Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Saltburn 

Grade:
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Saltburn 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Saltburn
Quote:
Saltburn is a 2023 black comedy psychological thriller film written, directed and produced by Emerald Fennell. The film stars Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, Alison Oliver, and Archie Madekwe. Set in England in the mid-2000s, it follows a young university student who becomes infatuated with his wealthy schoolmate, who invites him to spend the summer at his eccentric family's estate.

Saltburn had its world premiere at the 50th Telluride Film Festival on August 31, 2023, and was released in the United Kingdom on November 17, 2023, and in the United States via a limited theatrical release the same day, before expanding wide on November 22. It received generally positive reviews from critics.

Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:24 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Saltburn
I loved this. Idk if the "reveal"/ending worked but overall this was entertaining, looked fantastic and the whole cast is excellent.

Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I think this is one of those movies where the less you know going in, the better. I knew very little and was absolutely blown away. Phenomenal movie, excellent writing directing acting music cinematography editing, all in service of telling a uniquely deranged (but somehow beautiful?) story of longing, belonging, class and power and charisma and privilege, pathos and eros. Just go see it! My favorite movie of 2023.

A

Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:33 am
Wallflower

I saw this back in October at an advanced screening. Since its official wide release a week ago, I've gone two more times.

This was my review after my first viewing:

Quote:
This is one of the very best films of the year. Stylish and provocative. The cinematography is sure to be among the year's best. Barry Keoghan is sensational, and Rosamund Pike is a scene stealer. I wish Carey Mulligan had been in it a bit more. Pretty much every line of hers cracked me up, thanks to her pitch-perfect delivery. I loved how demented this was. Emerald Fennell shows us things that will make most uncomfortable and forces us to watch. I relished in the depravity. It was things that you don't usually see in movies. I found it refreshing. I honestly think she could have pushed it a little farther in one or two scenes.

I did think it got off to a bit of a slow start. But once we get to Saltburn, it really picks up. I can't wait to see this again when it officially opens.

I have enjoyed it even more on repeat viewings. It's been really fun to bring people to it and see how they react to certain scenes :funny:. I'll probably see it one more time in the theater. I have one more friend I'm wanting to bring to it.

It's really unfortunate this isn't going to get the awards recognition it deserves. I think the only shot at a nomination would be for Rosamund. But it's a shame Barry doesn't have a chance. It also should have been a shoo-in for Cinematography and Production Design.

Anyway, this is an A for me.

Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:25 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I was hoping to hear your thoughts, Magic Mike. :heart: Love what you said about it and I resonate a lot. I think it should be in the conversation for basically all the awards, including Original Screenplay and Direction, as well as Lead Actor and two Supporting Actresses (mom and daughter both amazing, as were Felix and his cousin (even the dad was pitch perfect) but maybe not quite award recognition worthy). such a masterful and royally fucked up (yet eminently enjoyable) movie.

Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:49 pm
Wallflower

The whole ensemble was great. I would love for it to get an ensemble nod from SAG. Won't happen unfortunately. I do think Rosamund could get in at the Globes. They love her and nominate her for everything. If they put it in Comedy, I think Barry could get in there too.

On a side note, I also saw All of Us Strangers back in October. That's my favorite of the year so far. It was nice seeing it so early.

Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:17 am
Superfreak

What a strange movie. Rosamund Pike remains exceptionally underutilized.

Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:18 am
The Kramer

I was with Saltburn for most of the runtime. The movie is impeccably made, there is no doubt about that. I was just expecting Emerald to take it to another level beyond just weird sex stuff like licking period blood and bath tub cum. The whole "it was Parasite" all along, this super smart upper-middle-class fella planned everything all along, followed by the dancing ... it just came off as obnoxious and kinda ruined the whole movie for me. Turns out that Emerald is just another priviledged white person who likes to judge other priviledged white people without ever bothering to recognize the priviledge in herself. And that's so very disappointing cause I loved Promising Young Woman and even though that skirts similiar ground, I never felt that aura of "oh I'm so much better than the stupid rich people!" vibe from it. Probably because she wrote it before seeing crap like The White Lotus. Saltburn ends up being 2+ hours of the spit in the coffee scene and very little else.

5/10 - would have been in a 7.5 if it ended without annoying me and possibly up to the 8-9 with some kind of wild as fuck ending that I wanted.

Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:53 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

this is gonna become a cult classic a la Cruel Intentions

A

Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:47 pm
Wallflower

Steve wrote:
I was hoping to hear your thoughts, Magic Mike. :heart: Love what you said about it and I resonate a lot. I think it should be in the conversation for basically all the awards, including Original Screenplay and Direction, as well as Lead Actor and two Supporting Actresses (mom and daughter both amazing, as were Felix and his cousin (even the dad was pitch perfect) but maybe not quite award recognition worthy). such a masterful and royally fucked up (yet eminently enjoyable) movie.

I did appreciate Allison Oliver a lot more on repeat viewings. She's so great in her final scene.

Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:26 am
The Kramer

I see that Murder on the Dance Floor has resurfaced on streaming. So at least some good came out of that ending. :funny:

Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

The whole Jude Law in Mr. Ripley factor of everyone being in Felix's glow doesn't work as well because characters like the parents and Farleigh are more into money/class than him, plus Oliver is the one seducing half the characters and able to have them under his thumb. Then getting to the ending of all the rich people dying being its Mulligan's text at the end of Promising Young Woman is too rushed and forced, like the movie was missing a forty minutes of him sleeping with/marrying Pike and actually killing her instead of natural cancer death, and finally killing his nemesis Farleigh. I also have mixed feelings about whether it was necessary to make Oliver middle class fraud, it doesn't make that much sense with the yay the rich people are dead ending, maybe him being poor but lying about the details with his parents would have been enough to split up him and Felix. Some of the visual scenes are cool but the plot could have been structured better. I do love Barry and hope he breaks out as a real leading star, and I liked Archie Madekwe the most of the supporting cast.

Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]