Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 House of 1000 Corpses 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
F 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13

House of 1000 Corpses 
College Boy Z

Post House of 1000 Corpses
House of 1000 Corpses

Quote:
House of 1000 Corpses is a 2003 exploitation horror film written and directed by Rob Zombie; it is his directorial debut. It was released in the United States on April 11, 2003 by Lions Gate Entertainment.

Not a fan of House of 1000 Corpses. It was dissapointing. C

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:50 pm
George A. Romero

i really liked the atmosphere of this movie. captain spaulding quickly has become one of my favorite horror characters. aside from a slightly sub-par ending, i love this movie and am really looking forward to the devil's rejects.

B+

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:52 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Last edited by movies35 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I just watched it today with my brother. I liked it more than the last time I saw it, it's a great, fun flick. My brother on the other hand hated it.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Well, after coming home from The Devil's Rejects I felt compelled to download and watch House of 1000 Corpses.

=;

Let's just say that it's amazing how much of an improvement Rejects is over its predecessor. Thank christ Rob didn't carry over the campy house-of-horrors vibe into his new movie. Aside from an amusing opening with Captain Spaulding and a nice performance by Bill Moseley, House of 1000 Corpses is total shit. It seemed kind of like a college kid's dream film project, which may not be far from the truth. These characters have almost nothing in common (thankfully) with their counterparts in The Devil's Rejects. Baby is nowhere near as annoying and Otis is far more serious. Hell, even Tiny has improved make-up effects. The house is also different I think. The only guy that really stays the same through both is Captain Spaulding.

I definitely have a greater appreciation for Devil's Rejects now after seeing that.

D

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

One severely f***ed up, brilliant, old school horror film!, 21 April 2003

I think many self proclaimed horror afficiondoes (I being one of them) are simultaneously in debt to Scream for revitalizing a dormant genre like horror and loathe it for revitalizing the dormant horror genre. For every brilliant and innovative film like Sixth Sense, The Ring and Blair Witch Project, you get such stratagem like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Darkness Falls and so on. Many film makers looking for a quick buck throw together a quickie horror film and hope they can catch a society sleeping and lull us into the illusion that we have seen a good film. With the decade of the 70's long behind us, we sometimes forget films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Last House on the Left, Black Christmas and Halloween. Names like Carpenter, Craven, Romero and Hooper are now more synonymous with the shock pop culture than they are with the brilliant exposes that they created. And that is a shame.

But now comes along Rob Zombie and you can put his name along side the greats from yesteryear as a man who has guts and grit and as someone who loves the nasty films that we may be ashamed to admit that we do. Zombie's HOOC is a throw back to when films could get away with the carnage of a film like this. While obviously tipping his cap to films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead and Last House on the Left, it is only a tangential tip and one that never strays far from Zombies own touch. Simply put, this is one sick and twisted and macabre film. This is what has been missing from the horror genre since the early 80's. While Craven and Williamson paved the way from the new breed of horror films, lest we forget the ones that they paid homage to. Rob Zombie has remebered all too well.

House of 1000 Corpses has a great many similarities to Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It has a twisted family, four stupid teens that haven't seen enough horror films, it takes place in the 70's, it has a roadside gas station that starts the ball rolling, it has a hitchhiker that leads them to their doom and a plethora or other obvious imbroglios that tend to come from TCM. But it also has a style of it's own. I read somewhere that Rob Zombie is a horror buff and that he has seen just as many horror films as the rest of us. It shows here. He has given us a pastiche of every horror cliche and at the same time given new life to the fraudulent horror genre as of late.

HOOC looks and feels like a well crafted horror film and it has all the right components in place. From the director of photography, Alex Poppas using dark reds and ominous blacks and dusky hues to accentuate the hopelessness at hand, to set designer Lisa Sessions creating a truly wonderful haunted house to the actors to the direction, this is a throw back to the incomparable horror films from days gone by.

I can see how some would say that this is too much of a rip off of TCM, but I think that that film was only a blue print, the rest was Zombie at his finest. There are some images in this film that are strong and will not leave you easily. Images like one of the main characters being operated on and dissected by one of the crazies, or a scalping or any number of barbaric images you can witness watching this film. Obviously this is not a film for everyone and to those that don't like this sort of thing, stay away. But for anyone that can appreciate the time and effort and the labour of love that went into making such a disturbing film, this is something you may not see for another 25 years so enjoy it while you can. You can now add Zombie's name to the list of "young" directors that made their mark in the horror genre and I certainly hope to see much more from him. This film is sick, depraved and f***in brilliant.

9 out of 10- This is a horror film that is truly horrific and one that deserves to be recognized as a true barometer for the horror industry in the years to come.

One last thing, this is not a film for the faint of heart. If certain images disturb you, and I'm sure you can figure out what kind of images those may be, just don't go. Stay home and watch Sixth Sense again. Not that there is anything wrong with Sixth Sense, it is a brilliant film, it is just at polar opposites of horror entities like House of 1000 Corpses!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

C+

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:13 pm
Extraordinary

One of the worst horror films of alltime.Go and watch the film it was trying to be,the original Texas chainsaw massacre.

F

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES has the typical horror storyline: A group of misguided youths happen upon a decrepit farmhouse which is home to a family of insane slayers. The murderers capture, torment, and dispose of the innocents over the course of one wild Halloween night. Debut director Rob Zombie doesn't fall victim to what many recent slashsers have because he embraces the cliches, instead of trying to outsmart them. He delightfully plays out chase-and-stab, torture, etc. sequences and he jams every frame of this film with Halloween iconography which I loved. This is a great Halloween night movie. It has that candy-coated, blood-covered atmosphere of the holiday which is so rarely captured on film. Though the sequel (THE DEVIL'S REJECTS) is a much better film, I still easily recommend seeing this underrated and scary carnival ride of a horror movie.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:57 pm
Where will you be?

Yeah, it was pretty awful. Some nice camera shots here and there, and I guess they were trying, but I found all the endless sadistic violence to be outright boring without anything else to guide the film.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:31 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Freaks me out, but that's why I like it. I like Devil's Rejects slightly more.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: House of 1000 Corpses
Couldn't stand this movie, mostly because of how bad Zombie is at writing. The man shows promise at directing but his writing has never improved from this, his first effort in which the despicable trailer trash ways of basically every character he writes are on full display. And he eventually could stop casting his no talent wife in lead roles. She was at her most attractive here but her acting was even worse than it is now (it still sucks). Poor Rainn Wilson aka Dwight dies a horrible death and is turned into a mermaid (WTF?).

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:09 pm
Wallflower

This movie sucked. But I was able to tolerate it more than Rejects, which may have had better directing but was much more sickening to watch. I agree that Zombie isn't a bad director, just a terrible writer. Wouldn't mind seeing him direct a film he didn't write.

D+

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:53 pm
Pure Phase

This is a lot of fun.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:54 pm
Forum General

It is a pretty boring movie and that is coming from a huge Zombie fan (I loved Rejects and both Halloween films).

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Post Re:
movies35 wrote:
I just watched it today with my brother. I liked it more than the last time I saw it, it's a great, fun flick. My brother on the other hand hated it.

8/10 (B+)

This was the last time I watched it before seeing it on blu a few months ago. My opinion obvs changed :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

D

I didn't like all the cliches and the writing was really weak. The Devil's Rejects is a lot better, imo.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 pm
Wallflower

For some reason I had the urge to revisit this movie. That was a mistake. It's even worse than I remembered. I despise these characters so much. It's disgusting how so many people love them. This movie and this series are total garbage.

F

Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]