Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 All Quiet on the Western Front (2022) 

Grade:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022) 
now we know

Post All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

Quote:
All Quiet on the Western Front is a 2022 German epic anti-war film based on the 1929 novel of the same name by Erich Maria Remarque. Directed by Edward Berger, it stars Daniel Brühl, Albrecht Schuch, Sebastian Hülk, Felix Kammerer, Aaron Hilmer, Edin Hasanovic and Devid Striesow. Set in the closing years of World War I, it follows the life of German soldier Paul Bäumer, who, after enlisting in the German Army with his friends, finds himself at risk to the realities of war, shattering their earliest hopes of becoming heroes.

All Quiet on the Western Front premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 12, 2022, and will be released to streaming on Netflix on October 28, 2022. In August 2022, the film was announced as Germany's submission for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film at the 95th Academy Awards.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:23 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)
There's always the difficulty of watching a film after it's been nominated for Best Picture. Do you overly look for fault or succumb to praising it because you have the Academy to back you up? It can be difficult to get the balance right. Having seen this now, I can say that it is very good in certain aspects, and just good in others. The film is very cold, which of course is aesthetically by design, but it also waits until late on to dangle emotional investment. I believe it's for this reason that it pales in comparison to, say, Saving Private Ryan.

The film offers up fairly generic contrasts between the people running the war and the people fighting it. But it excels in terms of cinematography and in costuming, makeup, the overall production, etc. Very impressively filmed, and the choreography is also authentically performed and decorated. Does it deserve a Best Picture nod? Well, I'd say it does in 2023, but perhaps not in other years. Regardless, I enjoyed it on a basic level of highlighting the pointlessness and bruatlity of war. I was perhaps, at times, more interested in the ceasefire talks, but they are not the focal point.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was shockingly boring and I could not care about anything that was happening. The characters are not relatable and there's nothing to separate it from other war movies, really. Incredibly disappointing and my least favorite of the best picture nominees so far.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:09 am
On autopilot for the summer

Great story, but told too many times before better. The original and even the tv movie are better. The production values are nice, but this story was never about the war, and it is too tame to its characterizations and themes.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:25 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Makes Saving Private Ryan look like a Disney movie

Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:26 am
Devil's Advocate

Very well directed, with the Bowser's Castle score being one of the most memorable for a war movie. The scene with the tanks and the flamethrowers was the standout for me. Adding the armistice negotiation which I understand is not in the book, helps add to the overall anti war message. However, the last act feels a little too much for me, I can live with the 10:59 death but trying to steal from the farmer on the day the war is ending was pretty contrived, plus it made one of the most significant deaths in the movie and Paul's rage over it contributing to his own based on their own stupidity rather than just the senselessness of the war. Still on the whole, a strong modern war movie.

Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]