Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NY Film Critics' Awards predictions 
Veteran

Post NY Film Critics' Awards predictions
The New York Film Critics' Awards will be announced on Monday, December 13th. Sometimes they don't affect the Oscar race such as last year when Hope Davis won best actress and Eugene Levy won best supporting actor. But they can boost a film or performer's chances greatly such as when Diane Lane won a couple of years ago for Unfaithful.

Here are my predictions:

Picture: Kinsey
Alternate: Sideways

Director: Alexander Payne for Sideways
Alternate: Martin Scorcese for The Aviator

Actor: Liam Neeson for Kinsey
Alternate: Paul Giamatti for Sideways

Actress: Imelda Staunton for Vera Drake
Alternate: Kate Winslett for Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Supporting Actor: Peter Saarsgard for Kinsey
Alternate: Thomas Hayden Church for Sideways

Supporting Actress: Virginia Madsen for Sideways
Alternate: Cate Blanchett for The Aviator

Screenplay: Sideways
Alternate: Vera Drake

Animated Film: The Incredibles
Alternate: The Polar Express

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

NYFCA can always give some clues. Last year, nobody was expecting Return of the King to win NYFCA since they usually tried to push for smaller films, so when it did, it's obvious ROTK will win Best Picture no matter what.

On that note, I don't expect them to go for The Aviator or Million Dollar Baby for Best Picture, but if one of them does, it'll further establish it as the frontrunner. If Kinsey doesn't win, its already slim chance for Oscar becomes none. As for my prediction, I think Sideways will prevail.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

After I re-read my predictions I realized I've predicted Kinsey for three awards which seems a little excessive. Oh, well, I'll leave it....

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

I think its' between these three films: Sideways, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Million Dollar Baby.

Best Actress 2008

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I'm just doing picture.

I think its' between these three films: Sideways, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Million Dollar Baby.

I actually think Eternal Sunshine has a good chance at picture or screenplay, but I'll be really surprised if Million Dollar Baby takes it.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I think Eternal Sunshine desperately needs at least one of these next few awards in the coming week just to still be in the race...

I don't think it will get Best Picture for this one though... and I think Million Dollar Baby can, which will really solidify its way upward ascention to Oscar.

Most probably sideways will win.

I still don't get all the fuss over Kinsey. It was not an exceptionally amazing movie and Liam Nesson wasn't an extraordinary revelation.
I don't even think Laura Linney was anything other than above average.
Peter Saarsgard is probably the most deserving of a nod against his competition compared to the others in the movie and their competition (granted supporting actor cateofry is wide open just about). Not to deprive Linney or Nesson of acclaim.... they were really terrific, but I never thought for a second Kinsey was among the best of the best of the year and the performances as well (of course this is after seeing the film, i'm not talking out of my ass :wink: )

I do think Linney and Saarsgard will get nominated and Nesson might slip in solely on buzz if it doesn't die down. I'm thinking that Clint might take Nesson's spot, but Nesson seems to be almost as much a favorite as Clint for acting.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]