Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Once Upon a Time in America 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Where will you be?

Post Once Upon a Time in America

Quote:
Once Upon a Time in America is a 1984 Jewish-American epic crime film co-written and directed by Sergio Leone and starring Robert De Niro and James Woods. The story chronicles the lives of Jewish ghetto youths who rise to prominence in New York City's world of organized crime. The film explores themes of childhood friendships, love, lust, greed, betrayal, loss, broken relationships, and the rise of mobsters in American society.

Leone adapted the story from the novel The Hoods, written by Harry Grey, while filming Once Upon a Time in the West. From there, Leone began production of Once Upon a Time in America. The film went through various casting developments and production issues before filming began in 1982.

The original version by the director was 269 minutes (4 hours and 29 minutes) long, but when the film premiered out of competition at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival, Leone had cut it down to 229 minutes (3 hours and 49 minutes) to appease the distributors. This was the version that was to be shown in European cinemas. However, for the US release on June 1, 1984, Once Upon a Time in America was edited down even further to 139 minutes (2 hours and 19 minutes) by the studio and against the director's wishes. In this short version, the flashback narrative was also changed, by moving the scenes in chronological order. Leone was reportedly heartbroken by the American cut, and never made another film before his death in 1989, making this his final film.

In March 2011 it was announced that original 269 minutes version was to be re-created by a film lab in Italy under the supervision of Leone's children, who have acquired the Italian distribution rights, and the film's original sound editor, Fausto Ancillai, for a premiere in 2012 at either the Cannes Film Festival or the Venice Film Festival.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:08 am
Where will you be?

Post Re: Once Upon A Time in America
I can't believe they cut this down to just over two hours, how could that possibly do Sergio Leone's last and possibly best film justice? The biggest complaint I could possibly make against this movie is that having seen Robert DeNiro circa 2007 I couldn't buy the "aging" of his character. That's no one's fault but time, and even then he's rarely ever been this good. If you are a serious moviegoer who has a desire to see those truly great films and can make it through a nearly 4 hour movie are in for a real treat.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:10 am
Squee

I saw only the Director's cut.

I hated it.

Never felt the need to see the Theatrical cut after that waste of film.

Could cut out awkward silences in the movie and it would be 45 minutes shorter (which I guess is what they did for the Theatrical cut).

An incredibly boring piece of filth.

0 stars

:glare:

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:09 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Also not a fan. Production is impeccable but, in any cut, I don't think this works.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:53 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Post Re: Once Upon a Time in America
3rd best movie. EVER.

Wed May 18, 2011 12:40 pm
We had our time together

I've seen this for the first time yesterday and I loved it. Especially the first 90 or minutes till DeNiro comes out of prison are brilliant. The rest of the movie is still pretty great but I agree with Magnus that the friendship between Noodles/Max never felt as big as the movie wanted to make us believe. Overall, this is a pretty damn great movie and despite it's long running time I wasn't bored for a second. A

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:12 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I have saw three Sergio Leone films and liked none of them (Once Upon a Time in America, Once Upon a Time in the West, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). All were extremely long and featured dashes of brilliance and style but I would never watch one of them again without being paid.

C-

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

its so boring

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:22 am
Forum General

Likewise and I am a person who really loves Once Upon a time In the West...

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I finally got around to watching this and it's pretty good. It's a film of epic proportions and there's a lot to like about it too. The score is great and we get to see a bunch of good actors at work. And it's a good story, but it yet doesn't feel quite that interesting to make it feel worth this massive runtime. But Leone shows of his craft well with the editing and how he sets the mood in different time settings. There some quite graphic rape scenes in it, that feel uncomfortable to a certain extent, but the realism of it is commendable. And there's one nitpick about the blood wounds in this, they look too much like red paint and fake.

B+

Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

On my list, I’m going to watch both, I’m guessing I’ll go theatrical first. Feels more authentic, can’t stand people that watch the prequels or temple of doom first

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]