Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Top Gun: Maverick 

Rate this film:
A 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Top Gun: Maverick 
Keeping it Light

Post Top Gun: Maverick

Quote:
Top Gun: Maverick is a 2022 American action drama film directed by Joseph Kosinski. It was written by Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer, and Christopher McQuarrie, from a story conceived by Peter Craig and Justin Marks. The sequel to Top Gun (1986), the film stars Tom Cruise as Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a test pilot, alongside Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, Glen Powell, Lewis Pullman, Ed Harris, and Val Kilmer. Cruise and Kilmer reprise their roles from the first film, and the film is dedicated to Top Gun director Tony Scott, who died in 2012.

Top Gun: Maverick premiered at CinemaCon on April 28, 2022, and was theatrically released in the United States on May 27, 2022, by Paramount Pictures in IMAX, 4DX, ScreenX and Dolby Cinema. It was scheduled for release on July 12, 2019, but was postponed to "allow the production to work out all the complex flight sequences". The film was further delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and scheduling conflicts.

Sat May 21, 2022 6:06 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Top Gun: Maverick
I'm the first to review this apparently lol.

I liked it better than the first one because these are some of the most intense and exciting action sequences ever put to screen. The story and characters are not terrible, but they obviously don't measure up.

Fri May 27, 2022 11:13 pm
Veteran

I enjoyed it. Some of the casting reflected Hollywood sensibilities but it wasn’t too distracting. Tom Cruise is as great as he was in the first film. The action was literally edge-of-the-seat for me, both in the training exercises and the main mission. There were some tear jerking moments as well. It has everything! The last 30 minutes of the film propelled it above the original.

A

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri May 27, 2022 11:18 pm
Extraordinary

The last act is awesome and why this movie is making $$$$$

Sat May 28, 2022 1:43 am
Superfreak

good lord Jennifer Connelly is beautiful.

Sat May 28, 2022 3:42 pm
Keeping it Light

So yeah, this totally lived up to expectations and more for me. An excellent experience from start to finish, full of thrills. Cruise is still fantastic as Maverick, unbelievably as much at the top of his game as decades ago. The soundtrack is pulsating, from 80's tracks to the vibrations of planes racing through the sky, kept me glued to my seat. The film is a blockbuster of the best kind, bombastic action and supported by lovable characters. Kosinski already had my favor since his first film, but he goes to another level with this as well, not missing a beat and putting together a experience that's one of my favorite of the last the few years. I love it and look forward to seeing it again soon.

A

Sun May 29, 2022 4:36 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was...fine? It's well-made obviously and Tom Cruise gives a strong performance but I didn't think it was anything revolutionary, whether it be the paper-thin characters or good but repetitive action sequences. I was a bit more excited for it given the hype. B-

Mon May 30, 2022 10:52 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Is Lewis Pullman in it much? I have a crush on him :P.

Mon May 30, 2022 11:37 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'd say in terms of screentime of the younger cast he's probably fourth.

Tue May 31, 2022 2:53 pm
Profile YIM
Romosexual!

A+ :D LOVED IT!

The aerial battles :noway: :noway: :noway: were fucking awesome and MADE THE MOVIE!
I saw it on IMAX and highly recommend everyone see it in that format.

Tue May 31, 2022 2:55 pm
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I'd say in terms of screentime of the younger cast he's probably fourth.

Thanks.

I watched the original today and now I'm more excited for this.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:23 pm
The Kramer

Went above my original expectations, but a bit below my adjusted ones (after reviews and box office.)

A lot of the first half is the corny military stuff that made the first Top Gun meh adjace. I get why they do this, those planes don't come cheap, but still...

The finale more than makes up for it though. Just an incredibly exciting stretch of film. Very glad I saw it in theaters instead of waiting for Paramount+.

B+

Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:23 pm
Extraordinary

Finally saw it today. It's very good and completely understand why its resonating with audiences.

They know what audiences want to see. As much as they can add more character development for the new cast, the flying is what people want to see most.

It was clear the movie was a labor of love for those involved and the attention they made to honor the original. It was a stunning update to make a 36 year old movie resonate with today's audiences.

I would have loved to hear Berlin's Take My Breath Away in this one as well!

Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

This is the most satisfying blockbuster in a long tome. I loved it.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:58 am
100% That Bitch

So much win. A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:36 pm
Superfreak

thompsoncory wrote:
This was...fine? It's well-made obviously and Tom Cruise gives a strong performance but I didn't think it was anything revolutionary, whether it be the paper-thin characters or good but repetitive action sequences. I was a bit more excited for it given the hype. B-

Upon second viewing, this is where I am at. It's great to see what is basically a well-done prime Bay/Bruckheimer film again. But the award the most useful, generic, throwaway love interest in a TC film probably goes to the ever stunning Jennifer Connelly from this one. Hangman/Glenn Powell doing a his moderate best Val Kilmer impression came off as awkward. Miles Teller is less annoying than usual but the subplot about "You pulled my papers :thumbsdown: " is clearly just random stuff made up to create some conflict.

The music and every possible visual is unreal. The dog fights still pale in comparison to Bay's rousing PEARL HARBOR aerial battles.

A-/B+

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am
Devil's Advocate

The air scenes are amazing, quite possibly some of the best action scenes ever, not just in the 3rd act but the earlier Mav owns everyone training sequence, and the opening are also great. However the non action scenes are better in the first movie than this one. I don't know if they originally wrote it for for Charlie, but the Connelly stuff is pretty weak and a wannabe of the first movie, although Cruise does his to save those scenes acting wise. I might have preferred if Goose Jr was the one with the romantic interest storyline, and some of the characters like the "stealth" guy who nobody notices, don't really get any arc. The Iceman scene was great and Hamm also works. Teller looked like Goose but other than that didn't blow me away, Glen Powell seems like a guy that could get cast in a Star Wars spinoff or John Carter/The Lone Ranger/etc. type movie that bombs, and the girl was pretty generic. That I didn't know who the bad guy country was or the lack of "save the world" type stakes laid out for such an insane hard mission on 3 weeks notice, distracted me a little bit.

This is all picking hairs since as an action movie alone it's really enjoyable and Cruise gives another great star performance in this series in a different way from the first.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:42 am
Keeping it Light

I went to see it a few more times, and it's just really amazing, the opening is so mood setting, it gives me a rush and a big smile each time. And with every viewing it puts a stamp on great Cruise is on screen, while Teller, Powell and Connelly are perfect in it too. Kilmer makes the most of his limited time, the Ice-Maverick meeting as well as the Great Balls of Fire scene are such great bridges to the first film. The film is great throughout, but the biggest kicks are probably when Cruise goes mach 10, does the mission training in 2:15 and the whole end mission. The beach football scene is fitting too, accompanied by the great I Ain't Worried and I love Gaga's Hold My Hand as well.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:00 pm
now we know

So I finally got to see it. I had it downloaded for weeks but chose to see it at the cinema first, and it didn't disappoint. It's really quite faultless and so satisfying. Just a sublime sequel in every regard - it knows exactly what its fans like and it totally delivers. There's not even any question that it's the best film of the year. It's a total feel-good movie, too, but what pleased me most is how edge-of-your-seat it is. The battle scenes (heck, the training scenes!) are intense, and each of the new pilots is likeable in relation to how integral they are to the story. Perfectly balanced. I had a smile on my face for almost all of it. It hits all the right notes. And Cruise yet again proves why he's the top movie star in the world.

The Top Gun theme is also very catchy and hummable.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
So I finally got to see it.
About time, commie. :P