Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 National Board Of Review - Finding Neverland Best Picture 
Commander and Chef

:thebird:

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Your arguments are overwhelming :lol: :wink:

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

bABA, you are usually not a moron, so I would have you explain what you thought was wrong about that speech, since you were the one who fired the first shot against it.

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

The example tarentino was trying to set was good, what was wrong with it was his choice of superhero he chose. Seemed like he hadnt done his homework.

When superman wakes up in the morning, hes Clark Kent. Superman is the costume is dawns, not the suit. A litle analysis into his Clark's thinking tells you that. His want has always been to be a normal person but he chooses to live as superman only because he knows he has the power to help. In DC, hes ironically considered the most human of them all. If you see some of his comics or even cartoons (try Justice league unlited season 3 episode 2), you see that his desires are no more to lead a normal life.

Compare that to a character (and sorry, I don't mean to be a fanboy here, but its the most evident example) like batman. Bruce Wayne is actually the alter ego, not batman. When Brucee wakes up in the morning, hes batman, when he talks to himself, hes batman. If anyone has seen TAS, you notice that bruce wayne's suits, lavish style, even the voice is fake. yet when hes alone or talking to someone who knows hes batman does he speak with a normal life. In his head, he doesn't call himself bruce.

So really, his point has merit .. my issue was just with a completely wrong analysis of Superman.

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

USUALLY NOT A MORON!?!?!?!?!?

Okay, just sometimes you are not.

;)

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I get the hint.

The example tarentino was trying to set was good, what was wrong with it was his choice of superhero he chose. Seemed like he hadnt done his homework.

When superman wakes up in the morning, hes Clark Kent. Superman is the costume is dawns, not the suit. A litle analysis into his Clark's thinking tells you that. His want has always been to be a normal person but he chooses to live as superman only because he knows he has the power to help. In DC, hes ironically considered the most human of them all. If you see some of his comics or even cartoons (try Justice league unlited season 3 episode 2), you see that his desires are no more to lead a normal life.

Compare that to a character (and sorry, I don't mean to be a fanboy here, but its the most evident example) like batman. Bruce Wayne is actually the alter ego, not batman. When Brucee wakes up in the morning, hes batman, when he talks to himself, hes batman. If anyone has seen TAS, you notice that bruce wayne's suits, lavish style, even the voice is fake. yet when hes alone or talking to someone who knows hes batman does he speak with a normal life. In his head, he doesn't call himself bruce.

So really, his point has merit .. my issue was just with a completely wrong analysis of Superman.

O am not a huge Superman/Batman fan, so you might be right here, I can't really tell. However, you must be agreeing with what I said above that the speech, the content of it was good, just the choice of the superhero was not well-made. I doubt that it really mattered what superhero was picked, though. What mattered was the speech's content that it tried to convey and succeeded.

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Top 10 List
1. Kinsey
2. Closer
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Sideways
5. The Aviator
6. The Phantom of the Opera
7. Hotel Rwanda
8. Finding Neverland
9. Vera Drake
10. Garden State

Best Foreign Films
1. The Motorcycle Diaries
2. The Sea Inside
3. Bad Education
4. Maria Full of Grace
5. House of Flying Daggers

Best Director
Mike Nichols (Closer)

Best Actor
Liam Neeson (Kinsey)

Best Actress
Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Finding Neverland)

Best Supporting Actor
Peter Sarsgaard (Garden State and Kinsey)

Best Supporting Actress
Natalie Portman (Closer and Garden State)

Best Ensemble
Closer

Breakthrough Actor
Jamie Foxx (Ray and Collateral)

Breakthrough Actress
Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)

Best Directorial Debut
Zach Braff, Garden State

Best Original Screenpaly
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

BestAdapted Screenplay
Sideways

Best Animated Feature
The Incredibles

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Actually, I agree with his analysis of Superman. Superman is one of the only superheros who was actually born as he was, there is no separation between a normal life and his life as Superman. He is always concious from almost birth that in order to fit in he will have to hide his superpowers.

I think his "want" to be human is a more modern interpretation of the Superman hero, whereas Tarantino is no doubt focusing on the origins of the story which are rather uncomplicated and are mostly characterized by Superman being... well a superman and him portraying Clark as slightly bumbling.

