Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Zone of Interest 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Zone of Interest 
Keeping it Light

Post The Zone of Interest

Quote:
The Zone of Interest is a 2023 historical psychological horror film written and directed by Jonathan Glazer, loosely based on the 2014 novel by Martin Amis. It was a co-production between the United States, the United Kingdom and Poland. It stars Christian Friedel as the German Nazi commandant Rudolf Höss, who strives to build a dream life with his wife, Hedwig (Sandra Hüller), in a new home next to the German Auschwitz concentration camp.

The Zone of Interest premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on 19 May 2023 to acclaim, winning both the Grand Prix and FIPRESCI Prize.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:53 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Zone of Interest
Wasn't really crazy about this. I was very tired when I saw this so maybe that was why I dozed off multiple times lol I don't really think a rewatch would change my mind though.

Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:07 am
Devil's Advocate

I wasn't quite as bored as I predicted, at least it had some semblance of a storyline/characters instead of just being about the visuals, although still not the most entertaining movie in the world or anything. The two main characters seem very materialistic and shallow, just worried about their house, job promotion, flowers, kids, etc., or perhaps it's a way to deny how they got it. I guess it can be seen like a metaphor for living in a country that's doing some horrible things in a foreign place like the Middle East, and we're just emotionally disconnected to it focusing on our own interests, even when we can kind of hear the screams. The movie is pretty nice visually making use of landscape by the river, the black and white parts were cool and the sound is used in a tremendous way.

Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:23 am
Keeping it Light

It's a pretty good film, more so because of its educational value than it's entertaining one. It's cold and chilling with good performances, but it's also artsy, more than it needs to be I think. It intend seems to be to appeal to the senses and imagination, the score is good, and it succeeds to some extent. But there's also long shots without dialogue/ much happening, and it fails to grip me like Schindler's List and the Pianist are able to. Granted, totally different budget and scope between this and those. Glazer has a clear talent for film making, and he adapts a very interesting piece of history, but his taste isn't quite mine.

B+

Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]