Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Barbie 

Grade:
A 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Barbie 
now we know

Post Barbie

Quote:
Barbie is a 2023 American fantasy comedy film directed by Greta Gerwig from a screenplay she wrote with Noah Baumbach. Based on the Barbie fashion dolls by Mattel, it is the first live-action Barbie film after many computer-animated direct-to-video and streaming television films. The film stars Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken, who go on a journey of self-discovery after their expulsion from the utopian Barbie Land, alongside a large ensemble cast that includes America Ferrera, Kate McKinnon, Issa Rae, Rhea Perlman, and Will Ferrell.

Barbie premiered at The Shrine in Los Angeles on July 9, 2023, and was released theatrically in the United States and the United Kingdom on July 21, 2023, by Warner Bros. Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Barbie
Idk if I'd put it up there with Lady Bird or Little Women but overall solid movie. Some aspects are really well done and clever, and Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling are really great.

I think given the hype train I could see people thinking it's underwhelming. It doesn't really feel like a huge blockbuster but it's fun and entertaining.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:28 am
100% That Bitch

A

I am in awe they really did that

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:09 pm
Romosexual!

A+

:D That was fun!

Mau wrote:
A

I am in awe they really did that

The last line of the movie :hahaha:

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:52 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was honestly spectacular. In addition to being hilarious and just a flat-out-fun summer movie, the whole narrative is actually really well done and the film has a beautiful message. The ending made me cry. A great deal of the movie was kept out of the advertising so I was surprised at some of the twists and turns the story ended up taking.The script is sharp, the production design is awe-inspiring and the performances are top notch. Ryan Gosling has rightfully been getting a lot of acclaim here, but this is Margot Robbie's best performance to date - she's absolutely incredible and I hope she's in the awards conversation this year. Greta Gerwig is really such an incredible talent. A

Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:21 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

Pretty good film, Gosling is basically amazing and Robbie is simply great casting too. I didn't really have an idea where they could take a Barbie film for it to be successful, but this version feels about as good as it could be. The blending of the worlds is necessary and each part works equally well. The comedy is very good and delivers the best moments, I would have liked more of it. Instead it's also dedicated to its feminist agenda, which I guess works for the film and the story, but it just turns a bit too preachy also. All together it's mostly a fun experience however.

B+

Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:31 am

Preachy feminist movie? Sounds like something my wife will love.

Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:14 am
Sbil

Everything I wanted it to be and, somehow, more. Barbie truly is everything. The movie is brilliantly written (with a couple of jokes that don’t work but who’s counting?) and directed by Greta Gerwig, and was clearly made with so much heart and reverence. Both for Barbie herself and the impact this doll has had on generations of women (and men!) but also the modern society woman. I expected the film to be funny and campy and insanely colorful, which it was…VERY much so. But I wasn’t counting on how touched I’d be but the celebration of individuality, the film’s subversive humor mixing with a poignant message to deliver a truly precious experience.

Ryan Gosling is astoundingly funny and commits to the character in such a way that it makes you wonder if this Kenergy was there all along. He’s given great comedic performances before (namely Crazy Stupid Love and The Nice Guys) but this is a whole other level. America Ferrera finally gets a juicy film role and delivers a warm turn with a monologue about Things Women Need to Be for the ages (Oscar clip plz!).

None of this would be possible without Margot Robbie’s divine Barbie, one of the more perfect performances I can remember in a while. She gives so much grace and guileless innocence to this character while provoking laughs and drawing us in with her emotion. The “you’re so beautiful” scene on the bus bench…her best acting moment of her career to date.

I can’t wait to see it again, and again, and again. Especially if I’m ever feeling like Depressed Barbie!

A

Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:19 pm
Superfreak

This film was like a better version of Zoolander (with Will Ferrell reprising his same role) with a truly absurd story and cast of characters connecting far more than they ever should over the message of self acceptance. Genuinely stunned at how good this.

Thrilled for Margot Robbie after al the absurd BS she was given last year after her series of flops. This films opens to legit. half of its actual opening weekend if ANYONE else is in the lead role. She is also absolutely magnificent. It is a highly overstated turn but this was an iconic performance from a truly endearing persona. Robbie is so shockingly beautiful that her warm charisma occasionally gets overlooked but its used perfectly here. Gosling is obviously very good too but its not his movie.

Sequel needs more Barbieland and should be set (and released) around Christmas. So much potential here for more, could see an Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me type of leap in number 2.

Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:36 pm
Hold the door!

Barbie is really funny like 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time it gets Super preachy and political. It wasn’t so much that I couldn’t enjoy most of the movie, but it was enough to knock it down from great to good. If it weren’t for all the monologues complaining about men in the second half of the movie, you’d have one of the funniest comedies of the 21st century. As Is, it’s better than i expected but not as good as the trailers made it look.

Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:46 pm
The Kramer

I think President Ken had some good ideas. Maybe we should hear him out instead of letting someone from the so-called real world tell us what to do.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:20 am
100% That Bitch

My favorite joke has to be the narrator pointing out that making Margot look ugly is almost impossible, lulz.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:53 pm
The Kramer

My biggest laugh was when the radio station switched to Ken's greatest hits and "Push" by Matchbox Twenty came on. Before the movie, that wouldn't have even been in my top 20 choices for a "bro-rock" song but for some reason it just hit (and then hit again later in the movie) and I was cracking up about it during the entire next scene.

The Ken parts of the movie are the fun, the Barbie parts are the message. Although even the message is kind of muddled. America Ferrara's speech about how awful the patriarchy is makes sense in the real world, but the Barbie world basically was the same thing with the gender roles reversed. Am I supposed to feel bad for them for being on the other side of it for one whole day? I'm glad Barbie was able to leave that behind to try and pursue something more significant in her life. Though she should've taken poor Ken with her. :funny:

All in all, to me it played like an SNL movie. Barbie and Star Go To Vista Del Murica. Absurdist humor mixed with some soft political jabs. Before the year started, I was expecting less from the movie. After its monster box office and review hype, I was expecting more. So the movie landing right in the middle of my wildly shifting expectations feels right somehow. So I'll give it a 7.7/10ish.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:04 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was even better the second time. An instant classic.

Margot for the Oscar, seriously. This is going to be the movie she's remembered for in her legacy, in the same way Elle Woods and Legally Blonde are for Reese Witherspoon.

Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:27 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also, the "You're so beautiful" scene is the best movie moment of the year, and won't be topped. Beautiful.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:45 am
Profile YIM
llegó a la casa vía marítima

First time I saw it I would've given it an A-.

Second time (was dragged to the theatre by a friend) I realized how try hard, cringe and reductive a lot of it is and now it feels like a B- at best.

Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:47 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's pretty good. Why is Will Ferrell/Mattel in this movie? I guess it's a way to introduce "The Creator" and you need her for Barbie's ending, but I feel like once she's introduced everything involving Ferrell could've been cut out of the movie. He's completely wasted in the third act. Thankfully Gosling absolutely cleans up and the end with Barbie and "The Creator" is really well done.

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It felt pretty fast paced to me to get through all of the original Barbieland scenes, real world and Ken's patriarchy segments in <2 hours. On one hand this speed and turns makes it entertaining, on the other I wonder if there was more to milk out of each part comedy or character wise, I might have preferred a few more fish out of water exploring the real world jokes, extra time with Ferrera and her daughter or more time with the Kens in charge before they get it flipped on them instead of forcing in the I'm Just Ken sequence. Ken's role has the feel like once Gerwig realized what she had she changed the movie to use him more, maybe in the original version Ferrell is more the villain who ruins Barbieland or something. Robbie is amazing and can single handily add emotional depth to the movie with one look, and I thought the more serious and existential parts of the movie worked. She is just a movie star. I thought America Ferrera (who's never been hotter) did a nice job too in a role without the most development, and Ferrell does his thing.

Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:22 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Just saw it and I think its brilliantly executed by Gerwig. I am excited to see her make Narnia for sure. Robbie/Gosling were brilliant along with supporting cast(loved Cena as Allen). Beautiful final act as well. Definitely going to win multiple awards as well.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:22 am
Extraordinary

I FINALLY saw it this week. What a cinematic achievement for the world building they did here.

I think what works so well here is that it takes a bunch of standard characters and all meshed them together so well:

-Michael Cera - Socially awkward guy
-Will Ferrell - Outrageous, talks loud, over the top guy
-Kate McKinnon - Ever unique with zany characters

It genuinely felt like everyone loved making this movie and it was like the first time I've seen those actors playing those roles though Ferrell's been playing it for 25+ years.

Margot and Ryan are fantastic but Ryan for me really stole the show. This role would have been incredibly cringy for I'd say 99.9% of other actors to play and he just so goes all in on this it's really an absurdly incredible performance. For all of his great performances, it's just so over the top leaving a smile on people's faces that I think he will sneak past RDJ's supporting which while great I don't think comes close to how central Gosling's was here for helping to make the movie work.

The last part does get a bit over the top a bit but I give them kudos for shooting the moon on this one. It's clear how it captured the zeitgeist and became a global box office phenomenon.

Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:19 am
Profile WWW

Felt like a movie about feminism for 13 year olds, which to be fair, it probably was, had a strong final scene and incredible visuals. But everything felt super surface level and that the dialogue was constantly focused on the message and less on being true to the story and character. Overall it was fine.

Like a B

Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]