Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 After Hours 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

After Hours 
Keeping it Light

Post After Hours

Quote:
After Hours is a 1985 American black comedy film directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Joseph Minion, and produced by Amy Robinson, Griffin Dunne, and Robert F. Colesberry. Dunne stars as Paul Hackett, an office worker who experiences a series of misadventures while attempting to make his way home from New York City's SoHo district during the night.

After Hours was critically acclaimed for its black humor, and is considered to be a cult film. It is the last feature-length film by Scorsese to not be an adaptation or biopic.

The film won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Feature. Scorsese won the Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Director and the Independent Spirit Award for Best Director for the film.

Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:37 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: After Hours
This is Marty's one night fever trip movie, resembling more of what the Coen Brothers would come to be known for than Scorsese himself. I really like that he dipped his toes in all these different genres though. Crazy to think that he didn't really even become the Gangster Movie guy until 15-20 years into his career.

I was torn on After Hours for most of the runtime for a single reason - I couldn't tell whether the protaganist was meant to be an unlucky everyman, or an arrogant selfish idiot who caused all of his own problems but always had someone else to blame for them. The former would have been a bad and annoyingly oblivious look for this movie. But the ending has me convinced that me and Marty are on the same page here. This wasn't bad luck. This was a character who was being punished for being a selflish imbecile.

So I'll give a 7.5. I've seen this movie done better by others, but was fascinating to see Marty's version of it.

Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]