Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

now we know

Post 65

Quote:
65 is an American science fiction action thriller film written and directed by Scott Beck and Bryan Woods.It stars Adam Driver, Ariana Greenblatt and Chloe Coleman. It is a co-production between Columbia Pictures, Bron Creative, Raimi Productions, and Beck/Woods.

65 was released in the United States on March 10, 2023, by Sony Pictures Releasing.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: 65
This was just OK. It has an uncomplicated premise and it has some adventure and suspense sequences, but I found myself wanting more from them. None of them really make use of turning the screw in terms of anxiety or spectacle. They're content to do a sequence and move past it satisfied with achieving a bog standard scene. From a more accomplished director this could have been a very compelling action adventure movie. Unfortunately much of the action is obscured by the dark or cuts, and apart from the final one all of the encounters with dinosaurs leave a lot to be desired. It has the feeling of a sci-fi adventure film made on the cheap. But it is better than After Earth, so there is that.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This actually wasn't bad overall... not great but thankfully short that it doesn't feel like a slog.

Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 am
Hold the door!

This was not terrible but nothing about it stands out. Driver does his best to elevate the material but his character is dull and the whole thing with his daughter dying feels tacked on and like it has no bearing on an arc or anything to do with the story. Plus I’m done with the whole stoic gruff man has his heart softened by caring for child trope in sci-fi/fantasy storytelling.

Decent special effects though considering the low budget.

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am
The Kramer

Well somebody saw Primal and thought "hey I could make one of those too!"

Not bad is the best way to describe it. There's plenty of exciting dino action to keep you going through the very short runtime. And once the asteroid comes into play the movie gains an urgency that powers it throught a very strong finale.

The issue is that the rest of the movie is far too standard. We've seen the lone wolf and cub trope so often lately. We've seen the father gaining redemption for his dead daughter. Really they should have dropped all that and just had it be a ride start to finish of Driver getting back to his family. And they also should have put the asteroid front and center. I think its box office would have improved by letting everyone know that all this happens on the last day the dinosaurs ruled the Earth instead of keeping it tucked away for a third act twist.

Again though, it was a fine movie to watch in the theaters. It's not exactly an original movie since its so close to Primal, but its close enough to make me not regret picking this over Shazam.

I'll give it a 6.5/10.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:40 pm
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I think its box office would have improved by letting everyone know that all this happens on the last day the dinosaurs ruled the Earth instead of keeping it tucked away for a third act twist.

Agreed.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Lots of good ideas in this, but fails to use most of them successfully. It's a mishmash of dino-horror-sci-fi playing out as an ordinary action film. It seems to want to or try to be so much, yet ends up not committing to anything. Greenblatt is good and Driver is fine, though he was also pretty stoic and monotone, and someone with more vibrance probably would have livened this up more. It felt like that setting would have benefitted from only a single character instead of this duo. The dinosaurs mostly sample just as monsters, the sfx on them is good though, and the film as a whole looked pretty good, though a level of dedication felt missing as a whole. It doesn't stand out in any department, and will pass through the year for me as only an average experience.

C

Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]