Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Menu 

Grade:
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Menu 
now we know

Post The Menu

Quote:
The Menu is a 2022 American black comedy horror film directed by Mark Mylod, written by Seth Reiss and Will Tracy, and produced by Adam McKay, Betsy Koch, and Will Ferrell through their production banners Hyperobject Industries and Gary Sanchez Productions respectively. The film stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult, Ralph Fiennes, Hong Chau, Janet McTeer, Judith Light, and John Leguizamo.

The Menu had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2022, and was released in the United States on November 18, 2022, by Searchlight Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Menu
This was certainly very entertaining and exciting but I didn't quite understand the point of why they were all getting killed.

Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:54 pm
Hold the door!

Ralph Fiennes deserves an Oscar nom for this. Anya Taylor Joy was great too

Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:15 am
Indiana Jones IV

This was excellent. So twisted, wild, and original, it's an excellent manifestation of a unique and biting vision. Tonally perfect too, it's laugh out loud funny as well as deeply disturbing and tense. The four actors with highest billing were absolute perfection (Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult, and Hong Chau were all incredible), and the supporting cast fills out the movie organically and with delicious satirical humor. The movie itself exists as a meta example of its own thematic social criticisms. The only thing keeping it from a solid A is its lack of deep emotional resonance.

A-

One of the best of the year. Definite recommend.

Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:48 pm
Extraordinary

I thought this was entertaining but I think the premise/execution were off for me.

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:50 pm
Extraordinary

This was very enjoyable. It's definitely going to become a cult classic. It works on so many ways and perfectly balances campiness with sophistication. I feel good about the future of adult dramas if they maintain this level quality along with films like Glass Onion.

Spoiler: show
I only wish Fiennes survived so they could do a sequel here. I want to know what happens to Anya after this.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Loved this one. Anya Taylor Joy and Ralph Fiennes are both sensational and play well off each other. A-

Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:33 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

I absolutely loved this. A lot of films have underwhelmed me recently, but this truly gave me that feeling of "this is why I love movies". It was thoroughly enjoyable. Great performances by Fiennes, Hoult and, well, the whole cast. It's darkly humorous, meta, knows what it wants to say, and doesn't pull any punches to say it. It's just a great film. You don't know where it's going to go (even if you kind of do) and that's exciting.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The Menu was so good. It's a masterclass of pacing and esclating tension. Really wish I had seen it in theaters.

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:55 pm
Hold the door!

This would be an almost perfect film if the commentary weren't so muddled.

Incredibly enjoyable on a second watch, sad this doesn't seem to have caught on with awards voters. Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor Joy and even Hong Chau (better than she is in The Whale) are incredible

Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:26 am
Extraordinary

Pretty sure Hong Chau is going to get an Oscar in the next 5-10 years with the quality she's been releasing.

The Menu
The Whale

She's in Wes Anderson's next movie this year Asteroid City.
She's in Yorgos Lanthimos's upcoming movie (previously did The Lobster and The Favorite).

She's going to gain a lot of fans once more people discover The Menu on streaming. So spectacular.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:08 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
Are you talking thematically or about the audio mix? Cause I did notice, towards the end, that the ADR wasn't 100% in sync with the lips that were moving. I wasn't sure if my internet was just being slow or something. If I had seen it in theaters then I wouldn't have had to worry about that.

I don't get why this isn't in oscar contention. They love movies about class divide and this one does it as well as anyone else I've seen.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:11 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Are you talking thematically or about the audio mix? Cause I did notice, towards the end, that the ADR wasn't 100% in sync with the lips that were moving. I wasn't sure if my internet was just being slow or something. If I had seen it in theaters then I wouldn't have had to worry about that.

I don't get why this isn't in oscar contention. They love movies about class divide and this one does it as well as anyone else I've seen.

Thematically its clear the film is trying to say something but its not always clear what that is. For example I still don't understand why Margot is let go at the end while everyone else just obediently stays.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:16 pm
The Kramer

Well the reason Margot/Erin is let go is because the movie wants us to side with The Chef over the guests, despite the fact that he's basically running a psychotic murder cult at that point.

In story, it's because she proved to him that she was a giver instead of a taker by letting him have one more moment of happiness, remembering the good ole times, before his death. So letting her go and killing the rest is part of the menu. Everyone else stays because The Chef has convinced them they deserve it. Margot/Erin never put up with any of his bullshit, and in the end that's what saved her. That's how I took it anyways.

I think I would have preferred if he changed his mind about the suicide (s) after the cheeseburger , opening the door for a sequel where he does it in another country or something. But I get that, in story, the character was too far gone. And the smores scene is quite something, we wouldn't wanna lose that.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Enjoyable due to its uniqueness and Fiennes/ATJ, but I agree with zwack the social commentary about class/men/etc. is pretty heavy handed making it the ultimate 2022 horror movie for good or bad, it's like someone saw an "Eat the Rich" meme and had an idea for a movie, at the same time I don't think it's really self aware enough to criticize this type of politicization of art as the attempt to make a Promising Young Woman type men suck message with characters like Hoult, the old cheater or the whole men's folly sequence seemed fairly genuine to me. It somewhat contradicts itself about cheeseburgers because this movie is certainly not one, it's not algae meal or breadless plate either, but it's somewhere in the middle, like a tofu burger served with avocado toast instead of fries.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:10 am
Devil's Advocate

zwackerm wrote:
Thematically its clear the film is trying to say something but its not always clear what that is. For example I still don't understand why Margot is let go at the end while everyone else just obediently stays.

He wants to kill the rich people for taking the joy he once had for cooking and turning into it soul sucking snobby bullshit. Margot is different because she's a working class prostitute who likes cheeseburgers more, and he is grateful to her for giving him one last pure cooking experience, so she lives.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:30 am
Keeping it Light

Nice film, good performances. I'm not blown away by any of it, but I like the concept and a pretty good example of an interesting story taking place at one venue.

B

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]