Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Could Shore Win His Third Oscar Within 4 Years? 
The French Dutch Boy

Post Could Shore Win His Third Oscar Within 4 Years?
Best Original Score:

2001 -- 74th Academy Awards -- Howard Shore - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
2003 -- 76th Academy Awards -- Howard Shore - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
??? 2004 -- 77th Academy Awards -- Howard Shore - THE AVIATOR ???

Is it possible that Howard Shore could win his third Oscars in just a 4 year period at the Oscars? He won at the BFCA for Best Composer and has gotten attention elsewhere, I believe. His score is also part of the Aviator, a film that is arguably the front runner for many awards including Best Picture.

I think The Aviator shows how great Howard Shore really is, and I'm glad he is getting some great exposure.

So, what do you think? Is Shore automatically cut out of contention simply because he's won twice so soon before?

PEACE, Mike ;)

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:52 pm
Extraordinary

He can certainly win 3 out of 4 years. John Williams won a bunch in the 70 and 80's. But it does put him at a disadvantage, especially if Million Dollar Baby is nominated.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

The Aviator's score may be disqualified from contention:

from http://www.forums-oscarwatch.com/forums ... adid=21982

Quote:
Now I don't want to start any untrue rumors, however, Film Score Monthly, a reputable film music publication based in Los Angeles, responded recently to a few people Best Score predictions. Many predicted Shore's Aviator. The responder from the magazine states:

Hate to disappoint you, but The Aviator score won't be nominated. The AMPAS Music Branch rules exclude scores "diluted by the use of tracked or pre-existing music" and/or "diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs," so Aviator was disqualified because, terrific as it is, the Shore score is only a minority of the prominent music in the film.

This would be disappointing for The Aviator if it truly was. This company was also one of the first to announce his Two Towers score as disqualified too, and it was.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

The Aviator's score may be disqualified from contention:

from http://www.forums-oscarwatch.com/forums ... adid=21982

Quote:
Now I don't want to start any untrue rumors, however, Film Score Monthly, a reputable film music publication based in Los Angeles, responded recently to a few people Best Score predictions. Many predicted Shore's Aviator. The responder from the magazine states:

Hate to disappoint you, but The Aviator score won't be nominated. The AMPAS Music Branch rules exclude scores "diluted by the use of tracked or pre-existing music" and/or "diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs," so Aviator was disqualified because, terrific as it is, the Shore score is only a minority of the prominent music in the film.

This would be disappointing for The Aviator if it truly was. This company was also one of the first to announce his Two Towers score as disqualified too, and it was.

As far as I know, The Two Towers was not disqualified. The music branch had said that they will accept The Two Towers but then they will disqualify ROTK, the final score, because it would be unfair to have three scores of the same story (they assumed the scores would be too similar and thus shouldn't be allowed in contention). To be fair, they said they would accept TTT and disqualify ROTK. The Two Towers then didn't end up being nominated simply because there were other, better scores to be nominated (it was a fantastic year for scores that year). Then ROTK was SUPPOSED to be out of contention in the final year (pre-disqualified way before) but then it was changed back in contention as the Oscars neared because the Academy realized how good the score was, how much of an impact ROTK is having in this category and all other categories, or whatever reason they actually put.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that's how it went. Anyways, here's hoping The Aviator will not be disqualified. *crosses fingers*

PEACE, Mike ;)

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]