Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Fabelmans 

Grade:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Fabelmans 
now we know

Post The Fabelmans

Quote:
The Fabelmans is a 2022 American coming-of-age drama film directed by Steven Spielberg and written and produced by Tony Kushner and Spielberg. It is a semi-autobiographical story loosely based on Spielberg's adolescence and first years as a director, told through an original story of the fictional Sammy Fabelman, a young aspiring filmmaker. The film stars Gabriel LaBelle as Sammy, along with an ensemble cast that includes Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogen, and Judd Hirsch. It is dedicated to the memories of Spielberg's real-life parents Arnold Spielberg and Leah Adler.

The Fabelmans had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2022, where it won the People's Choice Award, and had a limited theatrical release in the United States on November 11, 2022, before expanding wide on November 23, 2022, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Post Re: The Fabelmans
Spielberg is the best at the "pure sentimental but not cheesy" emotional scenes in film history and this is him at the TOP of game.

The movie is pretty predictable but fantastic, bland but yet is an instantly emotional film, remarkably watchable and entertaining for what it is. There is recurring "power of movies as story telling vehicle" theme which is great for movie buffs, but they're also kind of an outlet for Sammy as he navigates adolescent issues.

Spielberg and Michelle Williams are going to get the most awards attention. The kid who actually plays Sammy is excellent and no doubt has a future ahead of him. Williams is the best here though & has by far the meatiest role and turns in a borderline iconic performance. I am not up to snuff with other best actress contenders but this is as Oscar friendly of a role as they make and she nails it. Everyone is going the leave the theater noting she was great. Dano and Rogan are fine as usual, though I couldn't escape the thought that I am watching Seth Rogan be a surrogate father to kid Speilberg.

Highly encourage everyone to see this and think box office legs will be outstanding.

Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:27 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was mostly great though the David Lynch cameo at the end felt pointless and annoying. The entire cast was fabulous, particularly Michelle Williams - and special mention to Chloe East who is absolutely hilarious here. A-

Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Have a free night tonight so finally seeing this lol. There is no hype around this at all, would not shock me if it disappoints when it comes to nominations

Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:28 pm
Hold the door!

I liked it a lot. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but in terms of coming of age movies, its as good and cinematic as they get in 2022. The performances were all great. It felt slight but I'm just not a fan of the genre in general, so the fact I was never bored like I was in Licorice Pizza and didn't think it was as predictable as CODA is a mark in its favor

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:15 pm
Hold the door!

This was exquisitely directed as well. The more I think about it, I was so transported into the Fabelmans world and their problems.

Definitely an impactful, memorable film

Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:52 pm
Extraordinary

I enjoyed the film and Michelle Williams is the highlight.

I thought a lot about Almost Famous when I was watching this but felt this didn't go as far in how it captured topics like adolescence and youth in terms of depth.

The younger Spielberg really stood out and also would have liked more from him too. Still a great film to watch. A-

Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mmm. I thought this was fine. No complaints but I don't really get this being praised as one of the best of the year.

Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

I thought this was pretty exceptional and one of the best coming of age type movies ever. I didn't expect going in for there to be this big affair storyline instead of just "Spielberg grows up", but I think it added the drama it needed. I would be happy to see Michelle win Best Actress for this but I also think Paul Dano did a great job with the tension with Sammy with their differences and unsaid things with Williams likely knowing the whole time, and LaBelle is a potential star and every bit as good as Williams. Spielberg is on his game from the start, I especially loved the fake movies like Ditch Day. It did feel a little long and I was worried the bullies part wouldn't be as good but by the time of his big conversation with him and sexy jesus freak GF I think it worked. And the final scene with the Lynch cameo is gold. This is a great modern Spielberg.

Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:26 am
The Kramer

Decent movie but I'm so glad this didn't win best picture. Throw it in the pile of director biographies where the main character has no flaws and all the conflict is external (aka people doing things to him.) Oh but its highly unique and original because it doesn't have a 2 or : in the title. :P

Good acting and music though.

5.5/10

Wed May 17, 2023 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]