Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Killers of the Flower Moon 

Grade:
A 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Killers of the Flower Moon 
now we know

Post Killers of the Flower Moon

Quote:
Killers of the Flower Moon is a 2023 American epic Western crime drama film directed and produced by Martin Scorsese, who co-wrote the screenplay with Eric Roth, based on the 2017 book of the same name by David Grann. Its plot centers on a series of Oklahoma murders in the Osage Nation during the 1920s, committed after oil was discovered on tribal land. Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, and Lily Gladstone lead an ensemble cast that includes Jesse Plemons, Tantoo Cardinal, John Lithgow, and Brendan Fraser. It is the sixth feature film collaboration between Scorsese and DiCaprio and the tenth between Scorsese and De Niro.

Killers of the Flower Moon premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on May 20, 2023 to widespread critical acclaim for its direction, screenplay, score, cinematography, production design, and performances of DiCaprio, De Niro and Gladstone. It was released in theaters in the United States on October 20, 2023 by Apple TV+, under their Apple Original Films label, and by Paramount Pictures. It was also screened in IMAX theatres, and then a streaming release on Apple TV+.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:45 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Killers of the Flower Moon
Killers of the Flower Moon is a mostly entertaining and only slightly overlong epic. It's nuanced in its portrayal of relations between the Osage and the white Americans, and there are just a lot of layers here to unpack. Probably there is a 2 hr 45 minute cut that would have been stronger overall, but this is a beautifully shot film with career highlight performances from Dicaprio and Deniro, as well as a strong breakout performance from Gladstone.

Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:04 am
Extraordinary

I thought it was a great film though definitely long.

I thought Leo was actually the weakest of the key 3 though he isn't bad just felt like another Leo performance. DeNiro is great in this and I think it's been a few decades since I've liked him in a movie this much. Maybe Meet The Parents?

Gladstone really is the glue that makes the movie so special. She gave a very nuanced performance that worked well.

Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excellent movie. Had Leo never won I feel he'd be a shoe in to win the Oscar.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:50 pm
The Kramer

Watching Marty turn this story into a gangster epic, complete with A+ performances by both Leo and DeNiro, was completely fascinating ... for about two hours. This movie really needed to either be cut down or cut in two though cause I really didn't care about anything that happened during minutes 150-210. Especially the part where Leo is gonna testify, then he isn't gonna testify, then he is... That could have all been cut out and saved us at least 20 minutes right there ... though I did like that Fraiser was cast as the lawyer.

So let's go 10/10 for the first half, 5/10 for the second half and a healthy 7.5/10 for the movie overall.

Also, while this movie succeeded in making me mad at white people, it also made me upset that the Osage just sat there and let it happen. They have all this big talk about how the government isn't going to help them and they have to take matters into their own hands and they'll never let the white man take their land again ... and then they just do nothing about it. Oh we know the white people are behind the killings but surely it couldn't the White Man who is in charge of all the other white people around here. He's one of the good ones! :poke:

Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:14 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

A-

Points docked for being way too long and because Leo is a rough 48 and had no business playing a 20 something

Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:38 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was very well made and amazingly directed by Scorsese but it felt very light in resolution. This story didn't beg to be 3.5 hours long, there have been movies that have done this story with better time management. The small sections felt useful to navigate and bring connection to overall proceedings. Even with all those connections in overall scheme of things King did not feel the most menacing antagonist, I felt the main Murder of Anna would have had the same impact towards the ending along with poisoning sub-plot.

I also felt Leo and DeNiro can do these roles in their sleep so I never felt they were awards worthy. Lily Gladstone on the other hand says so much with her eyes in every scene, would definitely love to see her win for this.

6/10. A solid B

Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:01 pm
Hold the door!

You came back Jack!

Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:12 pm

Jack straight dripping opinions.

Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:49 am
On autopilot for the summer

Reviews are good but the movie is a chore, reminds me of there will be blood. Even the more glowing reviews says it’s a long sit which isn’t good for ga. Not surprised though, while Scorsese isn’t a woody, we did have a 15 year stretch when he made films that also did well. He is definitely more of an Oliver Stone in that regard.

It is one of those “that was good but instant forgettable” films.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:08 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I think it is a great film - especially by today's standards. Perhaps not Tier 1 Scorsese but still an easy A grade for me. While I was conscious of the length - it didn't bother me because it moved along quickly and was engaging. Performances are great too - especially Gladstone.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:47 pm
now we know

It did not have an iron grip on me or anything but it is a good, solid movie. It is meticulously filmed and presented, nicely paced, you know you're watching a film from someone with pedigree. Though I got a little confused with the many names I had to follow (because a lot of people die) it didn't hurt the overall experience too much as DiCaprio shines. Gladstone and De Niro are also very competent and it was nice to see supporting turns from John Lithgow, Brendan Fraser, Pat Healy, and Jesse Plemons. Gladstone has an earthy serenity, which I found added to her beauty. All-in-all I just enjoyed being thrust into this prohibition era mix of cultures. It is, for as much as I could tell, authentically produced.

I think it will be more memorable than The Irishman.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Telling the story from the perspective of the bad guys didn’t work for me because along with taking away any potential suspense about who’s doing it, ultimately these guys aren’t deep enough to justify all that screentime, Dicaprio is an idiot and De Niro is pure evil, the first scene and the spanking scene tells us what we need to know about them respectively. Despite the running time many of the other gangsters or victims feel underdeveloped or in need of a more memorable character actor to play them. I liked the early DiCaprio-Gladstone scenes and after he gets arrested, I wish the humor of Ernest and Blackie’s conversation in the interrogation was in more of the movie. Gladstone is the best performance in the movie (probably supporting though), while DiCaprio and De Niro are both very good. The movie overall has no business being 3.5 hours, the arrest/court room stuff is 40 minutes, they don’t even show when Ernest starts doing jobs for him or any of the 3 main character's early life, Plemons role is relatively small, etc.

Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:16 pm
Keeping it Light

Massive and engrossing film, the 3 main actors are all great, DeNiro's best role in a long while and Gladstone especially easily delivers my favorite female performance this year. It's a really good in terms of the storytelling and I like how this for me pretty unknown chapter of American history gets this grand cinematic treatment. The runtime is its only downside for me though, it's not that it necessarily feels bloated, it's just a long sit. Totally worth it and interesting to watch once, but not offering me something that remarkable that I feel like revisiting again either.

A-

Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:56 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

C

first half was B+ but the last hour was just a more fancy and loooong Law & Order episode.

Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]