Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Dune: Part Two 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Dune: Part Two 
Keeping it Light

Post Dune: Part Two

Quote:
Dune: Part Two is a 2024 American epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve, who co-wrote the screenplay with Jon Spaihts. The sequel to Dune (2021), it is the second of a two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel Dune by Frank Herbert, and follows Paul Atreides as he unites with the Fremen people of the desert planet Arrakis to wage war against House Harkonnen. Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, Charlotte Rampling, and Javier Bardem reprise their roles from the first film, with Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Christopher Walken and Léa Seydoux joining the ensemble cast.

Development began after Legendary Entertainment acquired film and television rights for Dune in 2016. Villeneuve signed on as director for the film in 2017, with the intention of making a two-part adaptation of the novel due to its complexity. Production contracts were only secured for a first film, with the second film having to be green-lit based on the first's success. Though Villeneuve was concerned about the sequel's certainty after the first film had a simultaneous theatrical and HBO Max release, Warner Bros. Pictures assured him the sequel would happen if it performed well on HBO Max. After the critical and commercial success of the first film, Warner Bros. and Legendary green-lit Dune: Part Two in October 2021. Most of the new cast members were announced in 2022, followed by Tim Blake Nelson a year later. Principal photography took place in Budapest, Italy, Jordan and Abu Dhabi between July and December 2022.

Dune: Part Two had its world premiere at the Odeon Luxe Leicester Square in London on February 15, 2024. It was released in the United States on March 1, 2024, after being delayed from late-2023 release due to the Hollywood labor disputes.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dune: Part Two
Near the middle I thought to myself that this is good but I'm not sure if it deserves the massive praise. By the end the movie won me over. Definitely feels like a much more satisfying film than Part 1.

Good for Florence Pugh if she got a massive paycheck for this lolol Timothee and Zendaya were both great.

Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:37 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was fine but also bored me. The entire top tier of young Hollywood is in this movie and they basically have nothing to do and the story is equally lame and overly complex for what it's trying to do.

I also still am not on the Chamalet train. He feels like a teenager playing dress up in everything he's ever done for me.

Technicals were top notch obviously.

Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 am
Profile YIM
The Kramer

I loved this movie so much. I dunno if there will ever be enough time to gush over why its so damn good and even improved on the book in several aspects. So for now I'll just give it a 10/10 and come back after seeing it a 2nd time. Then the 3rd. Then the 4th. Then the ... well you get it.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:51 pm
Romosexual!

A++++++

basically it's EVERYTHING everyone's been saying :D FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!
I felt bad for Paul :( kinda like I felt for Anakin during his journey to being Darth Vader.

CAN NOT WAIT FOR Dune Messiah :ninja: in 3 years.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:07 pm
Superfreak

thompsoncory wrote:
This was fine but also bored me. The entire top tier of young Hollywood is in this movie and they basically have nothing to do and the story is equally lame and overly complex for what it's trying to do.

I also still am not on the Chamalet train. He feels like a teenager playing dress up in everything he's ever done for me.

Technicals were top notch obviously.

Never in the history of KJ have I seen a post I agree with more. What an utter bore, nobody is having an ounce of fun, 2 1/2 hours fo slow expensive somber is tough to sit through, the romance is horrific, the new characters terribly developed, the action too quick and too rare, ugh, what a pretty, well made chore to sit through this was for me.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:08 am
The Kramer

Boring is not a complaint I expected. The movie had me gripped for the whole 2:45. Not a single second wasted.

Then again, I think Blade Runner 2049 is boring and a lot of people highly disagree with that. So to each their own.

I'm gonna have to rewatch all these, and also finally see Incendies, but current Denis rankings:

Dune Part Two - 10/10
Enemy - 9
Arrival - 8.5
Prisoners - 8
Dune Part One - 8
Sicario - 5.5
Blade Runner 2049 - 5.5

Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:27 pm
Superfreak

"Stars" Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Chris Walken, and Stellan Skarsgard probably filmed all of their scenes within 1 week. They had a combined 10 minutes ish screen time.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:34 pm
Hold the door!

I really liked it but wish they hadn’t changed the ending with Paul’s sister so much. It was one of the big wtf moments of the book. Beyond that it’s more of what we loved about dune part one, with handsome production and costumes, good special effects and a feeling of immersive ness that’s rare in cinema today.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:36 pm
Quality is a great business plan

I thought the movie was fantastic. Its so gripping the entire time and last 3rd was among the best movies made. Chalamet is going to be the biggest superstar around for sure.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:38 pm
Veteran

Outstanding. I will see it a 4th time tomorrow. Acting, direction, action, pace, structure, cinematography - all on point. A couple of minor nitpicks: 1) I thought the Zimmer score was a step down but still excellent. 2) Chani's hostility towards Paul towards the end were a tad overdone. It seemed like the filmmakers were attempting to mitigate the "white messiah" trope with a cynical 'native' character. Yet in the books, Chani did have internal struggles between Paul and her people (Fremen), so i'll give the movie half a pass.

While it may not quite reach the heights of Part 1, it's 95% as good, and stands as one of the finest cinematic experiences of the past decade.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:21 am
Indiana Jones IV

Just came back. I find it odd that after liking the first part so much, I am just plainly disappointed in the second.
Too much Chani and her being hostile and even having quite an inappropriate behavior at times. Downright mocking of the prophecy and fundamentals - made Stilgar look like a fool... (I know how it is in the book, but it was Bene Gesserit scheming and not uttered outright). Maybe my expectation were too high here. But there was too much stuff that irritated me.
Also, Paul having his eyes open - I thought we would have a more "metaphysical" images.
Sorry, had to vent...

