Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Rocket Science... is thankfully NOT rocket science! 
Extraordinary

Post Rocket Science... is thankfully NOT rocket science!
Rocket Science is in fact, the latest in the seemingly thriving sub-genre of NERD-COM (q.v.: Napoleon Dynamite, Bubble Boy, etc.)

It is a fine example of the species, though taxonomists should note that it displays a strong hybrid streak of it's ROM parentage. Some might go as far as to call it a NERD-ROM-COM, though I certainly wouldn't. This is actually a surprisingly early remake of another, far inferior, indie movie from earlier this year, called Once. That was what might charitably be referred to as a NERD-ROM, but fortunately this director gets it right. This is how to show the tragedy of a real-life romance! Who needs the frickin' Frames, when ya got the Battle Hymn of the Republic?

The guy, the lead nerd, was great! I knew/know guys just like that, and I bet most of you did/do too. The screenplay was really sharp and really funny - - how rare is that these days? After this and the director's rookie film, the super doc Spellbound - - I can't wait to see where Jeffery Blitz's career takes him!!!

8 out of 5.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 am
Where will you be?

Post Re: Rocket Science... is thankfully NOT rocket science!
You hit the nail on the head with this one bradley. The great thing to me about Rocket Science is that it's the rare film about failure, and about what we learn from that. Also, it never goes in the direction you think it will, and is blessed with great talent by said Jeffery Blitz and the ensemble cast. It's really a shame that this coming of age tale was released right as Superbad was, it's like having a Scrabble party across the street from a kegger. Hopefully it'll find it's audience over time.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:24 am
Where will you be?

Post Re: Rocket Science... is thankfully NOT rocket science!
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
This is actually a surprisingly early remake of another, far inferior, indie movie from earlier this year, called Once. That was what might charitably be referred to as a NERD-ROM, but fortunately this director gets it right. This is how to show the tragedy of a real-life romance! Who needs the frickin' Frames, when ya got the Battle Hymn of the Republic?

Y'know last night I didn't buy your suggestion that this was so similar to Once. Then I thought about it a little bit more and realized you're right in that both films have their lead actors give a musical instrument to the girl to show their true feelings - and man did Rocket Science blow Once out of the water there!

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]