I don't think it's Tarantio's error, I think it just depends on which version of the story you think is considered the "real superman". We've had this discussion before when you said that the new Batman script is "close to the original interpretation of Batman" when in my opinion it definately follows the popular Year One interpretation but does not really resemble the detective of the 1940s Batman comics.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:05 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Top 10 List

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Sideways
3. Closer
4. Finding Neverland
5. The Phantom of the Opera
6. Kinsey
7. Hotel Rwanda
8. The Aviator
9. Garden State
10. Fahrenheit 9/11

Best Foreign Films

1. The Sea Inside
2. A Very Long Engagement
3. The Motorcycle Diaries
4. Der Untergang
5. House of Flying Daggers

Best Director

Alexander Payne (Sideways)

Best Actor

Javier Bardem (The Sea Inside)

Best Actress

Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Finding Neverland)

Best Supporting Actor

Peter Sarsgaard (Garden State and Kinsey)

Best Supporting Actress

Natalie Portman (Closer and Garden State)

Best Ensemble

Closer

Breakthrough Actor

Jamie Foxx (Ray and Collateral)

Breakthrough Actress

Natalie Portman (Garden State and Closer)

Best Directorial Debut

Zach Braff (Garden State)

Best Original Screenpaly

BestAdapted Screenplay

Finding Neverland

Best Animated Feature

The Incredibles

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

wat time of the day are they announced???

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:54 pm
Lord of filth

Thought #1: I don't expect Phantom of the Opera and The Passion of the Christ to be listed in the top 10, but if one of them *is* listed then the chance of that film (or both of those films?) getting nominated by the Academy increases greatly.

Thought #2: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Kinsey, Sideways and Ray will be on the list. I'm sure Hotel Rwanda will be there too but not 100%. There is a good possibility that Kill Bill, Vol. 2, Finding Neverland, and/or Closer ending up on the list. I think The Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit have great chances. Phantom of the Opera and Spanglish have really outside chances...

Thought #3: If Aviator is NOT on the list, then we can gather it was for the same reason that Lord of the Rings didn't make it... not enough people had got to see the movie (which was the published "reason"). If the Aviator is on the list, I bet it ends up in the top 3.

Thought #4: Sideways will be in the top 3 films, Eternal Sunshine will be in the top 5.

Thought #5: Scorsese will win Director.

Thought #6: Sideways will win ensemble, not Closer.

Thought #7: Natalie Portman will win Supporting Actress, paving the way for her Oscar.

Thought #8: Jamie Foxx's award season gets off to a great start by winning the actor award.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thought #1: I don't expect Phantom of the Opera and The Passion of the Christ to be listed in the top 10, but if one of them *is* listed then the chance of that film (or both of those films?) getting nominated by the Academy increases greatly.

Thought #2: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Kinsey, Sideways and Ray will be on the list. I'm sure Hotel Rwanda will be there too but not 100%. There is a good possibility that Kill Bill, Vol. 2, Finding Neverland, and/or Closer ending up on the list. I think The Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit have great chances. Phantom of the Opera and Spanglish have really outside chances...

I don't expect Kill Bill Vol. 2 to get nominated. There is even less chance of The Passion of the Christ getting nominated because NBR is not its audience.

andaroo wrote:
Thought #3: If Aviator is NOT on the list, then we can gather it was for the same reason that Lord of the Rings didn't make it... not enough people had got to see the movie (which was the published "reason"). If the Aviator is on the list, I bet it ends up in the top 3.

What if The Aviator missed, while Million Dollar Baby or Spanglish are in? I don't think not enough people having seen the movie was the excuse for exclusion of The Lord of the Rings. It was just that NBR had some aversion against it, maybe because they tried to be different and push for smaller films. I don't expect The Aviator to miss the top 10, but it does, it won't be because they haven't seen it, especially if they include other late December releases.

andaroo wrote:
Thought #5: Scorsese will win Director.

I think it'll be between Payne and Nichols.

andaroo wrote:
Thought #8: Jamie Foxx's award season gets off to a great start by winning the actor award.

I think because there are so many good performances by actors this year, it's much easier for them to award Jamie Foxx the breakthrough award and someone else the actor award, since the competition for the former is much weaker. One could say Jamie Foxx isn't exactly just breaking through, but they did that last year with Charlize Theron, when she was already well-known. They could've given Theron the Best Actress as almost all the other critics groups did, but they chose to go that way.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

wat time of the day are they announced???

It should be around noon, eastern time.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

:P

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:47 am
Profile WWW
The nut inside me wants The Incredibles and F 9/11 to land in the top 10.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:10 am
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

Actually, I agree with his analysis of Superman. Superman is one of the only superheros who was actually born as he was, there is no separation between a normal life and his life as Superman. He is always concious from almost birth that in order to fit in he will have to hide his superpowers.

