Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Dark Tower finally coming to theaters and the small screen 
Extraordinary

Post Dark Tower finally coming to theaters and the small screen
I have to say its about time
http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic ... -tv-series

Ron Howard is a good choice to direct the first film, not sure if he will finish. I like using the TV series to bridge the gap between the books and only put the most important things in the three movies. Now who will be Roland? I am sure they will try to get a big name maybe Hugh Jackman or Christian Bale, or perhaps even Matthew Fox.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Post Re: Dark Tower finally coming to theaters and the small screen
JJ Abrahms name was previously attached to it. Too bad it never came through

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 pm
Extraordinary

I think he was too busy with Star Trek and his other projects.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman (crack team who brought us The DaVinci Code) adapting a ridiculously complicated Stephen King series. This is gonna be a disaster. Especially for the later books when King goes off the deep end.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman (crack team who brought us The DaVinci Code) adapting a ridiculously complicated Stephen King series. This is gonna be a disaster. Especially for the later books when King goes off the deep end.

I actually like the later books. The ending is very non traditional and very ambitious.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I think he was too busy with Star Trek and his other projects.

He was too busy making believe he actually works.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:17 am
You must have big rats

I have only read the first book so far and judging by the fact that it apparently gets far more complicated as it goes along, I'm not so sure about this series working in a film. A cable TV series, though...yep.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:47 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Two things I hope for: First, Roland needs to be an older actor, someone at least in their 40's, like Thomas Jane. Second, Susannah and her multiple personalities need to be completely different and less annoying. All her other attributes can be the same.

Seth Rogan for Eddie.

Wizard and Glass was the best novel.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I have only read the first book so far and judging by the fact that it apparently gets far more complicated as it goes along, I'm not so sure about this series working in a film. A cable TV series, though...yep.

Well there will be a TV series as well. Not sure how they will handle that. I think it could work, I do think it is a great series.
Quote:
Two things I hope for: First, Roland needs to be an older actor, someone at least in their 40's, like Thomas Jane. Second, Susannah and her multiple personalities need to be completely different and less annoying. All her other attributes can be the same.

Seth Rogan for Eddie.

Wizard and Glass was the best novel.

Jane could work, but I would bet on Jackman since he is known star. Another actor I would consider is Viggo Mortenson he has the look for Roland. The big question who can play Flagg? Too bad James Sheridan is too old now to reprise the role. They need to come up with a good choice for that part.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mr. Magnus wrote:
This can only work as a TV series on HBO.

HBO won't do it right now with True Blood. I think it can work if done right. I guess we shall see.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What if people don't watch the series, will they be lost when the sequel comes out? What about overseas audiences, TV shows usually air much later than in North America...

Well, i've probably answered my own questions, the TV series will be an added layer of story but not mandatory to understand the movies.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:12 pm
Extraordinary

Nazgul9 wrote:
What if people don't watch the series, will they be lost when the sequel comes out? What about overseas audiences, TV shows usually air much later than in North America...

Well, i've probably answered my own questions, the TV series will be an added layer of story but not mandatory to understand the movies.

Yeah I think it will add layers to the overall story. So I think people could watch the movies and not see the tv series and understand what is going on.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Dark Tower finally coming to theaters and the small scre
'The Dark Tower' Staff Put On Hiatus As Filmmakers, Studio Address Budget Problems

I read this a few days ago but I thought people here will pick this story up. But I see no one reacted to this news...

Tue May 10, 2011 11:19 am
Profile WWW

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Mr. Magnus wrote:

HBO won't do it right now with True Blood. I think it can work if done right. I guess we shall see.

Game of Thrones disagrees with you

Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 am
Extraordinary

El Murato wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Mr. Magnus wrote:

Game of Thrones disagrees with you

Well when I said that I was including Game of Thrones since it was in production. HBO don't have the money to try three ambitious series simultaneously.

About the budget news, well this is nothing really hurtful yet. I think the movies will get made either at Universal or Warner Brothers. The series could make a huge amount of money so I don't know why Universal would turn it around, especially as they have done too great other than the last few months.

Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Maybe because Universal finally learned how to control budgets after years of being shitty in that department and they realized that despite the potential the whole thing is way too risky since the whole movie/tv mini series/movie approach would be tried out for the first time?

I don't see blockbuster potential in this series (I haven't read the books, they look intriguing, but I'm not sure this is mainstream blockbuster material based on the synopsis) and I think it's smart they're checking the numbers for whatever reason. Though looking at the scope of the whole series I also think HBO-style approach would be better suited.

But I'd like for some other cable channel to try and do what HBO did with True Blood and Game of Thrones most recently. Competition is a great thing. Otherwise fans of some book series will always be dependent on HBO to decide to properly adapt the books they like.

Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

be.redy wrote:
Maybe because Universal finally learned how to control budgets after years of being shitty in that department and they realized that despite the potential the whole thing is way too risky since the whole movie/tv mini series/movie approach would be tried out for the first time?

I don't see blockbuster potential in this series (I haven't read the books, they look intriguing, but I'm not sure this is mainstream blockbuster material based on the synopsis) and I think it's smart they're checking the numbers for whatever reason. Though looking at the scope of the whole series I also think HBO-style approach would be better suited.

But I'd like for some other cable channel to try and do what HBO did with True Blood and Game of Thrones most recently. Competition is a great thing. Otherwise fans of some book series will always be dependent on HBO to decide to properly adapt the books they like.

LOTR was a huge risk and it worked out. I think you have to take risks to make money. I think it will be a huge hit (I am thinking 400-800 WW). It just has huge potential. As for tv series not sure who would pick it up. Showtime don't seem to want to make the attempt. I guess TNT or TBS could do it.

Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Well when I said that I was including Game of Thrones since it was in production. HBO don't have the money to try three ambitious series simultaneously.

About the budget news, well this is nothing really hurtful yet. I think the movies will get made either at Universal or Warner Brothers. The series could make a huge amount of money so I don't know why Universal would turn it around, especially as they have done too great other than the last few months.

True Blood's budget is very cheap. I heard somewhere around 30 million per season. Game of Thrones(60 million) is actually cheaper to make than what HBO had in the past with Carnivale (60-80 million) and Deadwood(over 60 million) and especially Rome(100 million). Not to mention that HBO ran Carnivale and Deadwood in the same year. If not, Showtime should do Dark Tower. They really cant cram like 700 page book in one movie so Im glad its been postponed

Thu May 12, 2011 8:20 pm
Extraordinary

El Murato wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:

True Blood's budget is very cheap. I heard somewhere around 30 million per season. Game of Thrones(60 million) is actually cheaper to make than what HBO had in the past with Carnivale (60-80 million) and Deadwood(over 60 million) and especially Rome(100 million). Not to mention that HBO ran Carnivale and Deadwood in the same year. If not, Showtime should do Dark Tower. They really cant cram like 700 page book in one movie so Im glad its been postponed

The postponement isn't permanent. It will get made if not at Universal than at WB. Honestly, I loved the books but there is plenty they could cut out.

Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/univers ... im-budget/

Quote:
Universal Pictures has pushed this year's start date on the Ron Howard-directed adaptation of Stephen King's mammoth novel series Dark Tower until February, I'm told. It was supposed to start this summer. The studio will work with the filmmakers to reduce the budget on a series that will include three feature films and two limited-run TV series.

Fri May 13, 2011 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23 ... ies-movies

Thank God! Love Prime for their choice in properties (Dark Tower, Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time) but I’m hoping the new Dark Tower series is more like their Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power show and less like the Wheel of Time series.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:16 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I love reading the history of expected and now defunct adaptations on this thread.

Agreed - while I haven't seen LOTR Rings of Power - WoT was underwhelming (though I thought it started OK). This really needs to aim for HotD/HBO type quality.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:47 pm
Veteran

What I liked about Rings of Power is that it has a record budget for a TV show and you can see it on-screen. Even on the television there is a grand, expansive, big-budget feel to the show. It was very well done IMO. I hope Bezos makes similar investments in Dark Tower since the property is up there with GOT and LOTR in terms of story.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:31 am
On autopilot for the summer

Bezos stepped down from Amazon over a year ago, and his involvement with Prime Video was never big to begin with.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]