Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Forum downtime (Update) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime / WOKJ donations
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Theory will only get you so far.

Is that a wrestling reference I’m too far behind to get?

Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:41 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Theory will only get you so far.

Is that a wrestling reference I’m too far behind to get?
Go see Oppenheimer bro.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime / WOKJ donations (Speed issues)
Thought yesterday was pretty good but there is some issues again today, will try a few other routes and then if not resolved by the end of August we can look into paying someone for a tune up.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:17 pm
now we know

Something's off with the site. Forums and threads take much longer to load then normal. It used to be instantaneous, now it takes about 20 seconds to load a page.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
Something's off with the site. Forums and threads take much longer to load then normal. It used to be instantaneous, now it takes about 20 seconds to load a page.

I feel like sometimes it’s fast then at other times it has issues for a few minutes

My first plan didn’t work which was to see how it ran without cPanel which we only sign up a week or two for every few months. However now to try other plans I need cPanel back which I’m waiting until the end of August for to only pay for a week, to save some in case the possibility that we might have to hire someone on top of that.

Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 am
Devil's Advocate

This week came at what was already a high strung point in my life and is driving me a little crazy, the feeling that there's just enough off that something must be wrong, but just little enough difference that half of it could be in your head. I thought I fixed the problem after getting our server guys to disconnect wire and plug it back in and wrote a post here congratulating myself, but then after a few more slow loads I convinced myself nothing was fixed and deleted it. The main site takes the exact same amount of time to load every try while the forum is inconsistent, which concerns me because it could suggest the actual forum php has something wrong with it and not just the connection, which is probably the result I find least appealing. Or was the forum always more inconsistent loading? Not sure. I'm still not convinced I didn't fix it with that wire issue, but I guess it'll take a day or two to feel confident about it one way or the other.

Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

This is the third year in a row that there's been issues around this same time of year (beginning of August) before a crash, right? This thread was posted almost exactly a year ago, and in that post you mentioned it being almost exactly a year since that.

Whatever it is... I would assume it's something that needs updated or fixed at this time ever year.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The first two weren't coincidence as we had a certificate that expired after exactly one year, this one probably is though.

On some level I wonder if it's better if a crash happens, if it's true this is the same early warning signs as a few years ago, then we can hire the same guy (and it will be much faster and cheaper this time due to doing this before). Just another reason to wait until end of August or so.

Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime/ WOKJ donations (Speed issues, ETA late A
The most recent downtime was an attempted repair process. Let's see if it sticks.

Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime/ WOKJ donations (Repair periods at night)
There was a crash in August to the biggest table, maybe related to an update (I *think* the options for creating polls have slightly changed? I noticed changing the name of polls doesn't reset it anymore). When I run the repair table function it takes a bit under 2 hours. I've been doing that once a day usually at night to avoid too much forum downtime, but since we need to deal with it by Sept 1st, on Monday I will be running the repair most of the day to see if I can wrap up the problem. Even though you can't tell by the forum performance anymore there was problems, I can tell in other ways that it's not fully repaired yet.

Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime/ WOKJ donations
We’re going to be having a little downtime in the mornings as it does automatic repairs when the day starts, I’ll see if I can change it to a few hours earlier

Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:02 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime/ WOKJ donations
I got a little bit scared today, but we survive for now

Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime/ WOKJ donations (Morning downages)
Seems like it might be down in the morning every few days for a little while.

Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:44 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I had a long downtime today (morning and afternoon, maybe part of the evening, not sure).

Have you considered looking into setting up another forum? If it's the same price (maybe it could be cheaper?), and doesn't require skill not had, it might be time. Might be best to look into it now (if it's an option of course) so the transition can go smoothly and posters don't get lost in a potential move.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Are we out of the woods yet?

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

The downtime was mostly intentional, trying to fix how the forum had been going down a few hours every morning, I did not succeed yet however I tried changing the server time to Hawaii time so if it works it might go down just in the middle of the night. The international posters would notice it more, but I think they were already in the habit of only coming here when North Americans are awake.

Corpse wrote:
I had a long downtime today (morning and afternoon, maybe part of the evening, not sure).

Have you considered looking into setting up another forum? If it's the same price (maybe it could be cheaper?), and doesn't require skill not had, it might be time. Might be best to look into it now (if it's an option of course) so the transition can go smoothly and posters don't get lost in a potential move.

Having to create a Worldofkj 2 is becoming a possibility, the issues the last few months are somewhat difficult to figure out and my theory is the age of the forum may finally be catching up in the sense that php has multiple versions ahead of us that I don’t think we can update to.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime
There may be some speed issues and downages again

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Forum downtime
Taylor crashed the site.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime (Speed issues)
I will take it down again this afternoon and then hopefully after that the speed issues are fixed

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime (Downtime update)
The forum was down today on purpose to try to repair a crash, I think some progress was made but unfortunately the job isn't done quite yet, I'll try to leave it up for a few days at least even it gets slow or just let it repair 2 hours at a day when people aren't here

Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:52 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Forum downtime (Update)
I tried deleting the cookies so if by any chance someone forgot their password, you can email the link on page 1

Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 am
Devil's Advocate

Ok, it looks like we're in better shape

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am
Veteran

Thanks Shack!

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

The problem isn’t fixed yet but I managed to do something to make repairs 5x faster. So it should come eventually

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2