And it feels like this movie doesn't have a soul. Dune 1984 for all its flaws made your mind wonder. Come on, Paul drinking the water of life. Come on... I know it is Brian Eno, but man...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJ2dAw5B1w

Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:38 pm
Veteran

I also didn’t like the Chani hostility. And yes, there was too much of her (but I guess Hollywood can’t have the last shot be on a non diverse person nowadays,can they?).
I have my theories on why, which I shared in my post.

Overall though, I am liking Dune 2 more and more upon repeated viewings.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:33 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I wish they would have given scene of Paul drinking the water of life the same attention as him riding a worm first time. I know it is a bit on weird side, but that's what makes him special. Him seeing futures is a big part of him being who he is. It's been downplayed in the movie not only before he drinks the water, but even after.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:04 pm
Superman: The Movie

A visual masterpiece that is completely devoid of charm and wit.

What if Star Wars didn't have Han Solo? Dune doesn't need a Han Solo, but how about some levity? A moment of relief.

And I like Chalamet, but I didn't buy him in the first one and I still don't buy him in this one.

C+

As for Denis...

Sicario - A
Arrival - A-
Blade Runner 2049 - B+
Prisoners - B+
Enemy - B+
Dune: Part One - B
Dune: Part Two - C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:52 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Excel wrote:
"Stars" Austin Butler, Florence Pugh, Chris Walken, and Stellan Skarsgard probably filmed all of their scenes within 1 week. They had a combined 10 minutes ish screen time.

That's how it is in the book (aside from Skarsgard).

Florence will have a lot more to do in the next one.

Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:07 am
Keeping it Light

Wow, this impressed me a lot. Particularly the scope and the pace of it, there's nothing else I can make of it than that it's just epic. And it surprised me, because part one is frankly dull and I couldn't get into it, this totally flips the script. The visuals and sound are even better, the story suddenly moves incredibly fast and it goes from one pulse pumping scene to the next. The set pieces are great and continuously beautiful to look at, CGI has never been better it feels. Also unlike part one, there's actually some good humor too and blends it really well with dramatic stakes at the same time. The cast is so vast and good too, I'm glad to see Ferguson having more to do, nice to see Walken in a big film again, Butler plays a great new character and Pugh is a good fit as the princess. Bardem gives one of my favorite supporting performances of the last years and Chamalet has matured as an actor and in the role to deliver a really good lead performance.
If there's anything to down this on, it's just that the story is either not my thing, or not developed in the way for me to care more about it. The screenplay often doesn't flow well, it makes me suspect that they forcefully tried to lap whole pages of story into single lines to dialogue and it hurts the film. But while I didn't care for knowing more about the world and the characters based on part one, after part two I feel I don't know enough. The film could've been longer and I wouldn't have minded, but anyway I look forward to part three for more Dune now.

A-

Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:42 pm
Keeping it Light

lilmac wrote:
While it may not quite reach the heights of Part 1, it's 95% as good, and stands as one of the finest cinematic experiences of the past decade.

I just feel part 1 has no height, it's I now feel an overstretched prologue that doesn't excite, part 2 on the other is indeed a true cinematic experience that's a blast throughout.

Villeneuve ranking:

Dune Part Two - A-
Enemy - A-
Sicario - A-
Arrival - B+
Prisoners - B+
Blade Runner 2049 - B-
Dune Part One - C+

Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:09 pm
The Kramer

I double Duned it yesterday by watching D1 at home before going to D2. Would highly recommend if you have the time as it gave me the full experience of the book while also simultaneously highlighting the individualities of both of them. I appreciated Dune Part One alot more seeing it as its own grand epic rather than just the first half of one. Cause it would not have worked as a full movie, even at 4.5 hours. D2 needs to take things slowly to work as perfectly and you just can't have scenes like that in the 3-4 hour mark of a movie (this is what hindered Killers of the Flower Moon for me.) Viewing Stilgar as a comedic figure also gives the first movie alot of much needed levity even though he's not in it that much. That's one of my favorite changes from the book, along with Chani and Jessica being more active characters, having an external feud for Paul's soul to make up for the lack of internal monologue that you can't do in a (good) movie. The only thing from the book I really missed was Count Fenring, but I get why Denis didn't want to introduce yet another new character at that point in the story.

I never onced wavered on my opinion that there is no single wasted second in this film. I didn't get up to go to bathroom. Never checked the time. That's gotta be a first for a repeated viewing ... except for maybe the one's on Lincoln Center imax.

Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:01 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Visually it's astounding

And I thought the religious fanaticism aspect was very well done and appropriately frightening

But the climactic battle was way too easy, to the point where it made the whole film feel silly. Dennis Villenueve is scared of action scenes. This should've been a Pelennor Fields style all time epic moment but it was basically 2 minutes of money shots and then it was over. This is the Emperor of the whole galaxy. It should be harder to defeat him than this. It worked for the book because it's a book, but film is a visual medium and the bar for suspension of disbelief is much higher. And there was no loss either. Every major battle needs a loss. Josh Brolin should've been killed off. As it is, it feels empty and perfunctory and bereft of any emotional impact or catharsis. It felt like a foregone conclusion they were going to win from the moment those sandworms popped up.

And I can't get past how they've butchered Jessica's character, turning her into a power hungry weirdo

And Zendaya is mediocre and unappealing to watch and her character being turned into a self insert for social justice minded girls of today is totally out of character with the universe being established, it truly took me out of the film

B+

Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:40 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Best movie since the Two Towers. I want more!

Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]