Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank 
now we know

Post Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank

Quote:
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank (formerly known as Blazing Samurai) is a computer-animated martial arts comedy film directed by Rob Minkoff & Mark Koetsier, with additional direction by Chris Bailey. Written by Ed Stone and Nate Hopper, the film is loosely inspired by the 1974 Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles. It features the voices of Michael Cera, Ricky Gervais, Mel Brooks, George Takei, Aasif Mandvi, Gabriel Iglesias, Djimon Hounsou, Michelle Yeoh, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released in the United States on July 15, 2022, by Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:34 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
This was good but also quite generic, which sadly is becoming a trend for animated movies that Ricky Gervais lends his voice to (others being Valiant and Escape from Planet Earth). I am the biggest Gervais fan. He is the most interesting voice in the movie (and the main reason I actually saw it), but the whole production just doesn't have that X factor. It's perfectly serviceable children's entertainment. It has some fun quips and jokes and meta gags as they intertwine modern life with ancient Japan, but it never impressed me like, for example, The Bad Guys.

Gervais has the best character. He plays the evil cat, Ika Chu, and it is the most fun character, but despite me liking his voice and the character individually, it doesn't form a functioning whole. You really need the appearance to match seamlessly with the vocal performance in animated movies. Sometimes it does, other times it doesn't, and with Gervais it doesn't quite get there. You just never feel like that thin cat would have a voice like Ricky Gervais's. But quite the contrary for Mel Brooks and Samuel L. Jackson, who both have excellent voice-to-animation pairings. The others are also fine and well-matched, such as Michael Cera, Djimon Hounsou, and Michelle Yeoh, but Mel and Sam really fit well.

This film would've done better if it was called Blazing Samurai. I've no idea why they changed it, but I couldn't stop thinking that while watching it - there's even a gag which would've only worked if they kept the original title of the movie.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]