Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 

Rate this film:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 
Keeping it Light

Post The Bird with the Crystal Plumage

Quote:
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Italian: L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo) is a 1970 giallo film written and directed by Dario Argento, in his directorial debut. It stars Tony Musante as an American writer in Rome who witnesses a serial killer targeting young women, and tries to uncover the murderer's identity before he become their next victim. The cast also features Suzy Kendall, Enrico Maria Salerno, Eva Renzi, Umberto Raho and Mario Adorf.

A co-production of Italy and West Germany, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is the first in what has been called his thematic "Animal Trilogy", along with Argento's next two gialli, The Cat o' Nine Tails (1971) and Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1972). Argento's screenplay borrows liberally from Fredric Brown's 1949 novel The Screaming Mimi, which had a previously been made into a 1958 American film.

An international commercial and critical success on release, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage has been credited with popularizing giallo, an Italian genre of horror-thriller developed in the 1960s, and launched Argento's career as a filmmaker.

Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:38 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
I'll admit I only picked this movie cause it has a cool title and I've been seeking out more genre movies in the past (as opposed to the oscar films / avant-garde dramas that I don't usually like.) Had no idea it was the first film of legendary horror director Dario Argentio, but I became a fan once the credits rolled. This is just a very solid (and very violent) murder mystery / slasher film. And it has excellent pacing for a movie that is over 50 years old. You can tell its from a rookie filmmaker at times, but it has the confidence of a veteran. Can probably thank the producer, Dario's poppa, for allowing the artist such creative liberties. The ending kinda threw me off at first but it makes sense when you consider all the pieces of the puzzle.

8.5/10

Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]