Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Aviator: Does anybody think... 
Lord of filth

Post The Aviator: Does anybody think...
...that any other picture other than The Aviator can possibily win this year (in Picture or Director), even at this early date?

If so, tell us why.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

l'm begining to think Aviator isnt gonna win...

maybe Million Dollar Baby...(just a feeling l've had for quite a while now...)

not really sure...and l rarely have solid reasoning for anything l say...soo...lets just say l think it'll be upset... :oops:

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:41 am
Extraordinary

If its even mildly passable, Aviator will get it. It looks excellent, I'm going opening day for sure.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:56 am
Extraordinary

I do think it's coming down to The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby, especially if the actings for the latter are as good as the buzz says. Clint Eastwood has the sympathy from last year, and he is doing everything in this movie, so I can definitely see a Picture/Director split between the two.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:20 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

To be honest, no I on't think so. f I had to name one that has the best chance to win against The Aviator, I'd say Hotel Rwanda.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't know how much this changes things but I guess Aviator has been moved from December 17 to December 25, opening on a Saturday!

If you ask me, that is a horribke move on part of Box-office... potentially losing around $30-40 million. But I don't know if it plays any differently towards the awards race!

I don't think anything else will win.... no other movie is even close to its buzz and profile right now.... I'd only say Phantom might get there with buzz and profile, but there are enormous doubts on even its nomination, so I wouldn't bet anything on it.

Tghere might be better movies quality-wise, but they won't have as high a profile....

So, if any movie will take it down, that film's buzz must start immediately and keep building until January/February.

If I would have to name a film, it would be Million Dollar Baby.... but at this point.... no, there isn't a film to rvial it.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:09 pm
Hot Fuss

I hope the Aviator wins best picture myself.... and I don't know about other contenders enough, sadly. I kinda hope Phantom has a chance, but I know, unlikely....

Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

The things is...if it weren't a Scorcese film it'd have almost no chance of wining, and even being nominated might be a struggle.

So it depends on that, do they want to give it best picture to reward Scorcese, or go with something else?

I don't think it's a lock at all.

Best Actress 2008

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

So, if any movie will take it down, that film's buzz must start immediately and keep building until January/February.
l think that's exactly what's gonna happen with Million Dollar Baby.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:06 pm
Extraordinary

Well Gangs of New York was a royal mess and it got nominated, so this will probaly get nominated. I don't think it'll get a win though... Director maybe, that's it.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:42 pm
Extraordinary

The things is...if it weren't a Scorcese film it'd have almost no chance of wining, and even being nominated might be a struggle.

So it depends on that, do they want to give it best picture to reward Scorcese, or go with something else?

The buzz has been very good. Even if it wasn't directed by Scorsese, I'm sure it will be nominated as well. Scorsese only gives it a frontrunner status very early on, as Gangs of New York got, but by all accounts, the movie is great and much more universally liked than GONY.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Rod wrote:

The buzz has been very good. Even if it wasn't directed by Scorsese, I'm sure it will be nominated as well. Scorsese only gives it a frontrunner status very early on, as Gangs of New York got, but by all accounts, the movie is great and much more universally liked than GONY.

Yes, but still (I obviously haven't seen the movie so I can't be sure)..it looks good like Catch Me if You Can was good, the kind of great movie the academy doesn't really go for. Hm...

Best Actress 2008

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I think it has more drama than Catch me if you can did which was just a lighthearte flick in the end.

By the way, The Aviator stands at 86% at RT right now.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aviator/

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:
Rod wrote:

Yes, but still (I obviously haven't seen the movie so I can't be sure)..it looks good like Catch Me if You Can was good, the kind of great movie the academy doesn't really go for. Hm...

True, but Catch Me if You Can felt light at heart to many people though. It's just a very-well made fun movie like Ocean's 11. The Aviator, on the other hand, seems to have weight in it and could be regarded as an epic. That's probably because it's Scorsese instead of Spielberg, so in that sense, I agree his name definitely has an effect on people's perception about the nature of the movie.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hotel_rwanda/

The Sea Inside at 73%:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sea_inside/

The Woodsman at 78%:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/woodsman/

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Fresh: 6 Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 7.3/10

The Phantom of the Opera - 83%
Fresh: 5 Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 7.1/10

As long as The Aviator has rave reviews such as these, it will maintain its frontrunner status:

"Scorsese has crafted a rip-roaringly gorgeous-looking, beautifully acted biographical epic that is certain to garner Oscar nominations across the board."
-- Michael Rechtshaffen, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

"An enormously entertaining slice of biographical drama."
-- Todd McCarthy, VARIETY

"This is Scorsese at his most breathtaking and cinema at its best."
-- Joshua Tyler, CINEMABLEND.COM

"Fantastic! DiCaprio channels Hughes. Scorsese finally breathes life into his muse. "
-- Victoria Alexander, FILMSINREVIEW.COM

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:09 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The Phantom of the Opera only has like 2-3 real reviews so far. Others are some DVD reviews of other versions that wrongfully got there. I wouldn't take them into account. :)

Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

See what I mean...entertaining...fun, gorgeous-looking, those are words that keep coming up again and again.

And it doesn't tell the whole story. Looking at The Hollywood Reporter's review you'd think it thinks the world of it. Yet take a look at another excerpt from the review"

"Scorsese has crafted a rip-roaringly gorgeous-looking, beautifully acted biographical epic. But while firing on all cylinders, there's something oddly distancing about the picture."

Best Actress 2008

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]