Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie- poll for next up! 
The Wall

Post Re: Indie Movie Club- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
I thought it was hilariously funny how those bourgeoisie couples just keep trying to go on with their banal dinner/lunch, but they just never seem to be able to do it proper, and they can't even get it right in their dreams because they're so frustrated that some complete mess happens in them too.

The whole movie isn't laugh out loud funny - that's true, but I find that it's totally aimed at a completely usual people to give them some sort of relief of how actually pointless all that glamor and shit are, and that relief gives them quiet fun. We all probably want to be all rich and fancy with dinners and stylish guests, but he entertains us by showing that under the surface they crack a lot too.

I wasn't bothered by the whole movie staying flat (and actually being pretty repetitive) - I though it fit well with the theme.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Sorry I have been away all week! :(

I will reply to everyone's comments within the next couple of days.

But for those of you who have not yet seen it/replied...there's still time!! Hope you get a chance to and I'd love to hear from more people :)

Best Actress 2008

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

*spoilers warning*

That was unexpected. Prior to watching The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, I was under the impression it was light because it was most often labelled satyric (ex: the back of the DVD box). What I found didn't seem satyric as much as it felt darkly violent with, well, a bit of charm. The group seemed to genuinely enjoy eachother, but had repressed enough dark secrets that they lived in fear of violence. For the most part, this fear was male-driven, as the women neither have violent dreams throughout, nor do they do anything particularly illegal except for sleep around, drink (and get drunk to the point of illness), and try to be good hostesses.

I found the STD discussion and the pot-smoking scenes to be refreshingly honest, and the drug-trafficing at the foundation of the movie to be almost comical. Still, 'Miranda' is at the seat of the gentlemens' fears so it has to be taken seriously. It is violent, and the ambassador is despicable. And yet, they go about their day trying to be good hosts, role with the punches (the invite wasn't for today? Ok, lets try a restaurant. What's wrong with a dead restaurant owner? No tea? No coffee? No milk? Ok, how about water?). I found myself thinking they were kind of endearing. They weren't mean. They entertained the entire army, and invited the bitter, murderous soldier to sit at their table.

They women pretty much come across as shallow, but open, friendly, sexed (yay, I love the French), and the men come across as all the above just really, really, really illegal. Their illegality is what makes the movie uncomfortable to watch. It leads to their bloodly nightmares in which culminate in the death of everyone involved (literally, all six of them are killed by the final dream). The contrast between comical circumstance and violent episodes (dream, story, or reality) serves to foil the desire for fine dining and the desire to repress everything else. It was unsettling, and ultimately characterized the movie not at satire but rather as disturbing, epid drama. Coupled with the side-plot about the priest, I was truly depressed by the end of this film, and the surrealistic 'walking down the road' felt like a visual equivalent of suicide.

Eh. More thoughts to come later, because I have avoided reading this thread until I watched the movie, so I still need to go back and see what everyone else thought.

On a technical level I thought it was superb. Very even timing, and a semi-matte (can use that as a description) finish make this feel like the everyday experience of the not-quite-landed elite. I have to sleep on the rest of it. I do recommend people take a peak at this film, though, especially if they ar einterested in seeing how a director uses contrast to heighten emotional effect.

Thanks for finally getting me to watch this Rod.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:02 am
Extra on the Ordinary

yay! :)

For the time being, I will add a poll for the next film in this thread since the other one is kinda jacked up. :S

I will take the last two options from last time along with suggestions from posters (er, dr. lecter). i will also add one of my own "The Aura" from the director of "Nine Queens" hoping that the thriller aspects of the film might draw in a few people that might nor normally frequent this part of the forums ;)

vote away (perhaps check to see if the film is available in your area before you vote this time around ;))!! and then get all caught up by seeing discreet charm.

Best Actress 2008

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie- poll for next up!
New poll??

Hold up. I still gotta watch this Discreet Charm!!! It arrived today. If I procrastinate tomorrow, I mayyyyyy watch it. But, really, I can't afford to procrastinate. I've got one hell of a paper due very very soon and it involves mass amounts of reading, interviewing, transcribing, and analysis, none of which I have started. :(

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:59 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

I had problems creating the poll in the main thread, and i didn't want to start a new thread altogether for choosing the new movie so i started the new poll here.

But there's still plenty of time to catch Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie!! I probably won't start the thread for the new film until Monday...I just wanted to let the poll run for a few days :)

Bottom line, if you haven't seen it already...it's not too late!

Best Actress 2008

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

I voted for Sophie Scholl as it's the only one i can easily get my hands on. So you should all vote for that one now :unsure:

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:09 pm
You must have big rats

I voted After the Wedding since I still haven't seen it. Sophie Scholl would be fine by me too, though.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Rod, I think you should PM some olks that participated in the first round ;) Need more votes

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

So, I finally finished watching it.

Uh, yeah...... :P

This was a bizarre film. Very interesting and I have to admit, engaging but bizarre. Apparently, the director really like Dali?

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:15 am
Extra on the Ordinary

Raffiki wrote:
So, I finally finished watching it.

Uh, yeah...... :P

This was a bizarre film. Very interesting and I have to admit, engaging but bizarre. Apparently, the director really like Dali?

They seemed to have influenced each other quite a bit, yes.

Both became good friends after they met while attending the same school in Madrid. He also co-wrote Un Chien Andalou and L'Age D'Or with Bunuel. They did differ in their religious views though ;)

For anyone who can get their hands on Los Olvidados, by the way, I really recommend watching that. It would have been my top pick if it were easily available everywhere!

Best Actress 2008

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2