I think his "want" to be human is a more modern interpretation of the Superman hero, whereas Tarantino is no doubt focusing on the origins of the story which are rather uncomplicated and are mostly characterized by Superman being... well a superman and him portraying Clark as slightly bumbling.

I don't think it's Tarantio's error, I think it just depends on which version of the story you think is considered the "real superman". We've had this discussion before when you said that the new Batman script is "close to the original interpretation of Batman" when in my opinion it definately follows the popular Year One interpretation but does not really resemble the detective of the 1940s Batman comics.

Again, we go into a matter of interpretation on this. Superman wasn't born like he was. He gained his power over time due to the sun. He could not fly, he could not use heat vision and stuff. These are abilities he gained over time.

Now if we are going with the interpreation that Tarantino means that superman is superman cause he was born AS superman, then again, i consider that as untrue and can look at a huge gallery of superheros that fit the profile nicely (X-Men, Martian Manhunter, Diana)

But lets leave it at that ..... I feel like I'm hi jacking.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Look like we have to wait for another 2 hours. 2:30pm eastern time.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I already know the winners.

Then share them. I have browsers open for OscarWatch and GoldDerby forums, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:
I already know the winners.

Then share them. I have browsers open for OscarWatch and GoldDerby forums, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Ill post the winners in a couple of hours.
:wink:

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
1. Finding Neverland
2. The Aviator
3. Closer
4. Million Dollar Baby
5. Sideways
6. Kinsey
7. Vera Drake
8. Ray
9. Collateral
10. Hotel Rwanda

TOP FIVE FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILMS
1. The Sea Inside
2. Bad Education
3. Maria Full of Grace
4. Les Choristes
5. The Motorcycle Diaries

TOP FIVE DOCUMENTARIES OF 2004
1. Born into Brothels
2. Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
3. Paper Clips
4. Supersize Me
5. The Story of the Weeping Camel

Best Film: Finding Neverland

Best Foreign Language Film: The Sea Inside

Best Documentary: Born into Brothels

Best Animated Feature: The Incredibles

Best Actor: Jamie Foxx, Ray

Best Actress: Annette Bening, Being Julia

Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Hayden Chuch, Sideways

Best Supporting Actress: Laura Linney, Kinsey

Best Acting by an Ensemble: Closer

Breakthrough Performance Actor: Topher Grace, In Good Company and P.S.

Breakthrough Performance Actress: Emmy Rossum, The Phantom of the Opera

Best Director: Michael Mann, Collateral

Best Directorial Debut: Zack Braff, Garden State

Best Adapted Screenplay: Sideways, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor

Best Original Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Charlie Kaufman

Outstanding Production Design: House of Flying Daggers

Career Achievement: Jeff Bridges

Special Filmmaking Achievement: Clint Eastwood, for producing, directing, acting, and scoring Million Dollar Baby

William K. Everson Award for Film History: Richard Schickel

Producers Award: Jerry Bruckheimer

Special Recognition of Films that Reflect the Freedom of Expression: Fahrenheit 9/11, The Passion of the Christ, Conspiracy of Silence

Special Mention for Excellence in Filmmaking

The National Board of Review, in keeping with its long tradition of recognizing excellence in filmmaking, is proud to salute the following films, crafted by visionary artists which demonstrate the creativity and determination which have always been vital to the film industry:

(Listed alphabetically)
The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Before Sunset
Door in the Floor
Enduring Love
Facing Windows
Garden State
A Home at the End of the World
Imaginary Heroes
Since Otar Left
Stage Beauty
Undertow
The Woodsman

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:26 pm
Extraordinary

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Finding Neverland will be nominated for Best Picture and so will be The Aviator and Closer.

As I predicted and absolutely expected, The Sea Inside topped Best Foreign Movie. Seriously, this movie has a great chance to get a Best Picture nomination. Glad to see Collateral and Hotel Rwanda making it on the list.

Not a good sign for Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind. I think now more people will realize that it doesn't stand a good chance to get a Best Picture nom.

Also not much love for The Phantom of the Opera, but I still believe in the movie.

Jamie Foxx' win doesn't come as a big surprise, but I still don't think he'll win Best Actor. Annette Benning is back gaining monumentum on Being Julia. She will get a nom despite the low profile of the movie.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next