworked let alone 2021.

I watched the movie Dave with Kevin Kline a few years ago and it was fascinating how much its style of movie has gone the way of the dodo, between the Hollywood schmaltzy style and score etc. and having a budget and some stars despite its genre, and it has a Capra-esque optimism when it comes to politics that's clearly dead now.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:55 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thegun wrote:
Wasn't Heathers a TV show recently

Yes, but it got delayed due to the Parkland shooting, and then cancelled shortly into its run after more school shootings (like in Santa Fe) in 2018.

Which is the point I was making with how common school shootings have become versus 1989, or heck, even just 5-years ago. I just checked, and there were 88 school shootings throughout the entire 1990s (1990-1999). Since then, there were 134 from 2010-2017, and if that wasn't alarming enough, it's up to 106 school shootings between 2018-2021 (2.5 shootings every month). Making a movie (or TV show) that features school shootings and bombing today, especially with dark (or any) humor involved, seems to be off the table for the foreseeable future.

Looking at this topic from a technological perspective is interesting too. How films made shortly before major tech booms (like smart phones or social media as Shack mentioned) would be much different if put into production a short period later.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

“School shooting” counts any time a gun goes off on school property. Many of these “school shootings” have no casualties.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am
Keeping it Light

I thought about this the other day, but I can't directly recall which films I had in mind again about this.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:45 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Same here. I am sure there are some favourites that will not be made today but most of them will possibly be modified (A LOT) to suit the current atmosphere.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 am
The Kramer

I dunno if it fits the question, but I'm 99% sure that the Lord of the Rings trilogy would have been split into two, possibly even three movies per book if they had released ten years later.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:36 pm
Superfreak

Rush Hour

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:19 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Excel wrote:
Rush Hour

Buddy detective comedies can still be made. They don't have to be cops.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:44 am
Angels & Demons

I was thinking about this the other day!

Maybe Back to the Future Franchise? It's 80's charm is just something inherently for that era and I can't think of anyone else as Marty McFly.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:54 am
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
“School shooting” counts any time a gun goes off on school property. Many of these “school shootings” have no casualties.

What a weird nitpick. :funny:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Excel wrote:
Rush Hour

Chris Tucker taking Jackie Chan to Chinatown and saying "Just like home aint it? See any of your cousins here?" :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 pm
Extraordinary

I would say The Searchers, it is one of my top 10 but no way would they make that today.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Excel wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Excel wrote:
Rush Hour

Chris Tucker taking Jackie Chan to Chinatown and saying "Just like home aint it? See any of your cousins here?" :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

And " Do....you....understand....the....words...coming....out of....my...mouth" :funny:

Yet they were great fun films and offended nobody.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 pm
Romosexual!

Blazing Saddles!!!

pretty much any 80's teen comedy/romantic comedy

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:39 am
The Kramer

Blazing Saddles would be a Very Serious film today. Prime oscar bait.

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:36 pm

Actually a Blazing Saddles remake by Tarantino (which will never happen) actually sounds like a great movie

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:35 am
Angels & Demons

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, for SO MANY reasons. Including but not limited to film rights, the depiction of characters, audience interest.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]