Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Triangle of Sadness 

Grade:
A 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Triangle of Sadness 
now we know

Post Triangle of Sadness

Quote:
Triangle of Sadness (French: Sans filtre, lit. 'Without Filter') is a 2022 satirical black comedy film written and directed by Ruben Östlund, and marks his English-language feature film debut. It stars Harris Dickinson, Charlbi Dean in her final film role, Dolly de Leon, Zlatko Burić, Henrik Dorsin, Vicki Berlin and Woody Harrelson. The film follows a fashion model celebrity couple who are invited to join a luxury cruise for the ultra-rich, when things begin to go wrong. It is the last film that Charlbi Dean starred in preceding her death in August 2022.

Triangle of Sadness premiered at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival in May 2022, where it received an eight-minute standing ovation and won the Palme d'Or. It was released in France on September 28, 2022, in the United States and Sweden on October 7, in Germany on October 13 and in the United Kingdom on October 28. The film has received generally positive reviews.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:57 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Triangle of Sadness
Triangle of Sadness feels like a movie that was written right after a binge of The White Lotus (and maybe Parasite as a bonus.) Much like that show, this movie is not nearly as clever as it thinks it is, nor does it ever recognize the priviledge that comes with making the product itself. Yet its also pretty funny. You can laugh at the characters while still hoping they survive this ordeal. Woody is only in it briefly but makes the most of his time and steals the show as he usually does.

And the way they use the song "New Noise" is brilliant. I got hyped for that guitar drop as the passengers have their worst day of their lives (and this is a few scenes before the ship sinks.)

I'll give a 6.5/10

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:03 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved this though I thought the first two thirds were better than the final third on the island. A lot of really hilarious dialogue and interplay between the cast. B+

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:50 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

One of my favorites this year. I thought it was smart and very funny (I never thought I'd be in stitches over people vomiting but here we are). But I did think the third act dragged a little and I didn't like the ending. There's plenty of times where an open ending works for me but I also feel like the majority of the movies I see have one. It used to be refreshing when a movie didn't wrap everything up neatly but now it's so common that it's refreshing when they do. A non-ending definitely could have worked here but I wasn't satisfied with this one. It wasn't enough to take away from my enjoyment of the film though.

On a side note: I could have done without the donkey killing being so drawn out. I know it's not real but I found it pretty unpleasant.

I really liked Charlbi Dean in this. It's very sad that she died this year and we won't get to see her in more movies.

I really hope this can sneak into Best Picture at the Oscars. With 10 nominees it's not impossible but if it does it would probably be one of the bottom nominees. Which would be fine as long as it gets in. I also want to see Vicki Berlin and Dolly de Leon nominated in Supporting Actress.

I would have liked to catch this in theaters a second time but I didn't see it until a couple days before it left I believe every theater in the state. I'm going to avoid watching it on demand in case it actually does get nominated for Picture. Then I'll have the chance to see it in a theater again.

9/10

Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:00 am
Devil's Advocate

This is great and definitely better than the Menu. I found it hilarious in many parts, with the opening bill scene being a classic, the vomiting sequence etc. Probably less humor in the third act. It also had a balanced take politically, as despite the argument about capitalism and communist, the 3rd act suggests when things break down people resort to fascist dictatorships. Zlatko Buric was a great scene stealer and it's a shame we won't get to see more Charlbi Dean.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:28 am
Extraordinary

Had Dolly De Leon got in for Supporting Actress over Jamie Lee Curtis (seriously wtf) that whole category would've been absolutely stellar.

I thought this was great. On the nose, sure, but most I've laughed during a film in awhile.

Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:02 am
now we know

I finally caught my first film in a cinema this year! And I thought this was very good. A humorous film but also one with raw, genuine performances to the backdrop of some good points regarding society, gender, and class. I very much enjoyed Carl and Yaya's opening quarrel, and then the big change up with Abigail. Harrelson isn't in it much but he's a welcome Hollywood presence to provide pedigree among the relative newbies, Harrison and Dean.

I was particularly taken by the very small character Alicia, whose real name is also Alicia (Eriksson). She's quite sexy in her waitress uniform. But there's plenty to like here. The score is one of the better ones from 2022. It's nicely filmed, edited, lit, etc. I can definitely see why it has awards attention. It's not the first time that films have tackled class inequality, but here I feel it goes a step further with the turning of the tables, and demonstrating capitalism and wealth in different environments. There are also a lot of details that I feel will bear fruit in the years and decades to come as the film is appreciated and scrutinized more. It also ends with "prestige indie" abruptness, which I particularly liked. It allows that credits ponder that most films don't, and that I miss.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I think the ending would have been much better if it ended a few seconds sooner. It's only the last shot I'm not crazy about. Definitely not a big enough issue to sink the film for me though.

Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:07 am
now we know

I can see why the final shot feels redundant, but I also pondered it and I feel it gives one final chance to the idea of slaves and masters. He's frantically chasing both because that's where his future lies. He needs Abigail to survive and Yaya for his future. He's hedging his bets, and he's a male! It's SO WOKE ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I like the ending, it seems like he found out from the merchant it's a resort, but we don't know if has anything to do with Abigail/Yaya's trip, or if the only thing he's thinking about is getting the fuck outta there asap and returning back to his cushy and non emasculated life

Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:27 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Finally saw this and it blew me away. Absolutely masterful use of cringe throughout. It’s hilarious, upsetting, and uncomfortable in the best way. Acting, writing, direction were all stellar (this would’ve made a big splash in my KJ Movie Nominations). The extended scene with the boat in the storm, the bodily fluids, the captain and the shit king barricaded against the struggling masses, blathering about social philosophy while everything literally goes to shit… genius. A

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:20 pm
The Kramer

I've always assumed that Charlbi was supposed to die at the end, but it would have come off as poor taste considering the actress tragically died in real life.

Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:16 pm
Keeping it Light

Great film, the sharp dialogue keeps it very engaging and I loved every moment of it. While not a fan of gross stuff in films, especially if it's just to shock, this was the most elegant of a vomit fest I've seen on screen. It shows how skilled Östlund is in telling a story and this captures really well some of the zeitgeist on disparity of wealth, haves and havenots of society. Add in the humor and score and its a complete experience.

A-

Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:00 pm
Hold the door!

Could’ve been a lot shorter but to it’s credit kept me engaged the whole time. Strong performances and the story is engaging if drawn out.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]