Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Best Picture to have 10 set nominees 
Devil's Advocate

Post Best Picture to have 10 set nominees
They also said some unspecific things about improving diversity as you might expect https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/ ... es-1298089

I think compared to 2016 the outrage mob just be in a “give people awards cause they’re black” mindset this year (not realizing that in fact is racist and demeaning). Spike Lee for Best Director for Da 5 Bloods? And can black people go 4/4 in the acting categories? (as I tried to joke in the other thread)

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:47 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Best Picture to have 10 set nominees
Spike might actually deserve best director this year. Da 5 Bloods has a budget of "$30-40m" and looks as good as any big budget blockbuster about war.

I don't like ten nominees though. Eight is the perfect number, but I also liked the uncertainly, the fact that you had to cross a voting threshold beyond being more popular than whatever is ranked at #11.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah the uncertainty was better but I guess it didn't sit well with a lot of fans of popular movies

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

They did it for diversity reasons. Some movies like Straight Outta Compton and Beale Street might have gotten in with 10 for example.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:12 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah read that again and it looks like this is to add more "black" movies. Agreed that Academy is just going racist route here.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:51 pm
100% That Bitch

not the way to go.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:46 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Lol they should've never changed it to more than 5. It's obvious each year which are the 'lucky to be here' ones. It has hugely devalued the prestige of receiving a Best Picture nomination.

The original reason was for ratings purposes after The Dark Knight and Wall-E got snubbed, but ratings have tanked anyway since no one watches TV anymore and they refuse to stream it live via Netflix.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm
Veteran

Shack wrote:
They did it for diversity reasons. Some movies like Straight Outta Compton and Beale Street might have gotten in with 10 for example.

False. The Dark Knight snub was the catalyst to expanding the pool.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

The inclusion standards https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... st-picture

Quote:
Those standards require one of the following: at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group; at least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from certain underrepresented groups; or the main storyline, theme or narrative is centered on an underrepresented group.

It's not supposed to kick in until 2024 so they have plenty of time to back out

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

They could have not been more subtle than this.

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mixed on this. I obviously understand wanting to include underrepresented groups, and am in full support of that, but this is also constricting an art form. Period films, historical films, and films with a setting in a particular country/region are going to really suffer from this, right?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

#OscarsSoBlack

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 pm
"MICHAEL SCOTT: What are you?

SADIQ: Well, if you’re gonna reduce my identity to my religion, then I’m Sikh. But I also like hip-hop and NPR. And I’m restoring a 1967 corvette in my spare time.

MICHAEL SCOTT: Okay. So one Sikh, and…"

I guess Michael Scott wasn't a fool to laugh at, but a woke genius ahead of his time. Who knew!

Seriously, though, reducing everyone to a special category then counting up how many of each appear in X movie to ensure fairness seems like a horrible idea ripe for failure. What would someone like me count as, I wonder? I'm gay and people often assume I'm "white" but my absentee dad was actually an off-the-boat immigrant who didn't have white skin (more olive/Mediterranean) from what's now known as Slovenia/Croatia/Bosnia/etc so who decides what I count as? Me? Some committee with my photo? Will there be a partnership with ancestry.com to sufficiently determine who counts as how much of what?

Well, at least I already thought award ceremonies were a joke so I'm not exactly broken up by any of this :mer:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:53 am
Cream of the Crop

I wonder what year it will be when they will finally realize that countering one silly thing with the opposite silly thing doesn't result in a balance, but in two silly things.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

So basically any films put out by major studios including their arthouse imprints would qualify under these rules, regardless of the diversity in the cast or behind the camera.

Films that are independently distributed may need to pay more attention to these criteria.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:02 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

lilmac wrote:
Shack wrote:

Agreed. What's hilarious about that is that The Dark Knight has not aged that well and doesn't seem like a BP contender type film in retrospect, and Chris Nolan ended up getting there fair and square with Dunkirk, a film which had a BP nomination no one questioned and would've 100% made it in a Top 5 category.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm
Defeats all expectations

Barrabás wrote:
lilmac wrote:
Shack wrote:

Agreed. What's hilarious about that is that The Dark Knight has not aged that well and doesn't seem like a BP contender type film in retrospect, and Chris Nolan ended up getting there fair and square with Dunkirk, a film which had a BP nomination no one questioned and would've 100% made it in a Top 5 category.

:er:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:40 pm
The Kramer

Barrabás wrote:
lilmac wrote:
Shack wrote:

The Reader, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon and Milk have aged better? What are you talking about?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]