Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Kung Fu Panda 4 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Kung Fu Panda 4 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Kung Fu Panda 4
Quote:
Kung Fu Panda 4 is a 2024 American animated martial arts comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Universal Pictures. It is the fourth installment in the Kung Fu Panda franchise, and the sequel to Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016). The film was directed by Mike Mitchell, co-directed by Stephanie Ma Stine (in her feature directorial debut), written by Darren Lemke and the writing team of Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, and produced by Rebecca Huntley. It features Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, James Hong, Bryan Cranston, and Ian McShane reprising their roles from the previous films, with Awkwafina, Ke Huy Quan, Ronny Chieng, Lori Tan Chinn, and Viola Davis joining the cast as new characters. In the film, Po (Black), who must find and train his successor as the new Dragon Warrior, teams up with a fox bandit named Zhen (Awkwafina) to defeat evil sorceress "The Chameleon" (Davis).

Directors Jennifer Yuh Nelson and Alessandro Carloni were asked about the possibility of a fourth Kung Fu Panda film prior to the release of the third film in January 2016, with Nelson later saying in August 2018 that she was open to a fourth installment. DreamWorks officially announced the fourth film in August 2022, with Mitchell, Ma Stine, and Huntley attached as director, co-director, and producer, respectively, by April 2023. Most of the main voice cast, along with the returns of Aibel and Berger as writers, was announced in December 2023, following Awkwafina's casting in May of that year. Lemke joined the project in February 2024 to revise and add on to the screenplay. Composer Hans Zimmer, who had scored the previous three installments (the first two with John Powell and the third solely) returned to compose the fourth alongside frequent collaborator Steve Mazzaro.

Kung Fu Panda 4 premiered at the AMC 14 Theater at The Grove in Los Angeles on March 3, 2024, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on March 8. It has received generally positive reviews from critics.

Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:15 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: Kung Fu Panda 4
There are several positives, including the animation, action sequences and the villain is an improvement over the third film.

However, the story is somewhat tired and the whole film just feels unnecessary. Awkwafina's character should have been the Furious Five, who are sorely missed here.

The musical sequence at the beginning of the end credits is incredible though.

Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:03 am
The Kramer

I enjoyed this one quite a bit, more than the third and about equal to 2 I think (will have to rewatch them.) Sure some scenes resemble other movies a little too much which is pretty lazy (the one scene where Zhen is pushing over priceless artifacts and Poe having to save them is copied and pasted directly out of Rush Hour for instance.) However, most of the action is spectacular as you would expect from this franchise. And I love me a good ole passing the torch movie (Cars 3 > the other two by far.) Poe and Zhen's chemistry works and I'd be happy to come back to see them again. The Furious Five's voices are missed, but I get that it was necessary to keep the budget down on this not-guaranteed hit. I expect they'll all be back for KFP5.

8/10ish.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:03 pm
The Kramer

Oh and Jack Black's cover of "Baby One More Time" during the credits was great.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]