Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Prey 

Grade:
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Prey 
now we know

Post Prey

Quote:
Prey is a 2022 American science fiction action film directed by Dan Trachtenberg and written by Patrick Aison, based on the Predator franchise by Jim Thomas and John Thomas. It is the fifth installment in the franchise and a prequel to the first four films. It stars Amber Midthunder, Dakota Beavers, Dane DiLiegro, Stormee Kipp, Michelle Thrush, and Julian Black Antelope.

Development of the film began during the production of The Predator (2018), when producer John Davis was approached by Trachtenberg and Aison, with a concept that they had been developing since 2016. The film's title was revealed to be the codename for the fifth installment in the franchise, serving as an origin story for the main villains. Prey premiered at the San Diego Comic-Con on July 21, 2022. It was released by 20th Century Studios as a Hulu original film on August 5, 2022.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:09 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Prey
It's interesting to see a different type of Predator film. The setting is cool, the Predator itself is excellent, and there is certainly an excitement to the fights. But I could not buy the lead character being this rebellious 90s teen back three-hundred years ago. Tribes back then were all about conformity, especially the females. But she was a know-all genius warrior. So the film doesn't start off well, suffering from a Mulan complex, and I also just did not like all the hero mic drop lines, you know, to really lay it on thick that THIS IS A WOMAN KICKING ASS, FELLAS! It's all quite eye-roll worthy. I couldn't buy that she outsmarted and overpowered a Predator. I suppose when I heard of a Predator film set in the 18th century, I expected something raw and authentic like Apocalypto. But this isn't that, like, at all. This felt more like a television movie, or an episode of 1883 but with a Predator lurking around. They all speak English, and it's not as gory as it should have been - the essence is there but I was disappointed how much it pivots away from potential money shots. So, while there are some cool scenes and kills and ideas, Prey will not become the cult classic it feels entitled to become.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was actually incredibly well-done and suspenseful. Amber Midthunder was great. Deserved a theatrical release for sure. B+

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:10 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Cool as shit. Would've liked the last 15 minutes extended to closer to 25.

A/A-

(Also for anyone crying about the language, watch it in Comanche, as it was dubbed by the actors.)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:57 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Utterly superb. I loved how the main character was set up as highly competant from the very start. the links to the other predator movies was well handled. i don't know what else to say. it was just a well tuned action movie. the fact it was not realesed in theatres is a real pity.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:56 pm
The Kramer

Agreed that the last sequence should have gone on longer. Really didn't feel like she earned the kill. How does the Predator not know how its own aiming system works?

Other than that, this was pretty good. The setting and spectacle both work well for this type of film. 7/10

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 pm
now we know

I suppose that's the inherent problem with prequels. We, the audience, know what happens in the future, and that is already built in to our knowledge of the character(s) in the prequel, and it's unshakable to a degree, so when, as it would naturally be, the characters in the prequel are less experienced, make mistakes, and the action or spectacle is less than what we've previously seen [in the future], it can underwhelm and disappoint us. But this is just how it should be, I guess. The predators go on these hunts to improve their hunting skills, so it's only expected that their skills aren't as good in 1719 as they would be in 1987, but when the films are 30+ years apart there's a ton of expectation on the prequel that doesn't necessarily need to be there. It's prequelitis ramped up to epic proportions due to the near 300 year gap.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

This was much better than expected. Worth seeing for the beautiful cinematography alone - but as a bonus you get a quality Predator film and characters that you end up caring about. A shame this wasn't in theatres.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:02 pm
Forum General

First off, I've never seen a Predator movie, so take of that what you will.

This was mostly entertaining. It started a bit slow and the CGI is hilariously awful. There were some great set pieces and lead performance was very good. Solid.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I loved it but the bar was so low for some of these movies it was a refreshing update. Would have done really well theatrically.

Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Gulli wrote:
Utterly superb. I loved how the main character was set up as highly competant from the very start. the links to the other predator movies was well handled. i don't know what else to say. it was just a well tuned action movie. the fact it was not realesed in theatres is a real pity.

:whaa:

gulli?!

Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]